The Best Skilled Boxers of all time

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » The Best Skilled Boxers of all time
komodo20
11/7/09 10:13:44AM
What do you think are the best skilled boxers of all time. I think Ali, roy jones, tyson, sugar ray.
Jackelope
11/7/09 10:57:45AM
Hate me if you will, but if I'm being consistent I'm putting Floyd Mayweather Jr. on that list, too.
D0wnUnd6e6r
11/7/09 11:14:21AM

Posted by Jackelope

Hate me if you will, but if I'm being consistent I'm putting Floyd Mayweather Jr. on that list, too.

higdon10
11/7/09 11:18:25AM
Sugar Ray Leonard
SmileR
11/7/09 11:22:20AM

Posted by higdon10

Sugar Ray Leonard

he was the first person I thought of! Mayweather too, I hate that dude with a passion but he sure can box!
Couldn't disagree more with Tyson being on the list though. That guy was not anywhere near the top when it came to boxing skill. He's a top 10 heavyweight of all time but no where near the top when it comes to boxing skill.
Jackelope
11/7/09 11:40:35AM

Posted by SmileR

Posted by higdon10

Sugar Ray Leonard

he was the first person I thought of! Mayweather too, I hate that dude with a passion but he sure can box!
Couldn't disagree more with Tyson being on the list though. That guy was not anywhere near the top when it came to boxing skill. He's a top 10 heavyweight of all time but no where near the top when it comes to boxing skill.

I agree. I thought it was kind of weird that Tyson was on the list, but meh... I'm not the biggest boxing guru in the world. As far as I can tell he left himself open quite a bit so he could throw the power shots.

Now, if you were to make a list of most powerful hands he'd have to be at the top with guys like Foreman
george112
11/7/09 11:42:02AM
Sugar Ray.Ali.Jones Jr. i agree with all of those
SmileR
11/7/09 11:51:01AM

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by SmileR

Posted by higdon10

Sugar Ray Leonard

I agree. I thought it was kind of weird that Tyson was on the list, but meh... I'm not the biggest boxing guru in the world. As far as I can tell he left himself open quite a bit so he could throw the power shots.

Now, if you were to make a list of most powerful hands he'd have to be at the top with guys like Foreman

Yeah I thought the same thing. Tyson had huge power but little in the way of defence! I think only Bruno could have beat him in power punching in their time. Tyson was in a different league to Bruno though.
komodo20
11/7/09 12:14:49PM
How can you say that tyson was not one of the best skilled boxers of all time he had the speed the power and the movement to go along with all the knockouts.
Kpro
11/7/09 4:40:34PM

Posted by komodo20

How can you say that tyson was not one of the best skilled boxers of all time he had the speed the power and the movement to go along with all the knockouts.

I agree. Everyone will define "skill" differently.

His speed/power combination was/is the best ever in my opinion. That alone puts him near the top in skill regardless of his lack of defense.

That's like a 300 pound Defensive End that runs a 4.4 40 and has 20 sacks. I don't care if he can't do jack in pass coverage. Not everyone needs to be well rounded if they excel so much in certain areas.

Now if the title was best "technical" boxers of all time.... different story.
sbulldavid
11/7/09 8:51:34PM
IKE IBEABUCHI
NatedawgThaM
11/8/09 8:39:52PM

Posted by Kpro

Posted by komodo20

I agree. Everyone will define "skill" differently.

His speed/power combination was/is the best ever in my opinion. That alone puts him near the top in skill regardless of his lack of defense.

That's like a 300 pound Defensive End that runs a 4.4 40 and has 20 sacks. I don't care if he can't do jack in pass coverage. Not everyone needs to be well rounded if they excel so much in certain areas.

Now if the title was best "technical" boxers of all time.... different story.

Yeah I'll assume your saying technical too. Why has nobody thrown in Sweat Pea!!! He made a art form out of just making people miss silly. He would make people miss with 5-7 punch combinations! The man sometimes was unhittable. He only got hit more then Floyd because he fought better competition & used his defense actually to set up offense so people could hit him once he tried hitting them so he threw himself out there. Just saying him since he was more well rounded then Floyd and you weren't specific with what type of skill.

Now if it was who the best defensive skill, it's definitely Floyd, he has the best defense in boxing, you just don't touch him. I just wish he was more active and threw more. He could give alot of people beatdowns if he threw more, not just a boxing lesson like he usually does. He has the potential to finish almost anybody, JMM should not have lasted the distance IMO.