Big Timmy Sylvia gone.

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Big Timmy Sylvia gone.
big_timmy
3/29/08 1:10:11AM
With news of big timmy leaving the UFC, does anyone really care?

Sure it leaves another hole in the heavyweight division to fill, but is he really taking away that much?
ncordless
3/29/08 1:17:18AM
Yes he is. He an Arlovski are the most recognizable fighters at HW the UFC has. Furthermore, this move portends a huge shift in heavyweight MMA. Almost all the top Heavyweights are being snatched up by non-exclusive contracts. This could spell a huge change in how fighters are managed, promoted, and who they are allowed to fight.

I personally am for anything that makes MMA more about the fighters and less about the promoter.
cmill21
3/29/08 1:23:42AM
I'm just wondering how pissed Nog is that he has no one to fight anymore. People can still believe that the UFC has "all the top talent" but in the HW div they do not.
big_timmy
3/29/08 1:35:46AM
It occured to me about 2 months ago that the UFC isnt the place to be for Heavyweights anymore. Its sad, cause i live in Australia and the only thing i can get my hands on ppv wise is UFC. So the only thing i can do to find news and shit is on the net, and it just aint the same. No longer can i see a ppv, and expect to see a good heavyweight fight.

My point of this thread is though, with all the good talent out there already, and the lack of it in the UFC, is big tim really a big loss? I dont beleive he is. I think losing AA is a bigger loss, and even Randy who isnt even that talented these days. But i dont beleive the UFC has been that full of talent, Hevyweight i mean, for a while now. There are no rivaleries anymore, no one calling out anyone worth it. And with Dana being so restrictive with his contracts, there is never a chance for UFC fighters to go out and have those big fights, cause the talent is scattered everywhere.
Kpro
3/29/08 2:09:50AM
I'm sure he and UFC management had the talk that he wasn't hopping back into the title hunt after his recent loss, especially with one fight left, so they both decided parting ways would be the best idea.

The UFC HW division will trek on regardless of any one or five people, as the are the single organization in this hemisphere that can actually BUILD a star.

And a year or two down the road, if they feel Timmay can contribute to another title run, and I'm sure he will after Adrenaline MMA falters; they'll again, both decide that re-linking up will be the best idea.

This is good news for Timmay, the UFC, and Adrenaline MMA. There is no loser.
xchickox
3/29/08 11:03:56AM

Posted by big_timmy
and even Randy who isnt even that talented these days. .

how the hell is randy couture not that talented these days?
keith-hackney1
3/29/08 11:49:22AM
Everyone on this site slates big tim for being a tall lanky joke fighter, now he's left the ufc, everyone turns their face and starts to think that its a wrong move and how the ufc will miss big tims presence in the high ended competition grounds of the octagon. I love the way this wagon seems to come and go for fighters, big tim lost to the best mma fighter of all time in couture, beat up nog then lost via a choke, and everyone thinks he's done in the ufc. The truth is, other than nogueira, tim would beat any fighter that division has to offer, including AA in a fourth fight. Tim done AA twice, he wouldnt struggle in a fourth bout with him. So the way i see it, the ufc has just lost their number 2 heavyweight what with nogueira holding the belt and couture left, so really, the ufc have lost out. Big tim is still in the top 5 of heavyweights in the world right now, and i see him walking straight into a rematch with couture or a shot at fedor in another orginisation at the snap of a finger. So many promotions will be looking for tim to represent their company.
Silly silly move dana .... !!!!!!
mrkennedy
3/29/08 5:29:19PM
im very happy of that news i really dont like this three last fight
Jackelope
3/29/08 6:59:22PM
People may not like Big Tim, but I don't think that has anything to deal with them bitching about him leaving the UFC. Like him or not, he IS a top HW.

The UFC couldn't make a fight happen between Fedor and Couture, and this is all ripple effect stuff we're seeing. The UFC did themselves and the MMA world a huge detriment by not making Fedor vs. Couture happen. It's most evident in the HW division as we see the ripples in the lake continue to expand.

