Betraying my roots

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Betraying my roots
cmill21
12/16/07 9:51:27PM
Well, the time may have come. I'm going to a...a....Muay Thai gym tomorro to check out the facility and the training, I may join. I know kickboxing and MT are similar but i'm not a fan of clinching up and the elbows. Anyways I no longer have any kickboxing gyms or any trainers that I trust around my area so I think this is the next best thing. Been training in kickboxing for 5 years, and the point of this thread is to ask if anyone forsees me having to break any of my kickboxing habits to succeed in MT. (I have not trained a MT day in my life lol)
loonytnt
12/16/07 11:19:04PM
MT is fun, i like it better then kickboxing, but i think you should try BJJ
cmill21
12/16/07 11:22:11PM

Posted by loonytnt

MT is fun, i like it better then kickboxing, but i think you should try BJJ

haha I do it every now and then for fun, but I don't enjoy it nearly as much, I find grappling quite boring
Mastodon2
12/17/07 6:56:18AM
Muay Thai the next best thing? It's a step up my friend!

In a few months you are gonna be grinning like a loon with your progress! 5 years kickboxing will give you solid hands and kicks, so you can just focus on getting good knees and elbows, and working your low kicks (not sure if you've done them). Muay Thai is considered by most the most effective of all stand up disciplines because of the way it utilises everything you have an offensive and defensive weapons. You've got elbows and knees, you'd be a fool not to learn to use them!

Further more, I don't know what the Muay Thai gyms around your area are like, but I know that traditional ones are a rarity. I train with a traditional club, Jaruenmong (King Cobra) and we take the cultural side of Muay Thai very seriously. I know some newer Muay Thai gyms focus only on the combat side, simply for the sake of MMA fighters (beware of these places, the treaching is often a poor standard, at least in England) but the traditional clubs are the way to go forward. If you got a good club, you will probably find yourself doing a bit of meditation in with your stretching, you will find that your Kru knows a bit about the spiritual side of the warm up exercises (my instructor, Master Sean Dooney) is quite well versed in the Thai form of Yoga, he seems to know an endless variety of stretches, each one seems to have its own story! You will also be learning the Ram Muay! It's a beautiful thing, I think you are gonna love Muay Thai man!

KeNn
12/17/07 3:12:31PM
SOO Colby's going to come out and give muay thai a shot.

thatta boy
we'll see you there, you coming today as in Monday?
or what?
cmill21
12/17/07 3:48:12PM
Didn't man muay thai was a step down lol, for me it's the next best thing because if I could I would stay with kickboxing out of familiarity and comfort. I don't know if they do any yoga, but I do practice yoga on my own, I do know the head instructor graduated from fairtex in thailand, and thats why I chose this particular gym. Lol no kenn I won't be there today, still making arrengements with my brother in law.
Mastodon2
12/17/07 4:31:13PM
Well if your instructor has been through Fairtex he should be good. My instructor came learned his trade in a small, independant camp, but he has done some time at Fairtex, he has met Apidej Sit Hiran, unfortunately, he was there before Yodsaenklai's time!
cmill21
12/17/07 5:07:33PM

Posted by Mastodon2

Well if your instructor has been through Fairtex he should be good. My instructor came learned his trade in a small, independant camp, but he has done some time at Fairtex, he has met Apidej Sit Hiran, unfortunately, he was there before Yodsaenklai's time!

Good to hear it. I hope I enjoy muay thai as much as I love kickboxing, I'm not sure how i'll do in the clinching, I like being on the outside, but it will be a great way to deal with guys who like to pressure.