What will make a bigger impact on the sport CBS or BUDLIGHT?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » What will make a bigger impact on the sport CBS or BUDLIGHT?
POLL: Which is the bigger deal???
Budlight & UFC 56% (22)
Elite XC & CBS 44% (17)
Kracker_Jap
2/28/08 7:58:42PM
What will be a bigger impact on the sport,

Elite xc making it onto CBS?

UFC getting Budlight as a sponsor?

My thoughts are I'm not sure which channel is CBS its been so long since I have payed attention to anything other than Spike, Speed TV, and fox news

The first beer I ever drank was Budlight and the after that I switched to imports

but know alot more drunks on a budget than people who can tell my what plays on CBS, so i'm going to say the Budlight deal will end up making a bigger impact.....

loonytnt
2/28/08 8:04:41PM
well i would say budlight just because cbs is EXC, now if it was ufc on cbs id say different, kimbo on cbs well...lol i dont think its going to be as bad as people think but for new mma fans kimbo going make mma like a street fight for some. both are HUGE tho
wolfman
2/28/08 8:17:40PM
I think loonytnt sumed it up well. If the UFC had made the deal with CBS it would have been huge! Both are big in their own right obviously. Oh, and it's sponsor not sponcer. Sorry, but that spelling was so bad I just had to point it out.

You pay attention to Faux news? I think I just threw up a little in my mouth.
j/k

TimW001
2/28/08 8:18:34PM
I think the CBS + XC deal will be alot like the NBC + WWE deal. No real proomoting just soem shows on saturdays.
MALICE
2/28/08 8:35:22PM
I have to say the Bud Light deal. I mean, who knows more about marketing than Anheuser-Busch. They could take Grannies playin checkers, and make it the next big event. O.K. terrible example, but you get the point.

Anyways, I just dont see people going crazy over EliteXC on CBS. Nowhere near as much as they did for TUF. It is nice for mma fans. And I'm sure it will help out EliteXC, but I just dont think it will be the next big leap in mma.
DevonFoxy
2/28/08 9:29:55PM
The Bud Light for the UFC is huge. I really think this is going to help them get the Fox deal and lock in for there prime time spot. When they do get on to basic T.V we will see whose numbers are better. I think its great XC got the CBS as it means a great deal for the MMA fans and MMA in general but personally I like Fox more as the color is better imo.
The Bud Light deal is Huge for the simple fact that MMA is getting mainstream again step by step. The world will soon know that its not a bloodsport and i really think the Bud Light sponsorship is going to be another great stepping stone for MMA.

dstlvb
2/28/08 9:41:35PM
I would definatly say its Bud Light. I have heard on more than one occasion that the one thing the UFC and MMA has not got is a major Madison Ave sponsor. That has now changed. Bud is associated with all the biggest sporting events and now its with the UFC. Other companies that were hesitant to get into MMA now have a international company that is a wiz at marketing teaming with the UFC. To me with so many channels in todays world and almost everyone having at least basic cable is there a real big differance between CBS and Spike. I would guess 90% of the houses that have CBS have Spike also. Its all "Free" tv to me.
SpiderSilva
2/28/08 9:58:34PM
okay I really don't think EXC is ready for reg TV UFC yes do to their history Kimbo is not really someone I want to rep MMA on national TV

ie: Street thug KIMBO brought to fight in MMA not good not good at all

This will just help prove what we as fans and practioners of MMA have been defending that this is not street fighting this IS a sport

This is how I see it
D0wnUnd6e6r
2/28/08 10:09:59PM
I love to watch UFC and I love to drink beer... Although Bud Light does taste like ultimate crap.... Whatever, Bud Light... only because I think more people like to drink beer more than they like to watch CBS though. Just wanted to make that clear
pv3Hpv3p
2/28/08 10:43:17PM
The bud light deal will be bigger for the UFC in the long run... it's definitely a step up from Mickey's... But the amount of exposure that EXC will get from being on a major network is a huge plus for a long company...

So, in the present, better deal for Elite... In the future, better deal for the UFC
Pitbull09
2/28/08 11:22:09PM
Elite+CBS would be big just cause Elite is way less known to the public other than Kimbo being there.

