Big Nog to fight winner of Vera vs Sylvia for the UFC HW belt

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Big Nog to fight winner of Vera vs Sylvia for the UFC HW belt
DoTheMMAth
10/17/07 11:55:03AM
According to Yahoo sports

The winner of the Brandon Vera-Tim Sylvia fight on Saturday at UFC 77 in Cincinnati will meet Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira for the vacant heavyweight title sometime early next year. - 7th bullet point down
mrsmiley
10/17/07 11:56:36AM
that would prove very interesting,but what about Nog VS Konga?
tuvok500
10/17/07 12:08:41PM
according to the news, well , couture was making alot of money afterall, when you are including the ppv %, it is a completely diferent situation !!!!

as for big nog, well, i was thinking that he was going to fight kongo before, but we will see, maybe they have changed there plan !

nickcuc547
10/17/07 12:25:35PM
nice, i think nog could beat both, the only heavyweight in the ufc that i think can beat nog right now is gg, not that he would but i think he is the best matchup with his heavy hands and excellent bjj. maybe we will see gg vs. kongo for the number 1 contender fight and cc vs. loser of vera sylvia, that would be nice.
jgordon85
10/17/07 12:29:45PM
i wanted to see minotauro rip kongo's arm off. but anyway i guess we will have to wait i think kongo will face the loser of vera and timmy. i see minotuaro winning his next match no matter who wins the vera and timmy fight.
this is a perfect time for arlovski to come back!!
TNunley
10/17/07 12:37:12PM

Posted by tuvok500

according to the news, well , couture was making alot of money afterall, when you are including the ppv %, it is a completely diferent situation !!!!

as for big nog, well, i was thinking that he was going to fight kongo before, but we will see, maybe they have changed there plan !

If he had 4 fights at $250k per fight purse, that would only amount to $1 million. So for him to be receiving an additional $12-$14 million leads me to believe that you just can't believe some of the crap you read. For instance, the supposed fight purses... Recalling of how it listed Jardine got $14,000 for his win over Liddell ($500,000)... you would think this would be a prime opportunity for Jardine to speak up about the pay b/s. I haven't heard anything about Jardine complaining about pay.
babytater03
10/17/07 12:40:16PM
so wtf? is Kongo and Big Nog not going to fight now? i haven't heard anything about this!

Posted by jgordon85

...this is a perfect time for arlovski to come back!!

MMAnomale
10/17/07 12:42:21PM
I wanted to see Big Nog/Kongo. I wanted to see him take Kongo to the ground and teach him a little bjj. Then maybe a title shot. So with Couture gone, they aren't waiting very long to get the belt out there. I guess that's good. I'm still pissed though that we aren't going to see Fedor/Couture. And since Couture's still under contract, we won't see him go to Russia and fight him.
loonytnt
10/17/07 1:12:38PM
AA vs vera by great fight
Darnok
10/17/07 1:21:02PM

Posted by tuvok500

[QUOTE} Non-UFC sources say that the contract Couture negotiated and signed before his comeback fight against Tim Sylvia in March is for four fights and between $13 million and $15 million, which puts him behind only Chuck Liddell, at four fights and $17 million, in the UFC salary pecking order. Those numbers are believed to include percentages of pay-per-view money.

I have been saying this for a long time. Because Zuffa is privately owned they do not have to disclose how much the fighters make in bonuses.

This makes those fighters look like a bunch of winers now.
Rush
10/17/07 1:30:55PM

Posted by Darnok

I have been saying this for a long time. Because Zuffa is privately owned they do not have to disclose how much the fighters make in bonuses.

This makes those fighters look like a bunch of winers now.

Also, Randy said that he found out what a lot of other fighters were making through personal contact with them, not based on what was publicly acknowledged as a salary by Zuffa
TNunley
10/17/07 1:39:07PM

Posted by Rush
Also, Randy said that he found out what a lot of other fighters were making through personal contact with them, not based on what was publicly acknowledged as a salary by Zuffa

Very true, that is what he said. Then again, Dana has said that he IS the 2nd highest paid athlete in the sport. Who do we know to believe for certain?

I love Randy! He is my favorite fighter, and by far the greatest role model the sport had ever seen. But, fact of the matter is he signed a contract.... if he wasn't looking at where he would be after winning the title, and defending the title... why did he sign? Any fool could see the fight between him and Tim would be a HUGE deal with lots of money. If he felt he wasn't going to be compensated appropriately, then he shouldn't have signed.

