Best wrestling shoes

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Best wrestling shoes
Jackelope
10/1/07 1:32:35PM
I've been out of the wrestling game for years now (8 to be exact... ACK!) anyway, back in the day I used to swear by my Asics wrestling shoes. I'm wondering if there's been any major changes in the shoe market and what shoes are the best nowadays, or if it's still just a personal preference. Need to buy some cuz my feet keep getting scuffed up on shoots. Don't got the damn caluses back yet haha
loonytnt
10/1/07 1:36:43PM
imo a shoe is a shoe for wrestling, ive had $30 shoes and ive had $100 ones and i didnt see any thing that made them better
Svartorm
10/2/07 4:33:25AM

Posted by Jackelope

I've been out of the wrestling game for years now (8 to be exact... ACK!) anyway, back in the day I used to swear by my Asics wrestling shoes. I'm wondering if there's been any major changes in the shoe market and what shoes are the best nowadays, or if it's still just a personal preference. Need to buy some cuz my feet keep getting scuffed up on shoots. Don't got the damn caluses back yet haha

Well, the question you should answer first is if you're going to be fighting at all, and if so, will you be allowed to wear shoes. You should always train decked out in what you'll actually be fighting in (aside from decking yourself out for stand-up fighting, of course). If you're not allowed to wear shoes in whatever tournament setting, if any, you'll fight in, then don't train in them.
fullerene
10/2/07 8:10:44AM
I think Asics is still the market leader...you can get them at a reasonable price at a sporting goods store which makes them easy to buy, too.

I don't know if I'm the only one who's discovered this (and I did it by forgetting to bring my sneakers at the gym one day), but wrestling shoes are great for doing deadlifts and squats as well--completely flat and stable surface on the bottom plus extra ankle support. (I know it's bad etiquette/hygiene to wear them off the mat, but oh well)
bayonetxwork
10/2/07 2:42:42PM

Posted by fullerene

I think Asics is still the market leader...you can get them at a reasonable price at a sporting goods store which makes them easy to buy, too.

I don't know if I'm the only one who's discovered this (and I did it by forgetting to bring my sneakers at the gym one day), but wrestling shoes are great for doing deadlifts and squats as well--completely flat and stable surface on the bottom plus extra ankle support. (I know it's bad etiquette/hygiene to wear them off the mat, but oh well)

Definitely agree. I wear my wrestling shoes all the time up at the gym, but thats mainly because my trainer and I do a lot of "strongman" type lifts
jdubs
10/2/07 7:12:42PM
asics
Mitchell740
10/3/07 7:06:48PM
Honestly I see no real difference between shoe styles besides kids trying to show off in practice/meets. I would suggest too get a comfortable pair for cheap and stick with them. -wrestling for 6 years and going.