The Big Show vs Jose Aldo

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » The Big Show vs Jose Aldo
« Previous Page
Pookie
10/29/10 11:05:03PM

Posted by warglory

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by warglory

I doubt Aldo could kick with enough force to deliver any major damage.

Are you serious? Have you already forgotten what he did to Urijah Faber?

And how big is Faber?

And how much shin conditioning has The Big Show done? I honestly think the fight is already won if he lands one hard leg kick.
warglory
10/29/10 11:09:12PM

Posted by Pookie

Posted by warglory

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by warglory

I doubt Aldo could kick with enough force to deliver any major damage.

Are you serious? Have you already forgotten what he did to Urijah Faber?

And how big is Faber?

And how much shin conditioning has The Big Show done? I honestly think the fight is already won if he lands one hard leg kick.

Have you ever punched a huge dude in the stomach? I'm sure it hurts, but it doesn't disable them. Now if I punched Aldo in the stomach at my hardest with him not defending, I'd probably do some damage. Physical size greatly diminishes the impact strikes have, no matter where on the body you hit save for the genitals and pressure points. I have never seen a man the size of Aldo ever fight, and win, against a man the size of the Big Show with leg kicks, or any other attack. In fact, I don't think I have ever seen a size disparity quite like that in combat at all. If you can prove me wrong with a video, I will gladly eat my words.
warglory
10/29/10 11:15:58PM
To further put things in perspective: remember the size difference between Hong Man Choi and Fedor?

While Choi is two inches taller, The Big Show outweighs him by at least 100 lbs, and the Big Show isn't what I'd call "fat" for a man his size either.

warglory
10/29/10 11:21:09PM

Big show and Mayweather doing their skit. The size different is crazy though.
Pookie
10/30/10 2:42:14PM
If youve never trained Muay Thai and/or conditioned your shins for impact, you will not be able to take one hard leg kick from a guy who has trained muay thai for a couple of years, nonetheless one who has practically mastered the technique.

Leg kicks on a big guy do more damage than a small guy because the weight of the opponent compounds the damage as that hurt leg then has to continue to support weight.
Jackelope
10/30/10 3:06:21PM
If Big Show got a hold of Aldo he'd be done. Big Show could literally pick him up over his head and slam him with extreme force into the ground. I mean literally a kill shot type blow if they were on concrete or some other really hard surface. He could literally pick him up and choke slam him angrily which would explode the back of Aldo's skull on the concrete. It would be like you fighting a 3rd grader.

I don't doubt that Aldo could kick Big Show very hard and stay elusive enough to do some damage... but literally the instant Big Show gets a hold of Aldo the fight is over. He could probably squeeze his neck with enough force to collapse his throat as someone apparently already mentioned. Aldo's only chances are leg kicks and rear naked chokes. But with one of those he has to get within grabbing distance. Big Show is literally 3x his size lol
ncordless
10/30/10 3:52:38PM

Posted by warglory

I have never seen a man the size of Aldo ever fight, and win, against a man the size of the Big Show with leg kicks, or any other attack. In fact, I don't think I have ever seen a size disparity quite like that in combat at all. If you can prove me wrong with a video, I will gladly eat my words.

The closest off the top of my head is when Genki Sudo beat Butterbean.

Now matter how big someone is, they are still made out of the same stuff. Big Show's leg with take the same amount of damage as a smaller leg.

If you take a baseball bat to the leg of a 100lb. man or a 500lb. man, it has the same effect.
TimW001
10/30/10 4:15:00PM

Posted by warglory

Size is not advantageous? Tell that to Shane Carwin or Brock Lesnar.

What about Tim Sylvia? He's 265. Or Zulu. Butterbean. Hong man Choi.

How about Randy Couture? Or Cain?
Jackelope
10/30/10 8:23:29PM

Posted by TimW001

Posted by warglory

What about Tim Sylvia?

In fairness Tim did dominate the HW division before the days of the super-athlete in MMA. Everyone so quickly forgets that there was a time when Tim Sylvia was virtually unstoppable.

As far as Bob Sapp and Zuluzhino goes.. they're not half the athlete Big Show is. Or that Tim Sylvia was for that matter.

ncordless
10/31/10 2:25:44AM

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by TimW001

Posted by warglory

What about Tim Sylvia?

In fairness Tim did dominate the HW division before the days of the super-athlete in MMA. Everyone so quickly forgets that there was a time when Tim Sylvia was virtually unstoppable.

As far as Bob Sapp and Zuluzhino goes.. they're not half the athlete Big Show is. Or that Tim Sylvia was for that matter.

Is Big Show really that athletic? If a man his size was even marginally athletic, he'd be plugging the run or protecting the blind side, not choke slamming willing participants.

