Big John McCarthy Interview: Discusses Fedor, The Former PRIDE Fighters, And His Favorite Fight

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Big John McCarthy Interview: Discusses Fedor, The Former PRIDE Fighters, And His Favorite Fight
grappler0000
11/7/07 7:21:07AM
Big John McCarthy has been with the UFC since it's inception back in 1993. He is by far the organizations most popular referee and usually officiates it's biggest fights. Ben Ziedler of *********** recently caught up with Big John to get his take on a variety of topics:

Link
Darnok
11/7/07 9:36:48AM
I always like to hear what Big John has to say about other fighters. He is the closest one to the fight.
ohiostate1016
11/7/07 9:49:26AM
Big John is not only the premier referee in the game, but he's one of the best minds in MMA today. He has been there since the beginning, and he's the only guy that can claim that. Everybody else (except for Ken Shamrock, of course) from the early days is gone. So Big John is our only link to the past.

I loved it in the early days when he officiated every match. Guys were able to get used to him, and know that he wasn't going to stand you unless the guy was just laying on you. I mean, look at that Shamrock/Gracie match from UFC 5.