The UFC will survive, and it's HW's will continue to thrive. Someone else said it- the UFC is capable of building up a fighter's name better than any other organization. Which is good for them and the casual fan. Unfortunately those of us who follow MMA religiously will know that 4 of the best 5 HW's in the world won't be fighting each other in the foreseeable future.

Fedor
Couture
Barnett
Sylvia
mkiv9secsupra
3/29/08 7:20:31PM
Sadly i do care that he is gone. But it may turn out to be a good thing. If a company can secure enough quality fighters to compete with the UFC then the UFC will be forced to step up their game and change some of the things fans hate, such as noncross-promotional fights and poor contracts.
candynuts
3/29/08 7:35:13PM
This leaves a big(ger) gap in the HW division. I mean REALISTICALLY who could the UFC get to help the HW division?? Heavyweights have always been my favorite division and it kinda sucks that one of the best in the division decided to leave.

loonytnt
3/29/08 7:37:54PM
im pissed i wanted to see brock vs tim
mkiv9secsupra
3/29/08 7:47:27PM

Posted by loonytnt

im pissed i wanted to see brock vs tim

but a "possible" Barnett vs Tim is even better
jgtribbett
3/29/08 10:47:55PM

Posted by ncordless

Yes he is. He an Arlovski are the most recognizable fighters at HW the UFC has. Furthermore, this move portends a huge shift in heavyweight MMA. Almost all the top Heavyweights are being snatched up by non-exclusive contracts. This could spell a huge change in how fighters are managed, promoted, and who they are allowed to fight.

I personally am for anything that makes MMA more about the fighters and less about the promoter.

i personally for fighters (reguardless of popularity or notoriety) who are skilled and can do things like A. Silva has done and challenge ppl from other sports. I mean... the guy is really just a big guy who knows how to use his size. Anyone else his weight with anyskilled is gonnakill him imo.. and honestly... he lost to couture, he did lose to nog. He may have even lost to Vera if he wouldnt have broken his hand. Idk ... i've never been a fan. sorry

p.s. barnett (fat ass) will demolish sylvia..
mrliquid
3/29/08 11:03:56PM
I didn't mind big tim I don't think he was the most exciting fighter to watch but he he had long reach and pretty good striking but I don't think him leaving will make a huge impact I think alot of people are wrong when they say there is no talent in the HW division Arlovski is still a talented fighter he was dominate before he could still have a good career ahead of him Heath Herring is on his way up with better conditioning GG isn't going anywhere still dangerous on his feet and the ground than you got Big Nog and you can't count out Mir even though his last fight didn't last long he looked in better shape and could easily be champ again, I wouldn't say the division is packed with talent but I don't think its in any trouble either.
cowcatcher
3/30/08 2:00:47PM
im hoping timmy gets to fight fedor and barney so we can see where one of 2 guys(the other being AA) that were the faces of the ufc HW division for a few years stack up against others. nog beat tim, but tim looked pretty damn good up until the end and i have to wonder how hed do against the aforementioned fighters as well as sergei, overeem, aleks, and so on. how he does against talent from other orgs is going to determine how we view the ufc hw division pre-nog. if he wins the ufc had the best all along and the pro-pride crowd cant say much about it, if he loses the ufc huggers dont smell so rosey. his career at this point is going to be interesting to watch. also, since he, and rothwell signed, but are both MFS products, what are the odds of those 2 squaring off?
Jackelope
3/30/08 2:45:37PM
Yeah I don't see he and Rothwell going at it any time soon. Personally, anyway. Besides- Rothwell is alright, but I think Timmy would crush him as is.

I think Barnett is Tim's worst matchup out of those mentioned. There's really not too many bad match ups for someone Tim's size and skillset, but Barnett strikes me as one of those guys. I'm sure Fedor would beat him, but size, striking and takedown wise that's a bad matchup for Fedor.
big_timmy
4/20/08 11:07:04PM
The dude really was boring.
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1