Best Submission in UFC / Pride event...

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Best Submission in UFC / Pride event...
Next Page »
POLL: Best sub ever
Mir vs Silvia 9% (4)
Saku vs Renzo 0% (0)
Chonan vs A.Silva 52% (24)
Genki Sudo vs Butterbean 2% (1)
Hughes vs GSP 11% (5)
Aoki vs Hansen 26% (12)
pv3Hpv3p
1/30/07 2:36:53PM
Many people will tell you that the KO is the most exciting aspect of any combat sport, but I think a devestating submission is equally impressive...

Whadayathink??? I've got to go with Chonan / A.Silva never seen anything like it...

Please feel free to tell me all the good ones that I missed too... I love to see a great submission, it ilustrates the versitility and the beauty of the MMA fight game.

Note: I would've liked to add Nick Diazes kimura sub of Neer, just because he tooled him for 2 rounds before he finished it with a decisive victory... WAR NICK DIAZ
thelastking
1/30/07 2:41:09PM
Aoki against hansen was amazing and really surprising for me that he controlled hansen like that, it has to be the best submission ive seen in pride or ufc
pv3Hpv3p
1/30/07 2:48:26PM

Posted by thelastking

Aoki against hansen was amazing and really surprising for me that he controlled hansen like that, it has to be the best submission ive seen in pride or ufc

ya, that gogoplata was sick... You see guys try sinking them in all the time, really difficult sub to finish... That was a close second in my book.
nate22
1/30/07 2:56:28PM
I loved Sakuraba's kneebar against Newton but my vote goes to Chonan.
JoeMimic
1/30/07 2:57:15PM
Chonan's flying heel hook on Silva was nice; I also really liked Ed Herman's transition to an armbar on the past UFN not the best submission but one that sticks out in my mind in recent memory.
Gladiator
1/30/07 2:59:09PM
i think the scissor-kick that chonan pulled is what sealed the deal for me
nate22
1/30/07 3:03:49PM
No flying armbar from Sato for the poll options? Tut tut.
loller90278
1/30/07 3:14:08PM
gotta go with the popular vote and vote chonan on silva.. haha even remembing it makes me smile a little bit
pv3Hpv3p
1/30/07 3:22:46PM
Like I said, I was looking for more examples of great submisions... I guess there's only so much you can do with a six option poll, and I have to admit that I haven't seen everything...

Now if I could only get my hands on that huge MMA database that you mentioned in the 'Spoilers' forum...
nate22
1/30/07 3:48:30PM
PM sent
Savy
1/30/07 3:57:57PM
How about Nogurira's anaconda choke against Yokoi at Total Elimination 2004. Then he finished Herring with the same move at Critical Countdown 2004 two months later.
amik
1/30/07 3:59:10PM
The armbar of Fedor to Coleman. Simple and effective. But i choose Hugues in the poll. Great counter.
tffdwg38
1/30/07 4:14:00PM
HOW BOUT JOSH NEER VS MELVIN GULLIARD.
GULLIARD CUT NEER BAD THEN NEER PULLS OUT A TRI CHOKE
tffdwg38
1/30/07 4:14:59PM
out of the pool conan wins
dcox86
1/30/07 4:16:28PM
best in terms of what? transition? consequences?

i thought in terms of transistion ed hermans latest arm bar was a damn near perfect transition from the back
pv3Hpv3p
1/30/07 5:02:07PM

Posted by nate22

PM sent

Thanks again
pv3Hpv3p
1/30/07 5:05:36PM
If you have an example that i left out, please post it... I'm at work so I don't have as much time to think out thread ideas as I'd like, so I just through in the first 6 decent subs that popped into my head...
pv3Hpv3p
1/30/07 5:09:41PM
I guess I should have said your favorite... Best is too ambiguous of a term...

Herman's armbar was about as smooth as it gets though

I guess besides transition and consequence, I'd have to add the surprise factor, in which case I should have added Big Nog's armbar against CC... We all knew he had it in him.... But after that first round... WOW
redmist
1/30/07 5:12:39PM
it's a tough choice. Aoki's gogoplata was incredible and you very rarely see them work, but i have to go with Chonan just because it was so devastatingly sudden

I love subs, they're our answer to people who say this sport's all about blood and brutality
pv3Hpv3p
1/30/07 5:17:21PM

Posted by redmist

I love subs, they're our answer to people who say this sport's all about blood and brutality

Very well put... Cheers to that
hippysmacker
1/30/07 5:29:14PM
I voted for Chona/Silva but I'd like to add Horn/Sonnen armbar. Mir/Pete Williams side armbar. The Big Nog/Cro-cop armbar( because it was such a great comeback) ,the flying triangle Aoki pulled on French.
Rampage_Soldier
1/30/07 5:29:44PM
Another vote for Chonan's Flying Scissor Heel Hook
slammadowg
1/30/07 5:32:24PM
That flying heel hook was intense.
Iteach
1/30/07 6:03:55PM
Sak and Newton was a great match.
pv3Hpv3p
1/30/07 6:35:08PM

Posted by hippysmacker

I voted for Chona/Silva but I'd like to add Horn/Sonnen armbar. Mir/Pete Williams side armbar. The Big Nog/Cro-cop armbar( because it was such a great comeback) ,the flying armabar Aoki pulled on French.

Good call... I totally forgot about Mir/Williams... That one looked brutal...

I was just checking out Aoki on Sherdog and saw that win by "flying armbar", never seen it though... I'm going to have to dig that one up, sounds awesome.
loller90278
1/30/07 7:39:57PM
how bout frank mir / tim sylvia ??

that was very enjoyable!
broke his arm hehe
Stickan
1/30/07 7:47:19PM
The most beautiful one is easily Chonan vs A. Silva.

I also like Hermans latest over Price... perfect transition. Reminded me of Shaolin in his last fight.

Another beautiful one is Genki Sudo vs Leigh Remedios at UFC 38. Such an explosive transition to the RNC.

Schafer - McDonald was another beauty.
madmarck
1/30/07 7:49:49PM

Posted by thelastking

That was clearly the most beautful one in Pride.
I had to Vote for Hughes Armbar over GSP. GSP is my boy and i gotta admit that was awesome. Did you see how easily he did it in like a split second.
uhlsc
1/30/07 8:06:46PM
i loved the mir/williams sub but one of my all time favorites has to be Randy
Couture/Mike Van Arsdale. Randy's Gator Roll was pretty sweet. oh yeah and don't forget monson/hinkle sweet arm triangle with pure brute strength be hind it
Sticksta13
1/30/07 9:19:59PM
Chonan vs A.Silva hands down
Pages: [1] 2