Big Fight Breakdown: Silva vs. Marquardt

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Big Fight Breakdown: Silva vs. Marquardt
adamsb
7/1/07 1:11:57PM
When Anderson Silva defends his UFC middleweight titleJuly 7 against Nate Marquardt, the success or failure to retain his 185-pound belt likely hinges on how much excitement he can generate. That’s because Marquardt is one of the game’s eminent shutdown artists, capable on suffocating you on the ground and taking away your strengths with a well-honed mix of skills.

The “styles make fights” adage couldn’t be more applicable here, as these two employ dramatically different tactics. If they were football teams, Silva would be a wide-open, run-and-gun offense looking to throw the long bomb whenever possible. Marquardt would be your classic ball-control, high-percentage outfit that wears opponents down, with nary an unconventional call.

link
KYGUY07
7/1/07 1:54:58PM
well you definetely hit the nail on the head here.
hippysmacker
7/1/07 1:57:58PM
I hope the guy who wrote that article is wrong in his final synopsis. When Marquardt fought Salaverry , Ivan was the one who seemed to be avoiding engaging most of the time. I don't want to see a repeat of that fight or a LnP.
kevietre
7/1/07 2:41:19PM
Marquardt has had some boring fights but he's a smart fighter and Silva is gonna look to press the action and take it to Nate it should be a good fight either way but I see see Silva coming out on top. He's good on the ground maybe not as well rounded on the ground as Nate but still submitted Lutter who Mike Goldberg thought was the Michael Jordan on the ground (but what does he know). Silva has the edge on the feet he won't be able to keep the fight standing the whole time but when it is standing he'll be superior.
raindrops21
7/1/07 4:51:35PM
This is going to be a very strategic fight I think. Nate always comes in with good gameplans, and has the ability to neutralize his opponents strengths.

Silva is going to need to keep this standing, and if he does he will win this fight. Look at Marquardt vs. Doerkson. Doerkson was controlling the stand-up in that fight, and he's not near the striker that Silva is.

I'd think Silva wins by TKO/KO round 2 or 3, but I would not be suprised at all if Nate won.
johny_rotten
7/1/07 7:00:38PM
I think the guy is right that this fight is the the opitimy of the cliche "match ups make fights." That is I think the author would be right if this was a 3 round match up. Anderson is too dangerous on his feet, and on his back to keep around for 5 rounds. Even if Nate can implement his game plan, and put Anderson on his back early and often, at some point their will be a scramble or a reversal that starts the end for Nate.
IceMuncher
7/2/07 3:25:45AM

Posted by kevietre

He's good on the ground maybe not as well rounded on the ground as Nate but still submitted Lutter who Mike Goldberg thought was the Michael Jordan on the ground (but what does he know

I bring this up everytime someone mentions Silva submitting Lutter. He didn't actually beat Lutter on the ground, in fact Lutter was winning the ground game convincingly up to that point. Silva hit Lutter on an upkick that rocked him, and basically caused him to fall directly into a triangle choke.

Silva's good on the ground, his black belt attests to that, but the submission of Lutter was simply the finishing blow. It was the upkick that won the fight. Kinda like if you rock someone with a huge right hand, they fall face down and you leap on their back and get a RNC. I'd consider that victory to be more credited to the striking than Jiu-Jitsu, despite it being a submission victory.

Of course, Silva also had knee surgery, so he's probably considerably better on the ground than he was against Lutter. Should be a war.
kevietre
7/2/07 1:37:00PM
Well he could do the same thing to Marquardt then and use his striking to set up a submission.
Kastro
7/2/07 2:44:13PM
Im going with Nate in this fight.. He is huge @ 185lbs, much bigger than Lutter IMO and Lutter exposed Silva for having weak takedown defense and showed that he can be beaten on the ground..

Nate is just the guy to finish what Lutter started, I see him going for takedowns, being cautious on his feet, and eventually getting Silva on the ground in a position where he can pound him out and get a TKO or unanimous dec.

Remember where you heard it first!
JBatch
7/2/07 7:35:11PM

Posted by Kastro

Im going with Nate in this fight.. He is huge @ 185lbs, much bigger than Lutter IMO and Lutter exposed Silva for having weak takedown defense and showed that he can be beaten on the ground..

Nate is just the guy to finish what Lutter started, I see him going for takedowns, being cautious on his feet, and eventually getting Silva on the ground in a position where he can pound him out and get a TKO or unanimous dec.

Remember where you heard it first!

Are you forgetting that Silva is a monstrous 185, he made Franklin look average sized.

Nate is a very boring fighter and has the ability neutralize Silvaon the ground, POSSIBLY. Going back to the fight with Rich, Rich thought that the clinch was where he was going to take the fight to Silva. Nate may have some goos gameplans but once Silva starts opening up his striking on Marquardt it will be over.

Silva will win in the late first to early second probably by a submission after dropping Marquardt with a nast HK or knee.
Canadian_MM_EH
7/3/07 8:10:19PM
Big Fight Breakdown: Silva by TKO round 2.