If the next 'big things' actually worked out

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » If the next 'big things' actually worked out
« Previous Page
KungFuMaster
5/25/12 11:43:57AM

Posted by postman

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by grappler0000

Well, that's one way to explain capturing the title and defending it twice, while tying the UFC record for HW defenses. I guess it's all in what you're trying to sell.

Since it was such an easy task, we'll compare Brock's opponents to the others that have achieved the same feat:

Brock - Couture, Mir, Carwin
Sylvia - Arlovski, Arlovski, Monson
Arlovski - Sylvia, Eilers, Buentello
Couture - Randleman, Rizzo, Rizzo

Not too shabby for a guy in his 4th, 5th, and 6th pro fights...without any amateur fights to claim. FTR though, Couture was the only one that was drastically smaller, but that was actually Randy's strategy and he intentionally got as small as he could in order to gain a speed advantage against Brock.

Posted by postman

So what? He beat Hearring Couture Mir and Carwin. He was never given a slouch of a fight. Did they find better fighters? Sure they did. What more do you want from the guy? No matter what you want to say about his path he still won the title from the actual champ and defended 2 times. How many LHW couldn't defend their title even one time? Was he a raging sucess like ever pimple headed WWE fan thought he would be? No Was he a complete flop like most hardcores thought he would be? Absolutly not.

Was he effective against smaller guys? Of course - it was like taking candy from a baby.

I would say JDS is much smaller then him even Cain isn't as big. Cain already has the win and JDS more then likley would win that fight.

As for the Hype machine at the moment he ranks as one of the the top HW UFC champions of all time. YOu can't take that from him. To be honest if you look back at what people in the know where saying about him very few even gave him a shot. He far exceded my expectations. What was your thoughts on him before the first Frank Mir fight? Did you think he would wreck everyone and hold the belt for 5 years? I'm asking only because i wonder if this is where we are so far off on this subject.

To be honest, I thought Brock was going to tear a hole in every HW fighters' ass. He was fast and ferociously strong.

When there were talks of bringing Fedor to the ufc to compete against Brock, my loyalty to the emperor prevented me from acknowledging any kind of fear for the emperor.

I recently wrote some mumbo jumbo about how MMA training actually instilled fear into Brock. I personally felt he was better off not knowing what fighters could do to him. He was fearless, fast, and ferociously strong. If you analyze Brock's fights in chronological order, you will see a trend. He started off fearless>>>and as he became more aware of the different elements of MMA through training, he became more cautious to the point he was hesitant - and his very last fight looked as though he was even somewhat scared or nervous.

There is no wrong or right opinion on the matter - simply because there are too many variables which attributed to Brock's early retirement from MMA e.g. health, family, and the vigorous demand of the sport etc., all of which are significant in that no particular variable can be valued more than the other.

KungFuMaster
5/25/12 11:46:03AM

Posted by Boo_Radley21

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by grappler0000

Well, that's one way to explain capturing the title and defending it twice, while tying the UFC record for HW defenses. I guess it's all in what you're trying to sell.

Since it was such an easy task, we'll compare Brock's opponents to the others that have achieved the same feat:

Brock - Couture, Mir, Carwin
Sylvia - Arlovski, Arlovski, Monson
Arlovski - Sylvia, Eilers, Buentello
Couture - Randleman, Rizzo, Rizzo

Not too shabby for a guy in his 4th, 5th, and 6th pro fights...without any amateur fights to claim. FTR though, Couture was the only one that was drastically smaller, but that was actually Randy's strategy and he intentionally got as small as he could in order to gain a speed advantage against Brock.

Posted by postman

So what? He beat Hearring Couture Mir and Carwin. He was never given a slouch of a fight. Did they find better fighters? Sure they did. What more do you want from the guy? No matter what you want to say about his path he still won the title from the actual champ and defended 2 times. How many LHW couldn't defend their title even one time? Was he a raging sucess like ever pimple headed WWE fan thought he would be? No Was he a complete flop like most hardcores thought he would be? Absolutly not.

You guys are missing the point of my argument.

Back in days of Randy Couture and Pedro Rizzo, the hype machine was almost non-existent. Contrary to that, Brock received an overzealous amount of hype when he entered the ufc>>> and as soon as they put somebody with a respectable size against him, what happened? Exactly - he got pummeled and it was the start of the end for him.

I am not here to dispute the facts which you two seem to be passionate about. Facts can be verified. I'm here to evaluate the effectiveness of Brock Lesnar.

Was he effective against smaller guys? Of course - it was like taking candy from a baby.

Was he effective against guys close to his own size (Carwin)? Pitiful - and you and I both know he got lucky with that submission win.

Lastly, I don't know why Brock is being compared to other past HW champions - as if making the comparison will elevate him to new status or change the facts. We are talking about Brock and the hype machine - and how he did or did not live up to it >>>and IMO, he did not. As soon as the road got tough, he packed up and left. I could have sworn it was, "When the going gets tough, the tough gets going." The saying must have changed a generation or two after mine.

your disregard of what brock did is mind fucking me

It's what I do.
prophecy033
5/25/12 6:23:44PM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Vanderlay
CroCop
Vitor

Chael P Sonnen
jakewalters
5/26/12 9:50:14AM
Stephen Thompson?

prophecy033
5/26/12 12:49:52PM
Might throw Roger Huerta and Keith Jardin in this convo. I'm not real sure about Jardine tho
Adrenaline
5/28/12 6:21:34AM

Posted by lohmann

David Terrell

Good call, David Terrell looked scary good at first. It's too bad that he never reached his full potential. If it weren't for Evan Tanner humbling him and a plague of injuries that followed, who knows how good he could have been.
Boo_Radley21
5/28/12 12:39:01PM
Damien Maia
cowcatcher
5/28/12 12:41:54PM

Posted by Adrenaline

Posted by lohmann

David Terrell

Good call, David Terrell looked scary good at first. It's too bad that he never reached his full potential. If it weren't for Evan Tanner humbling him and a plague of injuries that followed, who knows how good he could have been.

That's always one of, if not the first, name that comes to my mind when this subject comes up. Good call lohmann.
Pages: 1 [2]