What athletic accomplishments has Big Show ever shown? Sapp failed out of the NFL and beat Ernesto Hoost in K-1, what is Big Show's claim to fame?
AchillesHeel
10/31/10 10:38:16AM

Posted by warglory

And how big is Faber?

Big enough that his power-to-mass ratio gives him tremendous mobility and agility. How good is The Big Show at checking leg kicks? The cartilage in his knees is no stronger than any other man's.

Posted by warglory

Size is not advantageous?

I agree that size is an inherent advantage. It's why we separate pro fighters by weight class.

EDIT: Size is an advantage only up to a point. It's actually possible to be too big.

If Big Shoe got his hands on Aldo, why does he need wrestling or BJJ?

...but now you're just being dense again. The whole point of UFC 1 was that Royce Gracie could make any man cry like a girl, and BJJ has been one of the pillars of MMA ever since. You yourself mentioned that Fedor-Choi fight.

Posted by warglory

Have you ever punched a huge dude in the stomach? I'm sure it hurts, but it doesn't disable them. Now if I punched Aldo in the stomach at my hardest with him not defending[...]

Why wouldn't he be defending? Now you're just inventing bizarre [stuff] to justify your claim.

Posted by Jackelope

It would be like you fighting a 3rd grader.

Find me a 3rd-grader with the strength of a grown man and years of training and experience in kicking the [crap] out of other professional fighters, and I'll refuse to fight him.

Posted by Jackelope

I don't doubt that Aldo could kick Big Show very hard and stay elusive enough to do some damage... but literally the instant Big Show gets a hold of Aldo the fight is over. He could probably squeeze his neck with enough force to collapse his throat as someone apparently already mentioned. Aldo's only chances are leg kicks and rear naked chokes.

So now Aldo has to play by the rules, but The Big Show is allowed to grab people by the throat? Nice. I'm liking Aldo more and more in this match.

AchillesHeel
10/31/10 11:07:58AM

Posted by ncordless

Is Big Show really that athletic?

With the caveat that I've never actually seen The Big Show perform, I will say that professional wrestlers are athletes. Broadway dancers and Olympic figure skaters are elite athletes, too. They're not professional fighters, though, they're performers.
warglory
10/31/10 11:49:54AM

Posted by AchillesHeel

Big enough that his power-to-mass ratio gives him tremendous mobility and agility. How good is The Big Show at checking leg kicks? The cartilage in his knees is no stronger than any other man's.

I guess we are going to have to agree to disagree on this one, because I really don't see how Aldo could get in enough leg kicks for them to be effective at bringing Big Show down without suffering any damage.

...but now you're just being dense again. The whole point of UFC 1 was that Royce Gracie could make any man cry like a girl, and BJJ has been one of the pillars of MMA ever since. You yourself mentioned that Fedor-Choi fight.

My point is technique is out the window if Big Show gets a hold of you. Submitting him on the ground? Perhaps, but I think Big Show would be able to hyper extend any of Aldo's limbs just be sheer force with one arm before Aldo pulled any fancy maneuvers.

Why wouldn't he be defending? Now you're just inventing bizarre [stuff] to justify your claim.

Neither man would be defending. I am just trying to emphasize how size can change the course of a fight. Aldo is much smaller, and therefore, can absorb far less abuse from a bigger man than vice versa.

Find me a 3rd-grader with the strength of a grown man and years of training and experience in kicking the [crap] out of other professional fighters, and I'll refuse to fight him.

In comparison to the Big Show though, Aldo might as well have the strength of a third grader, because that's more or less what the size difference amounts to.

So now Aldo has to play by the rules, but The Big Show is allowed to grab people by the throat? Nice. I'm liking Aldo more and more in this match.

That's not the point, the point is Big Show is capable of doing such things, not that he actually would. Meaning one punch would not only put Aldo out, it could potentially hurt him.

warglory
10/31/10 11:52:18AM

Posted by ncordless

Posted by warglory

I have never seen a man the size of Aldo ever fight, and win, against a man the size of the Big Show with leg kicks, or any other attack. In fact, I don't think I have ever seen a size disparity quite like that in combat at all. If you can prove me wrong with a video, I will gladly eat my words.

The closest off the top of my head is when Genki Sudo beat Butterbean.

Now matter how big someone is, they are still made out of the same stuff. Big Show's leg with take the same amount of damage as a smaller leg.

If you take a baseball bat to the leg of a 100lb. man or a 500lb. man, it has the same effect.

I disagree. There is far more fat and muscle AND denser bones in a 500 lb man than in 100 lb man. Will they feel the pain the same, and will the outside of the leg take the same abuse? Absolutely, but in terms of internal damage, the 500 man will suffer far less.
Jackelope
10/31/10 2:25:06PM

Posted by AchillesHeel

Who said anything about rules? I didn't know we were talking about MMA rules.

