UFC 91 Does Big PPV Numbers

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC 91 Does Big PPV Numbers
MMAcca
11/27/08 1:12:06AM
In the Wrestling Observer Newsletter this week, Dave Meltzer has a short report on early numbers for the UFC 91 show. He reports that it looks to have beaten UFC 61 (Ortiz v. Shamrock) and came up just below UFC 66 (Ortiz vs. Liddell) in some areas.

I've received two preliminary estimates that put it in the 800,000-850,000 range. If those numbers hold up, it will be the second biggest UFC buyrate ever. It did not do the 1.2 million that White predicted, but I never believed this show could break a million without an incredible promotional push. It didn't get that push, but still apparently did great business.

Internal estimates were in the 800-900 range, the 1.2 million was public bluster to get ESPN to cover it. The tactic worked, but I get the feeling that scam will only work once.

Before this show, Couture's highest buyrate was against Tim Sylvia for his 2007 return that did 540,000 buys.

LINK
grappler0000
11/27/08 1:15:36AM
Wow, 800-850 was my exact post-card prediction.
cmill21
11/27/08 1:50:55AM

Posted by grappler0000

Wow, 800-850 was my exact post-card prediction.

Same.
bojangalz
11/27/08 4:46:54AM
I think the best part of all of this is that there were a ton of new viewers who saw a great card. You can't ask for a more well-rounded card that this. VIewers got to see EVERY single fight on the card. Before the fights a lot of people critisized this card for being Brock v Randy and nothing else.

We wound up with a new champ (for better or wores). Had some highlight reel KO's with Stephens and Napau. We got both ends of the submission game with the textbook Maia choke and virtuoso McLovin' armbar. We got an absolute slugfest with Gurgel/Riley. And we saw Florian dispatch Stevenson in a fight that was every bit as entertaining as it was short.

There was a little something on this card for everyone. I'm not sure the UFC could have had a better outcome than this as far as fights go. And given the inflated number of viewers; my guess is that years from now this card may be in the discussion for most important UFC events in history with regards to growth of the company.

Brock and Randy brought the new viewers in...I think the rest of the card is what is going to keep some of those new viewers around for a while.

UFC for a great event.
MMAcca
11/27/08 12:49:48PM

Posted by bojangalz

I think the best part of all of this is that there were a ton of new viewers who saw a great card. You can't ask for a more well-rounded card that this. VIewers got to see EVERY single fight on the card. Before the fights a lot of people critisized this card for being Brock v Randy and nothing else.

We wound up with a new champ (for better or wores). Had some highlight reel KO's with Stephens and Napau. We got both ends of the submission game with the textbook Maia choke and virtuoso McLovin' armbar. We got an absolute slugfest with Gurgel/Riley. And we saw Florian dispatch Stevenson in a fight that was every bit as entertaining as it was short.

There was a little something on this card for everyone. I'm not sure the UFC could have had a better outcome than this as far as fights go. And given the inflated number of viewers; my guess is that years from now this card may be in the discussion for most important UFC events in history with regards to growth of the company.

Brock and Randy brought the new viewers in...I think the rest of the card is what is going to keep some of those new viewers around for a while.

UFC for a great event.