Big Nog / Frank Mir?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Big Nog / Frank Mir?
POLL: should Frank Mir be fight for the title?
yes 34% (12)
no 66% (23)
Violence108
5/26/08 4:46:20PM
Big Nog and Frank Mir are going two be the new tuf coachs , i get it but then are they going to fight for the title? if so WHY!!!! Frank Mir has not proven hes the #1 contenders just look at this last 4 fights
UFC 81- win over Brock Lennar by sub( brocks record before the fight was 1-0)
UFC 74- win over Antoni Hardonk by sub(a good stand up guy, not so good on the ground)
UFC 65- lose to Brand Vera by tko
UFC 61-win over Dan Christison by UD(boring fight)
and look at Big Nog last 4 fights
UFC 81- win over Big Tim by sub(great fight and he got hit alot and still won)
UFC 73- win over Heath Herring by UD(he came back from a big head kick to win)
Pride Shockwave 2006- win over Josh Barnett UD
Pride Final conflict absolute- lose to Josh Barnett SD
that pretty much sayes it all
Frank Mir should not be fighting for the title!
guys that should.
Fabricio Werdum(if he beats Vera)
Brandon Vera(if he beats Werdum)
Andrei Arlovski(if he stays in the UFC)
anyway thats just what i think of it
tylerlee123
5/26/08 4:48:19PM
The Old Frank Mir is back thats all Im going to say !
Violence108
5/26/08 4:55:27PM
the old frank mir would be crashed my Big Nog in stand up and on the ground
jae_1833
5/26/08 4:56:51PM
Good points but really the HW div is soo weak in the UFC right now they have to do something to prevent the title defense being put on hold forever. For all your HW MMA action see Affliction!!!!
Violence108
5/26/08 5:02:57PM
yeah i know i cant wait for that card
seanfu
5/26/08 5:09:37PM
Yeah it just doesn't matter. The division is so shot. Who cares if Mir gets a shot.
Ferbricio Werdum is the only guy you could really argue deserves a shot.

Andrei is out of the UFC, and Mir is a great fight to hype up. Why even argue your point? Not hating for the sake of hating it just doesn't really matter at this point.

Winner of Vera Werdum is the obvious second in line so they pretty much had to just throw someone in and Noguiera isn't popular enough with the US to be on TUF with Werdum or Vera.

From a promoting standpoint it's making the best of what their situation is.
aaa9erh8er
5/26/08 5:20:37PM
nickcuc547
5/26/08 6:50:36PM
i'd say no he didn't earn a shot but he is absolutely the most marketable guy in a poor heavyweight division that has no top contender who is a former champ and is pretty dangerous. so in that regard i don't mind the fact that he is getting a title shot.

with that said i think he has very little shot to win this fight.
gartface
5/26/08 7:42:49PM
He doesn't deserve this fight, and the old Frank Mir is not back. He was gassed after 2 minutes with Brock Lesnar. He WILL be subbed by Nogueira. He needs to take training seriously.
decken
5/26/08 7:50:05PM

Posted by gartface

He doesn't deserve this fight, and the old Frank Mir is not back. He was gassed after 2 minutes with Brock Lesnar. He WILL be subbed by Nogueira. He needs to take training seriously.

How can you say he gassed after 2 minutes? The fight didn't even last 2 minutes! Frank looked like he was in shape for that fight. And if anything happens TUF will make Mir more excited about training for his next fight.
gartface
5/26/08 7:50:44PM

Posted by decken

Posted by gartface

How can you say he gassed after 2 minutes? The fight didn't even last 2 minutes! Frank looked like he was in shape for that fight. And if anything happens TUF will make Mir more excited about training for his fight.

