Best wrestling in MMA?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Best wrestling in MMA?
POLL: Who has the best wrestling in/for MMA?
GSP 65% (39)
Kevin Randleman 2% (1)
Josh Koscheck 5% (3)
Matt Hughes 3% (2)
Randy Couture 13% (8)
Sean Sherk 12% (7)
Stickan
12/30/07 5:46:01PM
Forget about fighters actual wrestling merits and focus solely on their wrestling performances in MMA.
ohiostate1016
12/30/07 6:01:17PM
I would have said Koscheck, but GSP repeatedly stuffed his takedowns. So I picked the tried and true...Randy Couture.
Boo_Radley21
12/30/07 6:19:58PM
I have to give it to GSP. He may not have the kind of high wrestling pedigree that some other fighters have, but he takes those skilled wrestlers down at will and constantly stuffs their takedowns. To me he is one of the best if not the best wrester in the UFC.
rameydl8
12/30/07 6:23:08PM
do i even need to say..........?

Kevin "The Monster" Randleman
mrsmiley
12/30/07 6:33:24PM

Posted by rameydl8

Thank you.
12/30/07 6:46:47PM
It was a tough one beetween GSP and Sherk but i had to pick sherk just because he abitly to take people down at will and control them. I can see were u would argue GSP though because of what he did to hughes and kos. He also has better Submission skills than sherk too.

I just talk myself into wishing i voted GSP.
fullerene
12/30/07 6:49:33PM
I've got to go with GSP now. He's taken top position on more guys who usually do it themselves than anyone else. I doubted he could do it each time--Karo, Sherk, Trigg, Hughes, Koschek...nobody else has outwrestled so many top wrestlers.
juanez13
12/30/07 6:50:12PM
i think sean sherk is a good one, in the lightweight there seems to be noone who can stop him from getting the takedowns, unfourtunately he doesnt do much damage once he is on top.....GSP has really showed his wresteling skills in his last few matches......

kevin randleman is a very good wresteler, but he has to learn sub defence......but as far as wresteling goes i think he is among the best in the sport....

also i think dan henderson, and matt lindland are top wrestlers in MMA...
Mastodon2
12/30/07 6:58:49PM
Kevin has an amazing pedigree, but he never used his wrestling well enough to win a lot of fights.

GSP gets it for me, he dominated Koscheck and Hughes, and didnt use wrestling to set up an LnP. He is the best wrestler in MMA right now.
tuvok500
12/30/07 7:14:47PM
GSP !!

he use wrestling to reach a good position to finish his opponent , not only use it to LNP untill the bell ring.

kevietre
12/30/07 9:18:58PM
Lesnar will be a beast if he can find a way to not get submitted by Mir and use his wrestling.
Aaronno9
12/30/07 9:27:34PM
GSP. He might not have the best credentials but he uses his wrestling so well. I think he made hughes look like a fish out of water with his top control and takedowns last night. He was also saying somthing about how he was going to take part in the olympic tryouts so hes obviously very confident in his skills.
mrliquid
12/30/07 10:03:46PM
I think Hughes and Sherk are at the top of the list definately but I have to mention someone that wasnt mentioned yet even though im not a big fan of the guy I have seen videos there are actually a few on this site of Tito outwrestling Matt Hughes in an earlier event looks to be just a grappling match but he did very well.
rameydl8
12/30/07 10:09:11PM

Posted by mrsmiley

Posted by rameydl8

Thank you.

Anytime..im always for randleman..lol
Boo_Radley21
12/30/07 11:26:46PM

Posted by mrliquid

I think Hughes and Sherk are at the top of the list definately but I have to mention someone that wasnt mentioned yet even though im not a big fan of the guy I have seen videos there are actually a few on this site of Tito outwrestling Matt Hughes in an earlier event looks to be just a grappling match but he did very well.

No doubt Tito is a good wrestler, but he is a lot bigger than Hughes. I think I watched that match it was in ADCC wasn't it?
mrliquid
12/30/07 11:38:30PM
yea it was, no doubt he is bigger but if we are just throwing out names in different weight classes I thought he should be named he definately isnt the best but very well rounded in wrestling.
jomatty
12/31/07 5:58:17AM
cant have this discussion without talking about henderson and lindland. they are much more accomplished wrestlers than even guys like randy. you can argue about whether they use their wrestling in an mma format as well as randy but they definitely deserve mention.

anyways as far as this list and using wrestling in mma it's between gsp and couture. gsp may not be in the same league as some of these guys when it comes to wrestling for wrestlings sake but he uses it in mma as well as anyone so after what he has done to kos and hughes im voting for him.
Pinball
12/31/07 10:13:08AM
..... with everything he said!!!
Stickan
12/31/07 12:12:50PM
Thinking about it, I don't even know why I even made this thread. In my opinion, GSP is easily the one who uses wrestling best in MMA.