Look... I don't know how much experience you guys have fighting much bigger opponents, but trust me- size does make a difference. You're absolutely kidding yourself if you believe otherwise. Royce Gracie was 170 something pounds fighting at most 250 lb guys. I'm not a big guy, and I'm not Jose Aldo by any means, but I know my way around a fight pretty well. Both from a boxing standpoint and jiu jitsu standpoint. Wrestling, too. There are inherent problems I face whenever I get matched up against a 250 lb. opponent regardless of his skill level. I'm a pretty strong 170 lbs, too. With some very solid years upon years of training under my belt. I can't imagine what it would be like to have to face a 480 lb. guy who can move like the Big Show has shown he's capable of.

Jose Aldo is 145 pounds fighting a 480 pound monster of a man. That is literally 3.31x Aldo's size. Compare that to Gracie fighting guys 1.47X bigger than him and oh by the way, getting his ass absolutely handed to him at the beginning of some of those fights.

I'm telling you right now that if you think in a real fight Big Show wouldn't grab a hold of Aldo, lift him 7 and a half feet into the air by the neck, and slam him down on the concrete literally either killing him or sending him to the hospital for a long time then you have absolutely no clue what fighting is or a real fight is like. You can't over hook and control a guy who is 3.3 times your size. There is no sprawling and using your weight to hold down a man who outweighs you by 340 pounds and can more than likely squat 600 like it's nothing. Aldo's only chance is to keep his distance and chop away at Big Show. Even when he does finally drop him he's still got to get in close to finish him. But the INSTANT, and I mean INSTANT Big Show gets a hold of him Aldo is going to die or become paralyzed. Think of it this way- even on a knee after getting his leg chopped out from under him Big Show is more than likely the same height as Aldo.

I mean I can't believe this is even an argument. There is no comparison between Royce Gracie fighting guys at UFC 1 and this.

Oh, and to address the notion that somehow a 480 lb. man is built the same as a 145 lb. man and therefore absorbs damage the same- that's laughable. Put a 155lb "KO artist" like Gomi into the Octagon against someone like Brock Lesnar and bet me every single penny in my bank account that Gomi is going to KTFO him and I'll take that bet in a heart beat. By virtue of size alone their joints and bones are much, much, much thicker and more dense than someone 1/4 their size. I mean learn something about anatomy before you make an argument like that... LOL. Specifically, without even entering into the 480lb man vs. 145 lb man argument I think it's very obvious that Aldo is an ectomorph whereas Big Show is an endomorph. Just by that fact alone you know that Big Show's bones and joints are much stronger than Aldo's. Now add in the fact that he's 3.31x his size and it only makes sense, even if you know nothing about anatomy, that his bones would be much, much thicker, and therefore the musculoskeletal system that supports them would be quite a bit more robust.
AchillesHeel
10/31/10 2:53:31PM

Posted by Jackelope

Who said anything about rules? I didn't know we were talking about MMA rules.

I assumed we were talking about an MMA match. If we're talking about a street fight, no man is big enough that he can shrug off a baseball bat, or a knife, or a finger in the eye, or a punch in the throat, or a kick in the balls. Seriously, I don't care how big you are, if you attack me on the street, you'd better catch me off-guard and unarmed (which wouldn't really be too hard, but the point is that it's got little to do with size).

Posted by Jackelope

I can't imagine what it would be like to have to face a 480 lb. guy who can move like the Big Show has shown he's capable of.

But you can imagine what it's like to face a guy like Jose Aldo? I doubt most people can.

Posted by Jackelope

Put a 155lb "KO artist" like Gomi into the Octagon against someone like Brock Lesnar and bet me every single penny in my bank account that Gomi is going to KTFO him and I'll take that bet in a heart beat.

If you're talking MMA, Brock Lesnar is an MMA fighter and, as far as I know, The Big Show isn't. If you're talking about a street fight, size is actually less valuable than it is in sport fighting.

Posted by warglory

I guess we are going to have to agree to disagree on this one, because I really don't see how Aldo could get in enough leg kicks for them to be effective at bringing Big Show down without suffering any damage.

So Urijah Faber just wasn't trying to defend against Aldo's leg kicks, is that it?
Jackelope
10/31/10 5:38:40PM

Posted by AchillesHeel

I assumed we were talking about an MMA match. If we're talking about a street fight, no man is big enough that he can shrug off a baseball bat, or a knife, or a finger in the eye, or a punch in the throat, or a kick in the balls. Seriously, I don't care how big you are, if you attack me on the street, you'd better catch me off-guard and unarmed (which wouldn't really be too hard, but the point is that it's got little to do with size).

If you're talking MMA, Brock Lesnar is an MMA fighter and, as far as I know, The Big Show isn't. If you're talking about a street fight, size is actually less valuable than it is in sport fighting.