Did you not see the post fight interview, he was huffing and puffing. He needs to stop working his night club and train.
fonduktoe
5/26/08 9:39:26PM
i would have rather seen the winner of vera v werdum fight big nog
style wise i think this is a horrible match up for mir not to mention he hasn't done anything to really deserve a shot.
on a semi related note i'm getting sick of the ufc putting belts on hold as a vehicle for the tuf.
granted the heaveyweight division is shot right now but this habit of putting belts on hold for 3/4 of a year better not become par for the course
MMAcca
5/27/08 12:41:47AM

Posted by Violence108

guys that should.

So Mir is undesserving of a shot, but Vera is ?

That makes no sense
fonduktoe
5/27/08 4:45:25AM

Posted by MMAcca

Posted by Violence108

guys that should.

That makes no sense

vera annhilated mir so it kinda does
jocka
5/27/08 1:35:25PM

Posted by fonduktoe

Posted by MMAcca

Posted by Violence108

guys that should.

That makes no sense

I don t agree that Mir would get annhilated by Vera but the point being is that The HW division has no top dog plus Mir has a win over Lesnar which for the ufc is a very marketable win. Is there someone in the HW division that really deserve it?
cowcatcher
5/27/08 1:49:54PM
heres a question(or 3): what would be going on in the HW division hasd lesnar beaten mir? would brock be getting a title shot? would the next season of TUF have been something other than HWs?

the powers that be in the ufc see some marketability in mir, and being a former champ that broke another formerr champs arm doesnt hurt. i really wonder what would have happened if lesnar had won, my guess is 2 LHWs would have coached the HWs next season on TUF or vera might have been bumped up for a title shot. mir winning is probably the best thing that could have happened as far as the ultimate fighter show goes, but maybe not so much for the HW division as a whole.
CantAndleDaRiddum
5/27/08 2:16:17PM
it should be AA, but Dana doesnt care enough about the fans to keep AA
Violence108
5/27/08 4:56:18PM
Posted by fonduktoe

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted by MMAcca

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted by Violence108

guys that should.

That makes no sense

I don t agree that Mir would get annhilated by Vera but the point being is that The HW division has no top dog plus Mir has a win over Lesnar which for the ufc is a very marketable win. Is there someone in the HW division that really deserve it?

Mir did get annhilated my Vera UFC 65 watc it!
ncordless
5/27/08 5:59:49PM
Problem is, no one deserves a shot right now. I think the UFC is probably doing the right thing in using TUF to promote Nog with one of the few fighters who has any sort of name in the division. This will allow them to build up Nog enough to carry a card, and it will give time for the rest of the division to sort itself out so there can be a reasonable line for the title in the future.
jocka
5/28/08 12:32:34PM

Posted by Violence108

Posted by fonduktoe

Posted by MMAcca

Posted by Violence108

guys that should.

That makes no sense

Mir did get annhilated my Vera UFC 65 watc it!

Damn thats true brain fart .... i actually won some money off of that fight lol Still the point was that no one in the HW deserves a tittle show except of course AA but hes not in the picture at the moment
theguido
5/28/08 1:26:04PM
I totally dissagree with anyone who thinks Gonzaga deserves a title shot any time soon.
joshjr
5/30/08 2:22:16AM

Posted by Violence108

Big Nog and Frank Mir are going two be the new tuf coachs , i get it but then are they going to fight for the title? if so WHY!!!! Frank Mir has not proven hes the #1 contenders just look at this last 4 fights
UFC 81- win over Brock Lennar by sub( brocks record before the fight was 1-0)
UFC 74- win over Antoni Hardonk by sub(a good stand up guy, not so good on the ground)
UFC 65- lose to Brand Vera by tko
UFC 61-win over Dan Christison by UD(boring fight)
and look at Big Nog last 4 fights
UFC 81- win over Big Tim by sub(great fight and he got hit alot and still won)
UFC 73- win over Heath Herring by UD(he came back from a big head kick to win)
Pride Shockwave 2006- win over Josh Barnett UD
Pride Final conflict absolute- lose to Josh Barnett SD
that pretty much sayes it all
Frank Mir should not be fighting for the title!
guys that should.

The only thing I would add is that Kongo should be on the near a title shot list.