Look at some of the guys he's taken down:
Hughes
Trigg
Sherk
Koscheck
Karo

He's dominated the wrestlers and grapplers at their own game and avoided getting taken down by them with some extraordinary sprawling skills (splits mid-air anyone?).
Really, who has GSP ever failed to take down save for Serra who he never attempted to bring to the mat.

Randleman failed to take down Rampage, Chuck, Mirko in their second fight, Tom Erickson dominated him....
focusrssvt
1/3/08 2:12:14PM
I don't understand how people can say GSP isn't a better wrestler just because he doesn't have collegiate titles or anything. I mean the Canadian Olympic wrestling team wanted him to tryout and if it weren't for him being offered the Hughes fight he would have tried out and made it no questions I'm sure. He trains with those guys everyday and these are Olympic wrestlers that praise GSP's wrestling. That's a badass wrestler if you ask me.
Rush
1/3/08 2:46:46PM

Posted by focusrssvt

I don't understand how people can say GSP isn't a better wrestler just because he doesn't have collegiate titles or anything. I mean the Canadian Olympic wrestling team wanted him to tryout and if it weren't for him being offered the Hughes fight he would have tried out and made it no questions I'm sure. He trains with those guys everyday and these are Olympic wrestlers that praise GSP's wrestling. That's a badass wrestler if you ask me.

Regarding your first point, the discussions of who is the better wrestler, a lot of the time, boiled down to semantics regarding what it meant to be a better or more accomplished "wrestler"

Regarding your second point, do you have any evidence he was invited to try out? Besides, I don't think his contract would allow him to compete anyways.

I watched the GSP Hughes fight today and thought, wow, GSP has done an amazing job at beating fighters at their own game. Hell, GSP vs. Hughes 3 was a perfect example. Hughes built his career off of pinning guys and ground and pounding them to a TKO or into submission. That is exactly what GSP did to Hughes this time.
jiujitsufreak74
1/3/08 4:57:55PM
For me, it has to be GSP. the other fighters that i was considering for this, koscheck, hughes and sherk, were all defeated by GSP and in their losses they were out wrestled by GSP. i think sherk uses his wrestling very effectively in the LW division and always winds up LnP the whole time which seems undefeatable at this point (steroids may or may not have been a factor) however, GSP was able to beat sherk in their fight and his wrestling skills seemed to be sharper. he stuffed the acclaimed best wrestler in MMA in koscheck which i saw coming because the ufc always overhypes fighters and he out wrestled and out classed matt hughes twice. imo, there is no doubt that it is GSP and it seems that most of you agree.
seavillebri
1/3/08 5:15:18PM
gsp gets my vote. he's outwrestled some of the best grapplers in mma with ease. henderson and lindland r a close second and third
DevonFoxy
1/3/08 11:48:34PM
Josh Koscheck with out a doubt.

I agree that maybe Henderson is a close second but i mean when you think about it who has the best wrestling its clearly Koscheck as if you take Kos's wrestling he would have won no matches as if you take away the others they can muster more then enough wins.
Im a huge Kos fan and another left off the list i suppose soon will be Brock Lesner

Kos hands down though he did take down GSP once and only shot a couple times and was stuffed mebbe twice against GSP. And taken down only twice and the third was Kos going for a half hearted take down so i disagree with the GSP picks very much so.
jiujitsufreak74
1/4/08 12:00:20AM

Posted by DevonFoxy

Josh Koscheck with out a doubt.

I agree that maybe Henderson is a close second but i mean when you think about it who has the best wrestling its clearly Koscheck as if you take Kos's wrestling he would have won no matches as if you take away the others they can muster more then enough wins.
Im a huge Kos fan and another left off the list i suppose soon will be Brock Lesner

Kos hands down though he did take down GSP once and only shot a couple times and was stuffed mebbe twice against GSP. And taken down only twice and the third was Kos going for a half hearted take down so i disagree with the GSP picks very much so.

i don't know how you can pick Kos after GSP just man-handled him. GSP stuffed him more than twice and controlled him the whole fight. he totally and completely out-wrestled Kos and made him look like an amateur in wrestling. GSP pretty much took him down at will and held top position and definitely stuffed Kos's takedown more than twice. maybe you should re-watch the fightor maybe i should since we both have two totally different recollections of it. I guess we will just disagree for now