big john

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » big john
cmb19932
3/6/09 5:37:59PM
anyone else catch the mma themed new found glory music video i think he is in it but i only saw it for like 6 seconds so any comfirmation would be cool
jakeiceman
3/6/09 10:52:12PM
I'm sure you saw him in there. From what I know, New Found Glory are pretty big MMA fans. Thier myspace page is pretty funny and it is MMA themed, though It is pretty corny. I tried to find the video for you but could not, I'm not a huge NFG fan so I didnt really know what to look for.

Here is a video they have on thier myspace, it has Bas Rutten and everything

New Found Glory
xtra_chewy
3/7/09 12:30:56AM
Maybe I missed something a while ago (dont wanna sound stupid for asking) but why is Big John not a ref for the UFC? Isnt he a ref again?
jakeiceman
3/7/09 12:51:17AM

Posted by xtra_chewy

Maybe I missed something a while ago (dont wanna sound stupid for asking) but why is Big John not a ref for the UFC? Isnt he a ref again?

There was some speculation that he disagreed with some of the things that Dana White was doing but the official reason was to do fight analysis and color commentating for the Fight Network.

He is still doing some reffing for other promotions, I'm pretty sure he has done some Affliction bouts but for some reason I am drawing a blank.

There are also rumors that he might return to the UFC.

Hope that helps
bojangalz
3/7/09 3:15:47PM
He doesn't work for any organization/promotion. He's an athletic official for the state of california. That is the only state where he has recertified as a ref. The UFC hasn't run a show in Cali since he recertified. The athletic commission determines which refs will work the card. Obviously the UFC has some pull when it comes to those decisions, but the bottom line comes from the athletic commission.

Big John has said that he'll ref any event the state asks him to, regardless of promotion; cause that's his job. But as of now he hasn't gotten recertified in any state other than Cali (to my knowledge at least). And he said in a recent interview that he dones't have any plans to get relicensed in Nevada.

He is pretty tied up with his reffing/training academy BJMUTA. I believe that's why he's focusing soley on california at this point.

If/when the UFC runs the next show in California we'll probably have an answer to this question. Big John has already said he'd accept a spot on the roster for a UFC card if he's requested by the state. So if they run a show there soon and he's not present it's probably cause the UFC pulled strings to keep him out.
jakeiceman
3/8/09 1:59:07PM

Posted by bojangalz

He doesn't work for any organization/promotion. He's an athletic official for the state of california. That is the only state where he has recertified as a ref. The UFC hasn't run a show in Cali since he recertified. The athletic commission determines which refs will work the card. Obviously the UFC has some pull when it comes to those decisions, but the bottom line comes from the athletic commission.

Big John has said that he'll ref any event the state asks him to, regardless of promotion; cause that's his job. But as of now he hasn't gotten recertified in any state other than Cali (to my knowledge at least). And he said in a recent interview that he dones't have any plans to get relicensed in Nevada.

He is pretty tied up with his reffing/training academy BJMUTA. I believe that's why he's focusing soley on california at this point.

If/when the UFC runs the next show in California we'll probably have an answer to this question. Big John has already said he'd accept a spot on the roster for a UFC card if he's requested by the state. So if they run a show there soon and he's not present it's probably cause the UFC pulled strings to keep him out.

Well done.........but my answer is somewhat right too
xtra_chewy
3/8/09 4:21:59PM
Thank you for catching me up to speed.