$20 for big tim?

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » $20 for big tim?
cloppio
3/27/08 12:56:39PM
so i went to tim's web site to find out what this "big thing" is and i saw that tim wants $20 for a signed photo of him. i've never gotten into autographs, but to pay for it? and to pay for big tim? come on. what do you guys think? would you pay for someone to write there name? if so, why? and how much would you pay? i'm just wondering....i've never seen the draw.
StevenSeagal
3/27/08 1:14:48PM
like asking for $20 toilet paper
Jipper
3/27/08 1:23:45PM

Posted by StevenSeagal

like asking for $20 toilet paper

Rough toilet paper. I can get rolls of the soft stuff for $5. It's a bad deal dude don't buy!
Rush
3/27/08 4:46:54PM

Posted by cloppio

come on. what do you guys think? would you pay for someone to write there name? if so, why? and how much would you pay? i'm just wondering....i've never seen the draw.

I've never been interested in autographs of any fighter, actor, whatever. I'm happy with a photo of myself with the other person. I only have one autograph, which is GSP's signed on a photo. The only reason I have it is because it was given to me by him. I didn't ask for it.

As to your other question, yes, people do pay for autographs. For example Star Wars fans pay various amounts of money for actors to sign. These actors go to conventions and charge a small fee for their signature (either on a photo of their character or on something of your choice). Again, I don't go to these conventions so I don't know the price, but 10$ and up is a reasonable estimate for a signature. In a lot of cases, people pay for them because it is easier to get them that way. Some times, paying for autographs means you can get multiple different signatures from one room/event. This is an attractive alternative for some people that don't want to spend the time to get one (by chance) for free.

Some people collect them for re-sale and some do it for fun. For example, a poster or book that contains multiple signatures is certainly "more valuable" than a collection of individual "loose" autographs. And some actors do not give out their autograph easily so theirs is worth more on the collector's market. i.e. If you have a photo of Han Solo signed by Harrison Ford, it's worth a good chunk of cash.

I guess the draw is the same as any collecting hobby. It's about the hunt and satisfaction of finding the missing parts to your collection. Again, I don't understand the draw for autographs for myself, but people do go nuts over them.
bls1919
3/27/08 8:59:18PM
not from TIIMMMAHHH!!!