Personally when I first read that Randy left because of money, and how much they offered Fedor, etc... I was pissed at Dana and Zuffa. Then after hearing that Randy was making $12-$15 million for four fights makes me think... What the hell could you do with $20 million that you couldn't do with $15 million? Fedor had bargaining power at the time, and if they offered him a couple million more for the fight against Randy, it may not be right, but if that's what they had to do to secure the fight then I can't see why it's such a big deal to Randy. If Fedor had signed for $20 million, and Randy was making $15 million, then Randy destroyed Fedor and became the undisputed #1 heavyweight in the world, then retired.... his legacy could probably have never been matched. He could have made up the extra $5 million dollars in promotions after the win.

By the way, the $15 million, $20 million, etc amounts of money are just hypothetical figures. I have no idea what the real offers were.
wapttn
10/17/07 2:25:04PM

thats what i've been saying from the beginning. Randy from the beginning up until his last fight was the man.. But i knew that he was making just behind what liddel was making, which is fair because liddel was the man when randy signed, and why should randy who could've been a bust get paid more than liddel who was destroying everyone? Randy the fighter died when he went to africa, he's been replaced by randy the movie star and its sucks ass
bullettdodger
10/17/07 2:51:03PM

Posted by wapttn

thats what i've been saying from the beginning. Randy from the beginning up until his last fight was the man.. But i knew that he was making just behind what liddel was making, which is fair because liddel was the man when randy signed, and why should randy who could've been a bust get paid more than liddel who was destroying everyone? Randy the fighter died when he went to africa, he's been replaced by randy the movie star and its sucks ass

So sad... but so true.... why hath thou forsaken us Randy?
wolfgarnaud
10/17/07 3:05:35PM
first of all... any of you, is putting his body on the line at 45 years old and being a competive athlete in MMA, the only thing all of you are doing is complain... and any of you really care about Couture, you just wanna see him fight no matter what, thinking all the time what kind of crazy fights the UFC can put on,

Fedor is gone, and everybody or most of you saying that Fedor needs the UFC, what is that? you people are the one that need to see Fedor in the UFC, Fedor believes that M-1 is gonna give what he needs that great for him... but is not good for any of you, any of you have seen any fight from M-1 , and they are already complaining...

TNunley
10/17/07 4:10:24PM

Posted by wolfgarnaud

first of all... any of you, is putting his body on the line at 45 years old and being a competive athlete in MMA, the only thing all of you are doing is complain... and any of you really care about Couture, you just wanna see him fight no matter what, thinking all the time what kind of crazy fights the UFC can put on,

Fedor is gone, and everybody or most of you saying that Fedor needs the UFC, what is that? you people are the one that need to see Fedor in the UFC, Fedor believes that M-1 is gonna give what he needs that great for him... but is not good for any of you, any of you have seen any fight from M-1 , and they are already complaining...

Why does it seem that when a member who has a picture of an ex-pride fighter as their avatar generally has nothing but crap to say about the UFC or any of its fighters?

Sure Randy is putting his body on the line at 44 years old... his age still didn't stop him from taking the belt and defending it did it? So why are you bringing this up again?

Complain? Certainly... I will admit to that. I am complaining that things ended the way they ended for Couture... I'm complaining that I won't get to watch Randy one last time for his final fight and have some closure on the matter... I'm complaining that your god Fedor is the sole reason this has all come about.

Where do you get off saying no one cares for Couture? Please get out of my head Sigmund Freud, I can't believe you are reading all of our minds!!!

Again with the mind reading... how do you know what Fedor believes M-1 is gonna give him? Are you Fedor?
Sam_Rothstein
10/17/07 4:33:12PM
on paper it looks like Big Nog will be wearing that belt soon
tuvok500
10/17/07 4:34:35PM

Posted by wolfgarnaud

first of all fedor worshiper, when you are training your body like a maniac , like couture and many others does, it become almost a drug and in fact you feel better when you train that any others situation of your life !!

and about the M-1 organization, it is not very hard to see that it is nowhere close to the top competition that we were seeing in pride or what we are seeing in ufc now .
as a dreamer yourself, you may believe that it will become bigger than pride was or ufc is, but it is easy to understand because , everywhere fedor goes, it make you believe that it must be the best organization EVER !!

of course, you know everything about fedor even the real reason why he refused the best deal of his career, accordind to his agent, so i will not argue with you, YOU ARE THE MAN !!!!

DCRage
10/18/07 2:23:43PM
Just found a related item...Nog says his next fight is February 3. Graciemag.com quotes him as saying if the fight's against Kongo, it's not for the title. If it's against Sylvia or Vera, it's for the title.

Article
Ayuka
9/2/08 6:11:56PM
Another Sylvia vs Nog? I'm so tired of predictable matches.
ncordless
9/2/08 6:21:15PM

Posted by Ayuka

Another Sylvia vs Nog? I'm so tired of predictable matches.

Check the date