The punch in the throat is the most overrated "technique" there ever was. I've seen plenty of people take a punch in the throat without it phasing them. That's something little schools that call themselves "dojos" teach. It's not real fighting. Watch UFC fights closely. Guys get punched in the throat all the time. I've been punched in the throat. It's actually quite easy to shrug off. Especially from someone nearly 1/4 your size. Seriously overrated technique. As well as getting hit in the nuts. In a real, legitimate, life on the line fight you can take a shot to the pills and still operate.

Also- you're throwing bats and knives into the equation. I never said anything about weapons. Besides, if you want to play "fantasy" scenarios like that you can say that either one has anything. If you want to play that game I'll just say that whoever picks up the random AK-47 with a full mag wins. Or whoever set the claymore in the spot where the fight was going to happen wins. Come on, let's talk about this fake match up in as "real" a situation as possible here.

Fair enough that Brock is an MMA fighter, but you know what I'm getting at. Also, I'll take the 200 lbs. in size Brock gives up to Big Show to make up for the difference.
warglory
10/31/10 7:35:53PM

Posted by AchillesHeel

So Urijah Faber just wasn't trying to defend against Aldo's leg kicks, is that it?

How does Uriah Faber factor into the damage Aldo would incur if he took up a kickboxing match with the Big Show? Of course Faber was defending, but he isn't the Big Show. I don't understand the comparison between Big Show and Faber at all.
jiujitsufreak74
11/1/10 9:27:30PM
i can't see Aldo winning. if Aldo even gets close enough to land anything he is close enough to get grabbed and beaten. it would be one thing if the big show wasn't athletic, but the man is very agile, strong for even his size and is used to throwing 300 pound roided out monsters around like its nothing. once the big show grabs Aldo it's over, and his grabbing distance is greater than or equal to Aldo's striking distance. for thos eof you arguing for Aldo i don't think you truly understand the magnitude of the size difference. at some point a guy is just too big, and this is a great example of that point.
gartface
11/2/10 9:42:59AM
I'd much rather see Big Show vs. Zuluzinho.
Cdellorso
11/5/10 12:46:44PM
i cant believe we got 4 pages of comments on a joke... cracks me up- the guy who started this must be tickled too.....

woodstock has been trainning for a year or 2 now in birdie mma and i wonder if he could kick snoopys aSK
warglory
11/6/10 4:08:15PM

Posted by Cdellorso

i cant believe we got 4 pages of comments on a joke... cracks me up- the guy who started this must be tickled too.....

woodstock has been trainning for a year or 2 now in birdie mma and i wonder if he could kick snoopys aSK

Joke or not, it's an interesting premise for a debate, which has been sorely lacking around the playground lately.
Geoffo
10/24/11 9:34:09PM
Jose Aldo by piledriver
Aether
10/25/11 4:37:17AM
ehhhhhhhhh, I think there's a limit to the notion that skill trumps size. When you're talking like 450 pounds, the smaller guy pretty much has to win by submission or possibly run around in circles for 10 minutes until the big guy is too tired to do anything.

I really doubt that Aldo could throw a kick without coming well into arm's reach of a guy that size. Big Show's arms are most likely longer than Aldo's legs.

If Aldo actually attacked right from the start, I think he would probably get crushed, but if he ran around in circles for a few minutes, he would probably have a good chance once Big Show got tired.

The amount of force you can generate and withstand are pretty proportional to your size, I doubt that Aldo's strikes would do as much damage to someone of that size as people are saying. Yeah, he kicked Faber's legs to shit, but Faber's legs also have considerably less muscle shielding them from damage.
Aether
10/25/11 4:48:31AM
I find it really interesting that people think that a leg kick from Aldo would do the same amount of damage or more to someone the size of Big Show as it would to someone the size of Faber.

There is more flesh and muscle to pad the blow when you are bigger, so they definitely do not do the same amount of damage. Does anyone remember Fedor commenting that he didn't get rid of his layer of fat, because it worked as a cushion to reduce the force of strikes that landed? Same concept, multiplied by about 20 here.

Same as the comment that a baseball bat would do the same amount of damage to someone who is 500 pounds as to someone who is 100 pounds. This is ludicrous. If you're 100 pounds the bat is pretty much guaranteed to connect with your bone and break it, if you're 500 pounds you have a giant cushion wrapped around that bone structure to pad the blow. They absolutely do not do the same damage regardless of size.

It's like saying if you crash a car into a shed or crash a car into a sky scraper the buildings will receive the same amount of damage, of course not. The shed would be demolished and the skyscraper would have a small dent in it. Obviously being bigger allows you to withstand a larger amount of force.
Boo_Radley21
10/27/11 11:27:06AM
Big Show would own Aldo this shouldn't even be a debate. All he's gotta do is grab him
Pages: 1 [2]