Big Nog: Anderson Silva moving to 205 after Okami fight

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Big Nog: Anderson Silva moving to 205 after Okami fight
Next Page »
emfleek
4/12/11 8:34:19AM
Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira revealed in his column for Brazilian site Jornal Extra that he has information regarding the middleweight champion Anderson Silva.

“The mystery about the UFC Rio card that takes place on Aug 27th starts to be unfolded. I have information in which my friend and current biggest phenomenon Anderson Silva will make the main fight of the event versus Japan’s Yushin Okami,” he wrote.

“They already fought in 2006 but that bout didn’t have a conventional end because Anderson was disqualified by throwing an illegal hit.”

Nogueira also says the current climate sees Anderson moving up to the 205lb division due to the lack of adversaries at his current weight class.

LINK
Aether
4/12/11 9:13:17AM
This would be so amazing. I think Jones vs. Anderson is the best "superfight" possible in the sport at the moment. I'm way more interested in that matchup than Silva vs GSP.
Manak
4/12/11 9:34:40AM

Posted by Aether

This would be so amazing. I think Jones vs. Anderson is the best "superfight" possible in the sport at the moment. I'm way more interested in that matchup than Silva vs GSP.

I have been foaming at the mouth for Anderson/Jones. that fight would be epic. both guys pull-off crazy strikes and are physical specimens. but i do think Jones would be able to take him down pretty easily but the clinch would fun to see these guys in plus Silva is no joke on the ground
bjj1605
4/12/11 10:03:56AM
I love this. Anderson has way more interesting match-ups and tests at 205 than at 185. That said, if he beats Okami and vacates the belt, MW will always look lame because whoever the champ is hasn't beaten Anderson.
kingsmasher
4/12/11 11:01:48AM
Jones will work Anderson with wrestling and then elbows something that Chael Sonnen didn't do....Elbows from Jon Jones will beat Silvas face to a pulp...
Makaveli158
4/12/11 11:08:20AM
And here I was hoping for a Shields vs Silva fight. His striking isn't good, but his wrestling is as good as Sonnens, arguably better. And Shields wouldn't get submitted, may even pull off a submission of his own.
TeamDEY
4/12/11 11:14:41AM
Im down to watch Anderson embarrass Jones
prozacnation1978
4/12/11 11:53:17AM
May be best for the sport

Silva moving up to 205
Gsp move up to 185
Get some new champions in.

Have condit/kim vs penn/fitch for belt
185. After okami. A sonnen vs gsp or bisping for title
Aether
4/12/11 12:32:14PM
I don't know who I would pick in that fight to be honest. Yes, Jones has a clear advantage in the wrestling department, but Anderson's striking is from another solar system. If Jones tried any of those silly spinning strikes against Anderson I think he would be waking up wondering when the fight was starting. He would need to go for a takedown as fast as possible IMO, not like what he did against Shogun.

As for Shields having better wrestling than Sonnen... I strongly disagree. Sonnen is an olympic level wrestler who has adapted his wrestling to MMA better than just about any other wrestler coming into the sport IMO. He may not do a whole lot once he's got you down, but man he makes his takedowns look completely effortless. The guy makes other wrestlers look like they have no wrestling ability with how easily he plows through them.

People will probably reference the Henderson fight, but I think Hendo didn't look like he was in shape for that fight at all. Even if that wasn't the case, Shields struggles for most of his takedowns, he usually goes for single legs or presses people against the cage and slowly works to drag them down, Sonnen charges straight through people and puts them on their back instantly.
kingsmasher
4/12/11 12:48:21PM

Posted by Aether

I don't know who I would pick in that fight to be honest. Yes, Jones has a clear advantage in the wrestling department, but Anderson's striking is from another solar system. If Jones tried any of those silly spinning strikes against Anderson I think he would be waking up wondering when the fight was starting. He would need to go for a takedown as fast as possible IMO, not like what he did against Shogun.

As for Shields having better wrestling than Sonnen... I strongly disagree. Sonnen is an olympic level wrestler who has adapted his wrestling to MMA better than just about any other wrestler coming into the sport IMO. He may not do a whole lot once he's got you down, but man he makes his takedowns look completely effortless. The guy makes other wrestlers look like they have no wrestling ability with how easily he plows through them.

People will probably reference the Henderson fight, but I think Hendo didn't look like he was in shape for that fight at all. Even if that wasn't the case, Shields struggles for most of his takedowns, he usually goes for single legs or presses people against the cage and slowly works to drag them down, Sonnen charges straight through people and puts them on their back instantly.

Id take Jones with his superior reach anyday of the week...Silva IMO is a good striker but he has also had a reach advantage on nearly every opponent...

