Best Stand-up Fighters in MMA

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Best Stand-up Fighters in MMA
chickmagnet
7/17/08 12:04:30AM
Heres the list:

HW

Mirko Cro Cop
Fedor Emelianenko
Aleks Emelianenko
Andrei Arlovski
Igor V(used to be)
Antoni Hardonk

LHW

Lyoto Machida
Wanderlei Silva
Chuck Liddell
Quinton Jackson
Brandon Vera
Thiago Silva

MW

Anderson Silva(obviously)
Melvin Manoef
Rich Franklin
Mike Bisping
Denis Kang
Kazuo Misaki

WW

Thiago Alves
GSP
Nick Diaz
Marcus Davis
Mike Swick

LW

BJ Penn
Yves Edwards
Sam Stout
Spencer Fisher
Duane Ludwig
Melvin Guillard(speed kills)
postman
7/17/08 12:06:02AM
Have to put KJ Noons in lw
holt8081
7/17/08 12:26:24AM
Drew mcfedries is a hell of a stand up fighter as well ( i think i screwed his last name up)
MoJoy
7/17/08 12:31:44AM
Kenny Florian and Cung Le have to be on there. You agree. And those young LHW's Banha Cane and Reljic are on there also.
hotrodttt
7/17/08 12:33:20AM
You missed Gomi and Horodescki at LW, his footwork is the Best, no Paul Daley at WW, also Cung Le should have a mention, and I'd definatly take some Fighters off like, Thiago Silva, Rich Franklin, Mike Bisping, and Mike Swick
MoJoy
7/17/08 12:41:21AM
Well some of the guys you mentioned are not doing it against the best compitition. They need to step up.
postman
7/17/08 12:44:24AM

Posted by MoJoy

Well some of the guys you mentioned are not doing it against the best compitition. They need to step up.

Who they are fighting dosn't determine how good their striking skill is. you can look at Cung and see he is a bad ass on his feet.
komodo20
7/17/08 1:32:00AM
what about Anthony Johnson or Cheick Kongo, Forrest Griffin, patrick cote and chris leben all really good stand up fighters
Mchubb316
7/17/08 2:04:21AM

Posted by hotrodttt

You missed Gomi and Horodescki at LW, his footwork is the Best, no Paul Daley at WW, also Cung Le should have a mention, and I'd definatly take some Fighters off like, Thiago Silva, Rich Franklin, Mike Bisping, and Mike Swick

I agree. Cung Le should be on the list for sure. Gomi is almost strctly standing, and very good at it.
DiabloFreak56
7/17/08 2:10:07AM

Posted by postman

im gonna get crap for saying this but i think he got lucky, vs diaz.. and well he did ko yves. so maybe but i dont think hes one of the best in LW
jiujitsufreak74
7/17/08 2:13:38AM

Posted by DiabloFreak56

Posted by postman

im gonna get crap for saying this but i think he got lucky, vs diaz.. and well he did ko yves. so maybe but i dont think hes one of the best in LW

yeah but he was a former professional boxer with a good record. i think his stand up is legit and he should get his due...no matter how much of a douche he may be

oh, and no love for Aoki?
hotrodttt
7/17/08 2:16:34AM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Posted by DiabloFreak56

Posted by postman

yeah but he was a former professional boxer with a good record. i think his stand up is legit and he should get his due...no matter how much of a douche he may be

oh, and no love for Aoki?

Dude Aoki could do a Flying Shaolin Kick Knockout on a Polar Bear, he's that Sick Standing
juanez13
7/17/08 8:01:38AM
Mark Hunt for heavyweight.

GSP's stand up is way overrated.

Gomi should be in for the lightweights.

Overeem should also be on the list.

Add Lytle instead of Swick for ww.

take out Thiago Silva for LHW, put in Shogun.

Gilbert Yvel also.

anyways thats my take on the list. Good list overall

Aaronno9
7/17/08 8:20:59AM
I would consider Paul Taylor for ww.
postman
7/17/08 2:18:21PM

Posted by DiabloFreak56

Posted by postman

No I don't think he is top 10 or anything but in the striking section you have to give him his props
pv3Hpv3p
7/17/08 6:12:25PM

Posted by DiabloFreak56

Posted by postman

I gotta give you a little crap... First off I'm a huge Diaz fan, but he was getting completely beaten up in that fight... It wasn't really a lucky punch (like some say Serra's on GSP might be)... Nick got tooled in that fight plain and simple...

Not to highjack the thread, but Diaz has good standup and a sick groundgame... Probably my favorite fighter to watch on the ground, super active and dangerous guard and S I C K transitions... But I get so frustrated watching him fight because his TD's are soooo bad... If Diaz could get a fight to the ground whenever he wanted to the guy would be soooo much more of a beast than he already is
Quasar
7/17/08 6:15:02PM
I would agree with Hardonk but his head movement and reflexes make me say hes not that good at "MMA standup" now "Kickboxing standup" is his forte
pv3Hpv3p
7/17/08 6:20:19PM
Does Jerome Le Banner count? I know he's mostly K-1, but I think he's got a couple of MMA fights under his belt...

Also I'd have to say that Kharitonov has really good boxing/striking...

props for giving Kazaki his due... But i might also add Akiyama to the list... For almost a purely Judo guy he's got great striking...

Buddharox
7/17/08 7:48:31PM
There's quite a few K-1 elites that have done MMA, would they count? Would have to add LeBanner, Schilt, etc... to the list then.