Who has the better ground game?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Who has the better ground game?
MFOTHER
12/27/08 6:26:27PM
WANDY or FORREST?

alot of people say forrest's ground and bjj is overrated and wandy has a black belt, but rarely (has too) uses it. I am wondering who has the edge.

i think this will be an important factor if when they fight for the title in early 09'

Twenty20Dollars
12/27/08 6:31:13PM
I would give the nod to Wandy.
Aaronno9
12/27/08 6:38:37PM
Id go with Forrest. I still question the legitimacy of Wandys blackbelt.
Jackelope
12/27/08 6:43:18PM
Definitely Forrest. Wandy has a very defensive BJJ game, whereas Forrest has shown the ability to sweep and submit. Plus Forrest's body lends itself to BJJ at LHW far better than Wandy's does.
jawbreaker517
12/27/08 7:30:32PM
Forrest uses his ground game alittle better, i think, utilizing half-guard and mount pretty well. He is also under the tutilage of Randy Couture. So F Wandy's black belt.
Jackelope
12/27/08 7:37:37PM

Posted by jawbreaker517

Forrest uses his ground game alittle better, i think, utilizing half-guard and mount pretty well. He is also under the tutilage of Randy Couture. So F Wandy's black belt.

No need to be cursing people's black belts. There are different styles, and there are different qualities of black belts. I would never disrespect someone's earned rank. That's a huge insult, and around here where there's a lot of hardcore martial artists I'd be careful throwing things like "F Wandy's black belt" Or "F" anybody's black belt for that matter.

Not that anybody is going to e-kick your ass or anything, but it just makes you come off as disrespectful
Pookie
12/27/08 7:57:11PM
Forrest
mrkennedy
12/27/08 11:27:00PM
forrest got better wrestling and gnp
Aether
12/28/08 3:27:59AM

Posted by Jackelope

Definitely Forrest. Wandy has a very defensive BJJ game, whereas Forrest has shown the ability to sweep and submit. Plus Forrest's body lends itself to BJJ at LHW far better than Wandy's does.

Yeah this is exactly what I was going to say. I don't even see any comparison personally. Wandy basically uses his BJJ to try to force standups so that he can start swinging again. He's highly defensive on the ground, in over 40 fights he has only 1 genuine submission win, and it's a RNC. His other submissions are actually submission due to strikes/injury. Forrest has an active guard, he's always throwing up triangles, working omoplatas to transition into a sweep or sub, and as jackelope says his longer body makes it easier for him to slap on a triangle or work a sweep.

I don't really think it's even close. I'm not sure whether Wandy just likes to strike so much that he never even attempts subs or if he is one of the people who has trouble transitioning pure BJJ into MMA, but he doesn't use his BJJ very effectively in his fights IMO.
wiggum
12/29/08 12:00:19PM

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by jawbreaker517

No need to be cursing people's black belts. There are different styles, and there are different qualities of black belts. I would never disrespect someone's earned rank. That's a huge insult, and around here where there's a lot of hardcore martial artists I'd be careful throwing things like "F Wandy's black belt" Or "F" anybody's black belt for that matter.

Not that anybody is going to e-kick your ass or anything, but it just makes you come off as disrespectful

damn man, i still cant give you props until i spread more love

anyways, yeah, never ever "f" somebodys black belt...even if its karate or tae kwon do......if wandy got one, its most likely thru chute boxe, which is a legit black belt, they have a lot of good grapplers come out of there over the years......irregardless, no matter where it came from, its still a great accomplishment

as far as who has the better ground game, i would go forrest due to the fact that he might not be the better bjj player, but hes a better grappler, hes got great positioning and control to couple with his bjj skills (which i think hes either purple or brown belt)...were as silva uses it defensively, and from what ive seen in his fights, uses it quite well for that use considering hes now really none for it
Aether
12/29/08 5:46:34PM
yeah I also tried to give you props but was unable to.