I agree too that sonnens wrestling is way better than Shields, you have to catch your guy in the middle of the cage and drive through going for takedowns in a clinch is a waste of energy...
Twenty20Dollars
4/12/11 12:55:16PM
Hey, let's ask Chael Sonnen how he feels about this, because that's what we need some more annoying Chael Sonnen comments. NOT!

Ask I was posting in another thread, isnt much left for Silva in MW besides like Bisping,Belcher,Munoz and they might not be close to a title shot along with the other guys. Then I guess he has rematches. Idk
Manak
4/12/11 1:20:50PM

Posted by kingsmasher

Posted by Aether

Id take Jones with his superior reach anyday of the week...Silva IMO is a good striker but he has also had a reach advantage on nearly every opponent...

I agree too that sonnens wrestling is way better than Shields, you have to catch your guy in the middle of the cage and drive through going for takedowns in a clinch is a waste of energy...

yes jones has a bigger wing span but i think that can sometimes be overestimated for bigger guys. prime example being rich franklin, clearly anderson used his reach on him but it was only an in n half longer ( rich 76 anderson 77.6). wing spans gets a plus from having a big chest and upper back with your shoulders. so anderson maybe closer to jones on arm length which to me should be the one that matters more. I dont know their shoulder lengths so i could be wrong but i am going off looks. plus in think anderson may have a slight speed advantage. yea he will be able to takedown anderson, but anderson on the ground has ended everyone. i think it could make for fight of the yr but it could also end in 30 seconds.
Bubbles
4/12/11 1:47:29PM
Silva is ducking both GSP and Sonnen.

he will not get any superfights (ie Jones, Shogun) that we want. hell i dont think he'll get Evans either due to his wrestling. Rampage might be his biggest opponent at 205. he'll fight 2-3 guys and then retire
mrsmiley
4/12/11 2:01:58PM

Lets not forget Anderson cannot look past Okami. yes,yes, most likely he will deystroy him but Silva has some strange mojo against Japanese fighters and anyone who holds any sense of superstition for things like that will have that swimming in the back of their mind i'm sure.

Jones vs Silva would be a super,SUPER, fight.
Jones gets the nod in wrestling but even though he's catapolted to fame he's still rarely early in the development of his fight game and he will either mature into one of the greatest of all time or burn out as fast as a shooting star in the MMA landscape.
Regardless of who wins the only thing bigger than this potential fight would be the rematch.
Pskinner_mma314
4/12/11 2:05:04PM

Posted by Aether

expected this.....first response already talkin bout jones vs silva

this is what i think of that particular fight -->

that being said, do i think it could happen? yes. would i watch it? yes. is it more interesting to me than GSP vs silva? yes.

BUT!!!!!!!! c'mon guys, i'm always down to give credit where its due, jones is a beast of a fighter with crazy skills, but he JUST got the belt.....he has no defenses of that title and jones already has a line at the door to face him.

why spoil a good thing and have the "biggest" fight first when we could have lead-up fights like shogun/silva, rampage/silva, rashad/silva OR jones/rampage, jones/machida........

before we start faithfully swinging from the nuts of the jones/silva fight, lets get some more fights out of it instead of being like a hurricane.....exciting at first, but ending in disappointment cause it didnt last very long
Budgellism
4/12/11 2:11:22PM

Posted by Bubbles

Silva is ducking both GSP and Sonnen.

he will not get any superfights (ie Jones, Shogun) that we want. hell i dont think he'll get Evans either due to his wrestling. Rampage might be his biggest opponent at 205. he'll fight 2-3 guys and then retire

Do you look like this in real life?
Manak
4/12/11 2:12:58PM

Posted by Pskinner_mma314

Posted by Aether

that being said, do i think it could happen? yes. would i watch it? yes. is it more interesting to me than GSP vs silva? yes.

BUT!!!!!!!! c'mon guys, i'm always down to give credit where its due, jones is a beast of a fighter with crazy skills, but he JUST got the belt.....he has no defenses of that title and jones already has a line at the door to face him.

why spoil a good thing and have the "biggest" fight first when we could have lead-up fights like shogun/silva, rampage/silva, rashad/silva OR jones/rampage, jones/machida........

before we start faithfully swinging from the nuts of the jones/silva fight, lets get some more fights out of it instead of being like a hurricane.....exciting at first, but ending in disappointment cause it didnt last very long

I see your point but anderson is the P4P king right now, plus he would be vaccinating his title and has already had success at 205 so it would be kind of hard to not fight for the belt when u have that pedigree. I say give him one fight either shougun/rampage/ or evans while jones does a title defense then barring they win, they fight each other, yes anything can happen cause of the level these guys r fighting so cant wait to see how this pans out
emfleek
4/12/11 2:29:20PM

Posted by Manak

plus he would be vaccinating his title

I knew he wasn't acting right in the Maia fight. Did he get ahold of some of that Abu Dhabi Clap?

