The Best and Worst of New England

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » The Best and Worst of New England
Svartorm
8/8/10 4:34:38PM
Hey guys!

I just took a week to drive around New England and experience all the stuff I tend to drive past when on the way to other places, or just randomly stop and enjoy things I didn't know where around here. Here's the best and worst of everything I ran into on my trip.

The Best!

Graziano's Inn and Restaurant in Canastota, NY.

My girlfriend booked this place based on reviews, and while it's straight out of the 80's, it's a great place. We got a room with a king sized canopy bed and 4 person jacuzzi for $140, which is basically unheard of. The restaurant is an Italian joint run by Mr. Graziano, who was a boxing promotor and worked with several world champions and Hall of Famers. Super nice guy and the best Italian food I've ever had.

International Boxing Hall of Fame in Canastota, NY

I'd been meaning to go here for years and finally made a point to stop in. It's very small, but packed with great information and artifacts. The most interesting pieces were the ring from Madison Square Garden, which housed some of the biggest fights in boxing history, and the broze castings of famous fighters hands. They had a huge collection and a few really illustrated why some guys were such wrecking machines. Primo Carnero had a fist that meassured 14 inches around, and Ernie Shavers, who is partially responsible for Ali being the way he is today, had knuckles the size of quarters.

Extreme Mini-Golf off Rt 17 on Vermont/ NY border

I had no idea this existed, but I came to a dead stop in the street when I saw the sign. It's behind a VT gift shop on the highway and was built by the owners as a way of shutting up people who think they're good at Mini-golf. It's 9 holes of some of the most ridiculous mini-golf you'll ever see, with upwards of eight or ten obsticles and traps per hole. The lady said a lot of people storm out because it's so insane, but I had a great time with it, despite having an average of six strokes a hole.

Wayside Restaurant in Montpelier, VT

A 92 year old diner with everything you could imagine on the menu. Everything was great and the place is packed all the time. Some of the best meatloaf I've ever had.

The Worst!

Kathy's Breakfast and Chowderhouse in Trenton, ME

I love diners because they have simple and delicious cooking. At least thats the idea. Kathy's served me some of the worst meatloaf I've ever seen, and after a few bites and a look at the menu, I figured out why. They apparently take sloppy joes from the day before, throw them in a pan and bake some ketchup on them, making it a tomato flavored mess. They also sold me a $10 cup of chowder that was about as flavorless as you can get.

Econolodge in Montepelier, VT

I've travelled extensively and stayed in some shitty hotels, but this takes the cake. Just a short list of things wrong with the place:

Bloodsplatter on side of the box spring ( I'm not even kidding)

Someone punched a hole through the bathroom door (probably where the blood came from)

The floor must of been 1/8 inch plywood, because if you stepped between a joint, the only thing holding you up was the carpet.

The AC's thermostat was directly above the AC, so it would turn off and on every two minutes due to the cold air hitting it.

The electrical was done incorrectly, so if you turned on the tv, the bathroom light and the bathroom vent, it would blow a fuse. This would also shut off the lights in the room next to us, as we found out when someone in the room next to ours apparently did the same thing.

The people that owned the place lived there and didn't actually man the desk. If you wanted to book a room or talk to them, you had to call the building and leave a message, then wait for them to get it and come to the desk. This made getting our money back really difficult.

Pier Pizza in Old Orchard Beach, ME

If you ever want to involunterily spit pizza out onto a sidewalk, this is the place to do it. Whoever came up with that saying "A bad blowjob is like a bad piece of pizza. It's still pretty good." never ate here. This would be the BJ equivenlent to getting your scrotum caught in a girls braces.
kopower
8/8/10 7:39:57PM

Posted by Svartorm

If you ever want to involunterily spit pizza out onto a sidewalk, this is the place to do it. Whoever came up with that saying "A bad blowjob is like a bad piece of pizza. It's still pretty good." never ate here. This would be the BJ equivenlent to getting your scrotum caught in a girls braces.

Frickin hilarious
warglory
8/9/10 3:19:40PM
Did you end up stopping at Donny's Pizza in Winooski, VT?
babalu46
8/9/10 8:23:15PM

Posted by Svartorm

I just involuntarily spit pizza all over my keyboard.
Svartorm
8/9/10 9:47:29PM

Posted by warglory

Did you end up stopping at Donny's Pizza in Winooski, VT?

I totally forgot about it, so no. We went into the mountains and towards NY from Montpelier, so I think we went the wrong way anyways.