The Big End Of The Year UFC card

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » The Big End Of The Year UFC card
JackHammerXXX
7/28/08 10:14:43PM
It's widely known, that the UFC is going to have an end of the year pay-per-view, like they,and others have done so in the past. All Star card to cap the year off, it's idealistic to do so.
So, if we have to sit and wait for Forrest's first title defense until then, and the 'expected' GSP/Penn superfight, Nogueria/Mir?, Wandy's apparent desire to be part of the "biggest" card of the year, what else does it look like could happen?
prozacnation1978
7/28/08 10:25:15PM
so far for sure big nog vs mir
maybe also rumored st pierre vs penn
which i think will happen, big nog vs mir will not put those butts in the seats

rumored coleman vs shogun match or at least shogun vs someone
maybe bonner??

i see fitch fighting as well
i think super bowl weekend will be big forrest vs lidell match and if lidell loses it will be machida if he wins if he loses than evans vs forrest

maybe a hendo bout as well
i do see the ufc going overseas in jan again maybe to germany
i see silva vs okami in ohio state
see gsp vs kos, sanchez, or alves in canada next year

i know i might be biting off more than i can chew but i do seeing couture coming back to ufc faceing big nog than after that facing fedor next year in dec 2009 baby!!
tepid55
7/28/08 10:39:20PM
Sean Sherk may get a shot at the lightweight title.
postman
7/28/08 11:38:34PM

Posted by tepid55

Sean Sherk may get a shot at the lightweight title.

Why and how would that happen?
ThaAxeMurderer7
7/28/08 11:43:10PM
Yea, I don't exactly see Sean getting a shot just yet. He would probably have to win twice to be considered for a shot. It's not a knock on Sherk, it's that damn division really has some contenders. The winner of Florian/Huerta needs the next shot. You also have Tyson Griffin, Joe Stevenson, Nate Diaz etc. I tell you what, I could see Sherk vs. Tyson on the end of the year card though.
kopower
7/28/08 11:52:30PM

Posted by ThaAxeMurderer7

Yea, I don't exactly see Sean getting a shot just yet. He would probably have to win twice to be considered for a shot. It's not a knock on Sherk, it's that damn division really has some contenders. The winner of Florian/Huerta needs the next shot. You also have Tyson Griffin, Joe Stevenson, Nate Diaz etc. I tell you what, I could see Sherk vs. Tyson on the end of the year card though.

Sherk has to put in some work before he is title shot material. The way the next events are shaping up it looks like there is a good chance Sherk vs. Griffin could happen at the end of the year. I hope the UFC holds true to their word and delivers their best card ever.
Mchubb316
7/29/08 12:48:01AM
I think that they should put Nate Diaz vs Manny Gamburyan on one of the bigger cards. If they both continue to win this could be a big rematch. I'm sure Shogun, Wand, Nog, GSP, and Penn would be on the card as well if they want to make it big. There are a lot of fights that would make for a super card, and I think the matchmakers will do their job and not dissapoint.
JBatch
7/29/08 1:33:09AM
GSP vs. Penn
Mir vs. Nogueira
Wandi vs. Sokoudjou
Shogun vs. Reljic
Leben vs. Kampmann
Sherk vs. Stout
Kim vs. Credeur
Dolloway vs. Herman
Markham vs. Swick

To me this is a very stacked card and wouldhave me watching the UFC over any competitors attempt. Probably too many big names but a guy can dream right.
hails
7/29/08 4:15:20AM
So far I dont consider this a super card.

The UFC will know that Fedor will probably fight on NYE, maybe not under the Affliction banner though!!!

I think we need to start thinking about UFC100!!!!

They need to start planning this one, with title shots in each weight division on the one card!!!!

Now that is a super card!!!
prozacnation1978
7/29/08 9:10:26PM
i think if diaz wins in sept he should start being on main pay per view cards
would love to see manny vs diaz again
imanidiot777
7/29/08 10:30:44PM
What would be REALLY AMAZING is if they could get all 5 titles on the line on the main card, if Forrest waits until then it might work out as far as time goes too, Anderson fights in October so he'd be ok for December, Nog and Mir are scheduled then, GSP or Fitch will have 5 months until then, BJ vs the winner of Huerta vs Florian, and Forrest vs. Machida if he wins or Liddell, screw letting Liddell have it now though.

