Who has the best takedown defence?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Who has the best takedown defence?
The_Grim_Reaper
8/24/07 3:39:32PM
Who has the best takedown defence in MMA?
for me one of those people is George St. Pierre
Ultimate_fighter
8/24/07 3:45:01PM
1. GSP
2. Chuck Liddell
3. Kongo.... HAHAHA
owen1
8/24/07 3:48:42PM
Ya chuck and gsp are the 2 that come to mind.
DJDark41
8/24/07 3:54:32PM
I'd have to say GSP, just because if he does get taken down he isn't completely defenseless like Chuck Liddell. Chuck has good takedown defense, but once you get him there he's like a fish out of water.
AchillesHeel
8/24/07 4:03:42PM

Posted by DJDark41

Chuck has good takedown defense, but once you get him there he's like a fish out of water.

I'd have to disagree. It's not just hard to take him down, it's hard to keep him there. If Tito could have actually used his GnP, he might have won their last fight.

Maybe you're thinking of Cro Cop..?
Mastodon2
8/24/07 4:12:46PM
Cro Cop has an amazing sprawl. When people shoot in for him he just isnt even there by the time they get to him. He aint so hot at standing up once he is down though. Not at the moment anyway.

Chuck is hard to keep down. Once he has been taken down, he just stands right back up!
Twenty20Dollars
8/24/07 4:31:29PM
Gsp prolly cuz hes so well rounded. like a circle
kevietre
8/24/07 4:34:36PM
GSp

BJ PENN he might get taken down but works well off his back and is incredibly flexible
juanez13
8/24/07 4:47:50PM
the question is not weather they are good gettin up once they are taken down, or their ability to finish fight for the bottom, the questions is who has the best take down DEFENCE, their ability to avoid being taken down, therefore i belive GSP and Bj penn dont apply to this question.......

i would have to go with Mirko cro cop, has an amazing sprawl, and chuck liddell....another guy that comes to mind is heath herring haha j/k
EddieBowers
8/24/07 4:53:03PM
How about big Tim, just look at how he would sprawl against Jeff Monson. Ok now back to reality.. Chuck then GSP (not to sound like I am copying everybody in here). Cro Cop is good too. Then there is always me I have one of the best... I mean my 6 and 4 year don't even have a chance to take me down when I sprawl.
ocho-cinco
8/24/07 5:01:03PM

Posted by juanez13

the question is not weather they are good gettin up once they are taken down, or their ability to finish fight for the bottom, the questions is who has the best take down DEFENCE, their ability to avoid being taken down, therefore i belive GSP and Bj penn dont apply to this question.......

i would have to go with Mirko cro cop, has an amazing sprawl, and chuck liddell....another guy that comes to mind is heath herring haha j/k

GSP and BJ Penn don't apply to this question? Have you ever seen them fight? BJ has excelent tdd, mabey not good enough to be in a conversation about the best but he isn't far off. As for GSP, when is the last time anyone has taken him down? Sherk couldn't do it, not BJ, not Trigg. The list goes on and on. Hughes took him down in there first fight but it wasn't easy. In there second fight Georges had one of the best takedown stuffs I've ever seen. GSP is not only in this conversation, he's quite possibly at the top of the list. It's hard to say for sure who is the very best, but he is for sure top 3. His biggest test of tdd should come tomorow night against Kos, so we may find out for sure. But even if Kos can score a take down, that doesn't really mean to much, just because Kos is considered to have some of the best take downs in MMA. If he can take him down at will, then thats another story. But believe me GSP and BJ apply to this question
zephead
8/24/07 5:15:08PM

Posted by DJDark41

I'd have to say GSP, just because if he does get taken down he isn't completely defenseless like Chuck Liddell. Chuck has good takedown defense, but once you get him there he's like a fish out of water.

Sorry bro, when Chuck gets taken down, he pops right back up. Other the Jeremy Horn (In their first fight) and then Rampage (In their first fight) who has taken Chuck down and kept him there? He trains with John Lewis, but we'll never see just how good he is.
TOMMYAYO05
8/24/07 5:25:52PM
Im going to have to say liddel even if i hate him but i mean he never gets taken down and when tito took him down he got right back up.Gsp is really going to be tested with his defence tomorrow though.I think kos will put him down for sure.
kofranklin
8/24/07 5:31:31PM
1.Rampage
2.Chuck
3.GSP
pv3Hpv3p
8/24/07 5:54:01PM
I like how BJ uses his flexibility and balance to stay standing... It was pretty amazing if you watch Hughes / Penn II
fedorwins1
8/24/07 6:06:00PM
1. GSP
2. Chuck
3. CroCop
nubby
8/24/07 6:33:09PM
Chuck is the best IMO.
cmill21
8/24/07 6:36:31PM

Posted by fedorwins1

1. GSP
2. Chuck
3. CroCop

Mastodon2
8/24/07 6:41:02PM
Carlos Newton has really good takedown defence too, I was watching some of his fights in Pride's Bushido series last night, and he was just so tricky to get down. His balace is amazing! He doesn't use a typical sprawl, instead, everytime people try to throw him around he just seems to land on his feet.
Trapt1nw0nder
8/24/07 7:53:20PM

Posted by fedorwins1

1. GSP
2. Chuck
3. CroCop

Not if they get caught on the chin
fedorwins1
8/24/07 7:54:37PM
You just like to disagree with everything I say....
Trapt1nw0nder
8/24/07 7:59:14PM

Posted by fedorwins1

Naw man,its just funny how every fighter you mentioned got KO'd in their last fight.

Am I lying?
Jackelope
8/24/07 8:46:05PM
With Crocop half the time it's not even like he has to sprawl. He's got that sprawl/run technique that happens so fast you're left watching the TV wondering "WTF!?!?" It's also why I think the ring played in his favor for Pride and why I think the cage will play against him since he can't run back from the takedown.

Chuck's takedown defense is amazing. Every time he gets put up against the fence you think it's only a matter of time before they're on the ground. It never happens, though. Besides when Randy kept cinching him up cloesr and closer to take him down. Of course, even then he would get right back up a couple times before Randy gassed him out.

GSP- if he manages to avoid the takedowns by Koscheck I'll put him on my list. Plus, GSP is no stranger on the ground so it's hard to judge.

Rush
8/24/07 9:04:15PM
GSP
BJ Penn
Chuck Liddell
DNor
8/24/07 9:26:42PM
Rampage and Chuck come to mind for me.
fedorwins1
8/24/07 9:27:36PM

Posted by DNor

Rampage and Chuck come to mind for me.

Actually yeah I forgot about Page. He's my new #3.
ocho-cinco
8/25/07 3:35:58AM

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

Posted by fedorwins1

Naw man,its just funny how every fighter you mentioned got KO'd in their last fight.

Am I lying?

What does getting KO'd have to do with stopping a take down????

just wondering
Trapt1nw0nder
8/25/07 10:50:27AM

Posted by ocho-cinco

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

Posted by fedorwins1

Am I lying?

What does getting KO'd have to do with stopping a take down????

just wondering

It was really a sarcasm more than anything,but...getting clipped on the chin is an easy way to get someone down
nate22
8/25/07 11:17:44AM
It's BJ for me, watching his fight the first round vs Hughes, that balance was ridiculous especially when you considering it was Hughes trying to take him down. Against GSP, same thing. BJ ftw.