The better 10 point scoring is...............................

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » The better 10 point scoring is...............................
POLL: Which 10 point system should we use
10 point with some 10-10 scoring 70% (14)
10 point must 30% (6)
MoJoy
7/7/08 12:42:12AM
To me, undoubtedly the one where you can have a 10-10 round. I will explain why. Problem with 10 point must system many times there are fights where the first two rounds are even. Your left thinking, who really won that round. Especially as of late, this has happened a lot. And will happen more and more. Its simple. Fighters are becoming better and better, people who would not be doing mma will be doing it, and they are starting younger. More fights will be going to decision, like it or not you better accept it. And rounds will happen increasingly where you have no idea who won the round. And then the 3rd round, one guy steps up to front, and wins the round clearly. He can easily have the deciion go against him, first two even rounds go the other way, he gets credit for the 3rd round. This is terrible. Now if you have the other system. Its so much better. Yeah you will get some draws some of the time. That will happen, its alright. To me its really worse to have a fighter who should have won get a loss, then two fighters end up in a draw. People who dont like draw, how can you possiblly think a wrongful loss is better? I think it has to defintely go to the better 10 point system I was hinting at. And what would be even better would be a revamped complex scoring system. Give me some thoughts. Heard.
hotrodttt
7/7/08 12:49:59AM
10-10 Rounds are used, just not that often. And another variable to this is that there are factors that determine the Round Winner, Effective Striking, Grappling, Agression and Octagon Control. Now I like the way that Pride scored the Fight. They gave the Fight to the Fighter who tried to Finish the Fight. I think that's the way that Fights should be scored.
cmill21
7/7/08 1:03:13AM
I hate 10 point must for a multi faceted sport like mma. It works for boxing and kick boxing because it's clear cut. With mma there are so many variables, whats more important, and it leaves room for interpritation which causes confusion and wrong decisions. I think Pride had it closest to being right, and even they weren't right on(ninja vs page). I think the best mma minds need to get together and figure the best possible scoring system out.
pdanke
7/7/08 2:58:13AM
I think the judges should be more willing to score rounds 10-8 or even 10-7 for lopsided rounds, instead of 10-9 "just because." That will push fighters to fight as aggressively as possible because of the higher stakes.

Granted, some rounds are near impossible to call one way or the other, but that's why we're fans and why these guys are paid to judge.... we can only hope they judge it correctly (aggression, octagon control, and not just takedowns).
sammyd1213
7/7/08 3:08:54AM
If it aint broke dont fix it. And it isnt broke. In a sport like MMA you will never have the scoring perfect. There are ways the system could be changed but then we would find something else to complain about.
MoJoy
7/7/08 9:53:13AM

Posted by sammyd1213

If it aint broke dont fix it. And it isnt broke. In a sport like MMA you will never have the scoring perfect. There are ways the system could be changed but then we would find something else to complain about.

In my humble opinion your totally wrong. It is broke. It does need to be fixed. And it should happen soon.
MoJoy
7/7/08 2:31:05PM
Glad to see you guys are agree with me. Props.
jiujitsufreak74
7/7/08 2:35:08PM

Posted by cmill21

I hate 10 point must for a multi faceted sport like mma. It works for boxing and kick boxing because it's clear cut. With mma there are so many variables, whats more important, and it leaves room for interpritation which causes confusion and wrong decisions. I think Pride had it closest to being right, and even they weren't right on(ninja vs page). I think the best mma minds need to get together and figure the best possible scoring system out.

i personally liked the way Pride judged their fights since it was based on the fight as a whole.
VictimSix
7/7/08 2:49:01PM
The problem is the judge not the scoring system. How else are you going to score it, you either do it like Pride, 10 must or the WCL style which is much more flawed then the 10must. If a judge knows what he's watching then it dosn't matter what the scoring system is the winner of the round will get the nod. Pride had a good way of doing it but it almost takes a MORE educated judge to score a fight as a whole. You really need someone that can't have their mind swayed by a few good minutes. 10 must is fine, we just need to get mma judges not boxing judges and not Mr. Peoples.
MoJoy
7/7/08 2:52:58PM
No 10 point must is not fine at all. Judging needs to improve though. Even if you have a impreccable judge, you still will run into a situation where first two rounds are even, one guy wins the third, and the guy who should have won gets shafted cause he lost those two even rounds. Thats not a juding issue, plain and simple, thats a scoring issue. Easily.
VictimSix
7/7/08 3:03:48PM

Posted by MoJoy

No 10 point must is not fine at all. Judging needs to improve though. Even if you have a impreccable judge, you still will run into a situation where first two rounds are even, one guy wins the third, and the guy who should have won gets shafted cause he lost those two even rounds. Thats not a juding issue, plain and simple, thats a scoring issue. Easily.

How is that a scoring issue? 10 point must allows 10-10 and 9-9 rounds.
sammyd1213
7/7/08 3:03:55PM

Posted by VictimSix

The problem is the judge not the scoring system. How else are you going to score it, you either do it like Pride, 10 must or the WCL style which is much more flawed then the 10must. If a judge knows what he's watching then it dosn't matter what the scoring system is the winner of the round will get the nod. Pride had a good way of doing it but it almost takes a MORE educated judge to score a fight as a whole. You really need someone that can't have their mind swayed by a few good minutes. 10 must is fine, we just need to get mma judges not boxing judges and not Mr. Peoples.

JimiMak
7/7/08 3:32:13PM
10pt must sucks. It's not applicable to mma. PRIDE's system was at least applicable as it scored the whole fight.