I personally think the Budlight deal would be better for MMA however. Start getting MMA some high paying advertisers for more fights on cable (Spike). I dont want people to watch their first MMA event and it be Elite on CBS, I just dont think it will be a good example of MMA at first
MALICE
2/28/08 11:28:24PM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

The bud light deal will be bigger for the UFC in the long run... it's definitely a step up from Mickey's... But the amount of exposure that EXC will get from being on a major network is a huge plus for a long company...

So, in the present, better deal for Elite... In the future, better deal for the UFC

Good way to look at it. I agree. EXC may get a big boost in fans from the deal with CBS, which might make people say "What is this mma stuff? It's pretty cool." And once they are hooked, they will find their way to the WEC, IFL, Dream, WVR, and of course the UFC. So, yes this will help the sport by increasing fanbase in the near future.

But, the UFC getting a huge sponsor like Bud Light (Anheuser-Busch) is really going to give them the freedom to do pretty much whatever they desire. Like get a deal with like say FOX. Who knows what they will do, but I'm sure we'll see some great fights. And in the long run the UFC will impact the sport more than EXC and continue their reign on top.
postman
2/29/08 12:15:10AM
I think the CBS deal is going to force the UFC to sign with another Network. Thats why I picked that. But on the other hand there is now a good chance there will be bud light specials at the bar during the fights. And that is always a GOOD thing.
Pookie
2/29/08 12:27:52AM
Budlight will make a bigger impact in the long run as it is essentially more money coming into the company.

But the cbs deal will make bigger waves. Since the sport is still coming into its "legitimacy", so to speak, landing a spot on the same network that airs the superbowl is a bigger deal. Hopefully they give it a good timeslot, if not then it wont really matter.
Kracker_Jap
2/29/08 12:40:27AM
After thinking about it for a while doesn't signing with a major network like the Elite CBS deal automatically lead to more sponsors???

With the Elite shows being free now I will tivo them and watch'em I'm sure alot of others will too... it seems like a good time for sponsors to get some cheaper advertising dollars towards our demographic ???
jiujitsufreak74
2/29/08 2:48:26AM
i think people are looking at the competition disparity between the UFC and ProElite to make their decision. that is a mistake imo. the question asked what will have the biggest impact, and the answer to that will be the one that gains the most national exposure. if broad casted on CBS, a lot more people will be exposed to MMA since it is on basic cable as well and is on tone of the most viewed channels in America right now. When ProElite is aired on CBS, the exposure MMA will get to the general public will be enormous. now, i did not say whether it will be good or bad exposure, but only time will tell. imo the CBS deal will have the biggest impact on the sport of MMA and look for MMA to start to form its mainstream niche while airing on CBS. now, would i rather UFC be on CBS...of course. however the fact is that ProElite got the deal and it will be the one to get the most exposure for MMA. so, to answer the question simply, air time on a major channel will have more of an impact then a big time sponsor imo at least in terms of exposure and main stream niches.
mrsmiley
2/29/08 5:10:07AM

Posted by Kracker_Jap

After thinking about it for a while doesn't signing with a major network like the Elite CBS deal automatically lead to more sponsors???

With the Elite shows being free now I will tivo them and watch'em I'm sure alot of others will too... it seems like a good time for sponsors to get some cheaper advertising dollars towards our demographic ???

My thoughts exactly.Being on CBS,I would think,would lead to bigger sponsers for Elite XC.

I think some people might be under -estimating Elite XC. I know that Ken Shamrock is far from being the best fighter in the world today,but he's still a huge name,and one of the biggest draws the UFC ever had.Now he's with Elite XC,who now has a deal with CBS.Then you have Kimbo Slice.Sure were really not sure how solid his arsenal of MMA skills are,but the guy has got a lot of popularity.It seems,at least were I live,that his name comes up a lot in MMA talk.I think for better or for worse he's become,or will become a popular name in MMA.Their's just something about the guy that appeals to people.Add in the fact that this guy,who is considered one of the most contraversal athletes in the sport,might get to fight one the biggest draws ever for the UFC,live on CBS,and I think your dealing with a major contender in terms of viewership.

I also remember and interview a month or two back with Dana White talking about the UFC expanding into Europe,and him talking about how it's a very difficult thing to do.I then remember reading around the same time on SHERDOGS front page,that Elite XC bought out an MMA promotion based in Europe.
That always stuck in my mind as interesting.

Only times gonna tell,but I think Elite XC is going to become a pretty good contender for the UFC.I don't see them outdoing the UFC by no means,but I think their going to make an impact.