Best two weeks of MMA ever..?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Best two weeks of MMA ever..?
AchillesHeel
3/4/07 11:39:10AM
I'm exhausted, and I've only been watching these fights!

Big props to the UFC for their increasingly well-produced broadcasts. That said, two major complaints. I didn't pay $40 to see a movie trailer that I could see online or on basic cable. And five fights in three hours is weak.

Big props to PRIDE for airing their entire card on your pay-per-view. Now they've got to put together a broadcast that doesn't look like it was produced by a high school AV Club. I won't go into the details, because it was such a mess it would take two pages.

Nick Diaz, Dan Henderson, and Randy Couture: I was happy to take the hit to my "winning percentage." Holy [bleep], dude!

Rich Franklin looked different coming out of the tunnel. Thank God (or whomever).

Matt Hughes still isn't "there" yet. A rematch with GSP in his next fight would be premature.

Shogun-v-Henderson! ASAP!
Manfred
3/4/07 12:13:19PM
Great posts, you nailed what was right and wrong with both events. This will be the month of the upset for sure (Hendo, Diaz, Couture, Lambert, Saukujaua or whatever that beat Nog)
jdubs
3/4/07 12:25:04PM
i have always favored ufc but when u compare the last fights from both orginizations pride has for sure outdone the ufc in both matchups and the production. was anyone else disapointed anout 68 after watching pride 33?
Kazmierz21
3/4/07 12:33:55PM
Even though Randy winning was crazy the event was definitely a little weak overall - I'm still trying to decide whether it was worth the $40 to see Tim go down...I think that probably made it worth it but they need to step it up a little next time - very weak showing following that Pride event
loller90278
3/4/07 1:32:18PM

Posted by jdubs

i have always favored ufc but when u compare the last fights from both orginizations pride has for sure outdone the ufc in both matchups and the production. was anyone else disapointed anout 68 after watching pride 33?

yup, you hit it on the head.. all the advertisements and sponsers and talking and stalling and goldberg is too much for me

anybody else think the meeting between a.silva and franklin was a little bit too friendly ?
riceavenger
3/4/07 2:22:35PM
Well, in the PRIDE event all the upsets were over guys I wanted to win. However, in last night's UFC the upset was over someone I've been waiting for a very long to watch his butt get kicked. I'd say the PRIDE 33 event was stronger overall but I defintely felt a lot more happy after the UFC event.
Mayo
3/4/07 4:06:38PM
I agree about Rich looking awesomly fierce coming into the ring and maintaining that fierceness throughout the fight.
And I agree that Hughes still seems out of it. It shouldn't have been so hard for him to beat Lytle.
I think Rich has a great chance at a rematch with Silva. This time Rich won't be caught off guard by anything.

I don't know about the best two weeks ever, but I'd say 2007 sure is looking to be the best year ever!
Buddharox
3/4/07 5:34:35PM
I liked ufc 66 better and Shockwave '06 was really good too. Hard call which week was better.

I guess the NYE shows win because K-1 had a show on too :p So 3 shows wins !
pv3Hpv3p
3/5/07 1:50:11PM
I agree...

UFC always has good production... But the lack of fights really got to me... There were only two fights that made it to decision, I believe the other 3 ended in the 2nd... There's no reason I can't see Hamil's round 1 (T)KO or Varner and Dent's one round fight...

I was very impressed that Pride showed it's entire card, I hope that the UFC can follow suit...

I guess I can't argue, three of the best fights I've watched in a long time: Gomi / Diaz; Hendo / Wandy; & Randy / BigTim...

I know that two of them were from 33, but Randy's win was at least equal to those two fights for me... What a great time to be an MMA fan.
corpsegrinder
3/6/07 12:43:32AM
I saw it live in ohio, and if the ppv was 4 hours they could have shown all the fights. Even if the prelims were after the main event the ppv show would have been much better. overall it was a worth it