GSPCanada
4/12/11 2:32:22PM
The guy already has a victory against forrest, so u will not see him vacate his belt for a drop in competition. i personally believe forrest is just outside the top 5. I think they have to give anderson a title fight, if not he will be fighting #1 contender and then a title fight (whoever that may be at the time) most likely jones.
Andersons take down defense is in question but more than anything I question is his ability to get back up ive never seen anderson get up after being taken down, i'm not sure, id love to see it though, ill pick anderson, i believe he is the best striker in mma and while jones' skilled if he does one thing unorthodox he will eat the floot
kingsmasher
4/12/11 2:57:46PM
All that talk about Silva facing other guys like rampage or Shad is laughable...If he faces anyone it should be Rua...Rampage is a sitting duck for any fighter with speed...I think Bader would whip Rampage...But I think Bader would also beat Rua..Bader needs back in the mix....His lost to Jones wasnt really that bad...He needs a little submission defense...

Silva wants 205 cause he wants Jones and you can bet on that...He wants to test himself...and get revenge on Rua for Machida...but I see him maybe losing that fight thats a tough one...I think they are dead even...
kingsmasher
4/12/11 3:05:33PM

Posted by Pskinner_mma314

Posted by Aether

I totally see your point about the other fights but I think the UFC wouldnt want to risk a loss to either fighter and then your super fight is obsolete....I mean really who do you tune up for Silva? Rua? If Rua beats him like I think he will we are all sitting here once again going who will beat Jones...Its not gonna be Phil Davis...
Wolfenstein
4/12/11 3:12:36PM
I think there are some guys at 205 that could really give Anderson trouble. Obviously Jones, but probably Rashad as well because of his explosive takedowns and submission defense.

It would be interesting for sure to see Anderson in some more competitive matchups, as he's pretty much cleared the MW division, and cleared it again when a few newcomers came along.

It also just doesn't appear like GSP is entirely interested in making the move to MW anytime soon, so there's little sense in waiting around for him. I hope he makes the move, but I'm not sure I'm going to buy into it until I've heard it directly from Anderson.
gartface
4/12/11 3:45:37PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Manak

plus he would be vaccinating his title

I knew he wasn't acting right in the Maia fight. Did he get ahold of some of that Abu Dhabi Clap?

Hendo67
4/12/11 3:51:11PM
Hopefully he jumps right into the mix, and none of these B level LHW's...
icantthinkofanything
4/12/11 3:53:27PM
if anyone can close the distance and traid in the pocket with Jones its the Spider. Silvas straight punches and fast kicks are very accurate. I think Silva's tdd will be better than it was in the past, but if he gets on the bottom, I dont see him submitting or sweeping Jon Jones. Jones base is to wide and long, and its nearly imposssible to lift his leg up, acccording to Shoguns attempts at sweeps, and triangles, jj he can posture out easily.

in a nut shell if JJ gets the takedown, he will win eventually, but I give Anderson a huge striking advantage and I think he has a great shot at winning that belt within the first few rounds, but if its not that easy, I see Jon Jones using his elbows and wearing Silva out after the first 2-3 rounds, for a tko
Silva just needs to be aggressive and back Jones up, control the pace and than ko Jones. If Silva is moving backwards alot, the takedown will come a lot easier i think.
I would pick Silva to win, but it would definantly be the super fight of the century...
FastKnockout
4/12/11 4:15:42PM
Anderson Silva vs. Jon Jones (Of course)

Anderson Silva vs. Tito Ortiz (Just for the hell of it)

Anderson Silva vs. Rampage

Make these three fights happen!
emfleek
4/12/11 4:18:37PM

Posted by FastKnockout

Anderson Silva vs. Tito Ortiz (Just for the hell of it)

...or not.
Sir_Karl
4/12/11 4:48:47PM
Anderson Silva vs. Jon Jones....the REAL super fight. Only one will remain a superhero after though. Does the UFC want to lose one of their superheroes? If Anderson does make a permanent shift to 205 we are going to find out.
BeeR
4/12/11 5:10:44PM
so WHEN Okami wins....., will it only be because Silva wanted to move up anyways?
JimiMak
4/12/11 6:13:21PM
Good. This is what has needed to happen for a long time now. There's no interesting fights at MW, there's tons at LHW .

(and I don't know what is going thru the mind of anyone who thinks to find a credible opponent we should look to a lower weight class to a fighter who has never even had a single match at 185- he wouldn't deserve a title shot right after moving up anyway, nothing about that fight ever made sense and that's why we didn't get it, we did get some teasing because there were actually some members of the public who made it a topic of conversation as if it would be a good fight)
Pages: [1] 2