Antonio Noguiera vs. Frank Mir
Anderson Silva vs. Yushin Okami (assuming Silva beast Cote)
George St. Pierre/John Fitch vs. Thiago Alves/Diego Sanchez
BJ Penn vs. Roger Huerta/Kenny Florian
Forrest Griffin vs. Machida or Liddell

BEASTLY MAIN CARD!!!!
Ordep
7/29/08 11:53:40PM

Posted by imanidiot777

What would be REALLY AMAZING is if they could get all 5 titles on the line on the main card, if Forrest waits until then it might work out as far as time goes too, Anderson fights in October so he'd be ok for December, Nog and Mir are scheduled then, GSP or Fitch will have 5 months until then, BJ vs the winner of Huerta vs Florian, and Forrest vs. Machida if he wins or Liddell, screw letting Liddell have it now though.

BEASTLY MAIN CARD!!!!

that PPV would be like $100, 5 fights 5 rounds each..that's exactly 2.08 hours of broadcasting (just the rounds, not entrance or breaks or pre and post fights) ...... plus getting all your champs to fight on the same night would mess the schedule for future PPVs........ehhhh..... never happening.
F--K_Luck_AuH2O
7/30/08 3:24:51AM
Main Event: BJ Penn vs. George St. Pierre (Welterweight Title)
Co-Main Event: Antiono Rodrigo Nogueria vs. Frank Mir (Heavyweight Title)
Mark Coleman vs. Shogun Rua
Joe Stevenson vs. Tyson Griffen

Swing Bout: Kendal Grove vs. Mike Bisping (if Bisping loses to Leben)
candynuts
7/30/08 12:58:01PM
Main Event: - Frank Mir vs. Big Nog (Heavyweight Title)

Co Main Event Case 1: George St. Pierre vs. BJ Penn (Welterweight Title) --- Only if GSP defeats Jon Fitch. If Fitch wins I could possibly see BJ Penn vs. Huerta/Florian winner. But still unsure of either these two fights taking place

Co Main Event Case 2: Wanderlei Silva vs. Either Rampage (If mentally ready), a rematch vs. Liddell, or Franklin (of course only if Liddell or Franklin win their matches with Evans or Hamill).

Tyson Griffin vs. Either Joe Stevenson or Possibly Sherk

Nate Marquardt vs. Martin Kampmann (I heard that the rumors of him being hurt were not true, but if he is.. maybe replace with Nate Quarry perhaps? ...Kendall Grove?)

Shogun Rua vs. Mark Coleman

Undercard:

Amir Sadollah vs. Someone

Melvin Guillard vs. Matt Wiman

Reese Andy vs. Antonio Mendes (Or exchange either fighter with Tomasz Drwal)

George Sotiropousdoifuds;hfsd vs. Luigi Fioravjkliajegoialksjd (The battle of the 5 Syllables).

2-3 More fights with Cheap Fighters (Because the fighter salaries to this point are pretty high).

Jorge Gurgel vs. Mark Bocek

Brad Morris vs. Christian Wellisch

Maybe one more if one of the Co-Main Event fights do not happen.

There.... I tried. Still might be a bit tooo stacked for it to work.

Aether
7/30/08 1:17:34PM
yeah I could see them MAYBE putting on 2 title fights for a really special event (I would think it would be more likely for UFC 100 than for the year end card) but there's just no way you're ever going to see all 5 belts on the line in a single card. Too many problems, the time slotting is the least of it. Think about how hard it would be to synchronize that, AND to de-synchronize the belts after the event. If everyone defends at the same time someone has to wait about 5 months before they defend OR the UFC would be forced to put on a card or two with 2 title fights following the 5 title event.

It's just not feasible. Never happening.
prozacnation1978
7/30/08 1:27:25PM
big three will be penn vs st pierre
shogun vs coleman
big nog vs mir for the title
tomsmith17381
7/30/08 6:11:59PM

Posted by imanidiot777

BEASTLY MAIN CARD!!!!

i like your thinking that would be a sick card