Best running back in the NFL?

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Best running back in the NFL?
POLL: Best RB?
DeAngelo Williams, Carolina 3% (1)
Michael Turner, Atlanta 9% (3)
Adrian Peterson, Minnesota 70% (23)
Thomas Jones, New York Jets 0% (0)
Matt Forte, Chicago 3% (1)
Other? 15% (5)
mkiv9secsupra
3/18/09 10:26:01AM
Who is the current best RB in the NFL today?

Williams - 1518 Yds, 18 TDs, 0 Fum, 121 ReYds, 2 ReTDs
Turner - 1699 Yds, 17 TDs, 2 Fum, 41 ReYds
Peterson - 1760 Yds, 10 TDs, 4 Fum, 125 ReYds
Jones - 1312 Yds, 13 TDs, 1 Fum, 207 ReYds, 2 ReTDs
Forte - 1238 Yds, 8 TDs, 1 Fum, 477 ReYds, 4 ReTDs
(i picked these 5 because they were the top 5 fantasy RBs)

Or is it the Brandon Jacobs, Clinton Portis, or Maurice Jones-Drew?

My vote goes to Turner. The guy is just so power that if you dont make contact at the line he IS going to get the 10yds+. I remember seeing him pull a KC player 7yds before getting hit then spinning out of another tackle before being slowed down by his own team. I think his only downfall is if he does get caught behind the line he gives up.

My number 2 goes to Peterson. If he could HOLD ON TO THE BALL his stats would be skyrocketed!

My number 3 goes to Williams simply beacuse we dont know if he is a one year wonder yet. I want to see if he can pull off another AMAZING season and he may be in the ellite someday
kopower
3/18/09 10:37:37AM
I agree about Peterson. I watch all the Vikings games and he is a stud, but he fumbles a bit too much for my liking. Also he has problems with blitz pick up. He is fun to watch because every time he touches the ball, he could break one. Give him one more year and he will be the best.

If Turner can duplicate last years numbers, he would be number one. Great size and speed.
cowcatcher
3/18/09 11:14:56AM
if im picking a guy to be my franchise back its peterson hands down. he can change the way the opposing team plays more than any other back in the NFL.
chuckw94
3/18/09 11:30:41AM
adrian peterson is by far the best back. and i hate the vikings.
urbman
3/18/09 1:05:11PM
I know he consistently has health issues but I think any list like this should include B.Westbrook.No defensive coordinator in the league relishes game planning for him.He does everything well on the field, whatever is required of him he can do.Very good runner,outstanding receiver and very good in his pass blocking assignments as well.That is, when he's able to be on the field.
Jackelope
3/18/09 2:12:01PM
No offense to any of these backs intended, but man... I think the RB position is at its weakest point in years.

I think most people are going to say Petersen, personally.

Outside of a few years back with LT we haven't really seen a RB dominate the game in a while like we used to in the 90's and back
Twenty20Dollars
3/18/09 2:52:40PM
I would Peterson because he gets a lot of carries.

And I would have #2 be Portis because he isnt used enough

Larry Johnson could still be a top RB, if my chiefs could ship him out of KC.
The_Ho_Bag
3/18/09 2:54:22PM
i hate the eagles but im going to go with westbrook. he has the best hands out all the RBs and even tho he has had his health issues, estbrook is def worth top 5 in the NFL
king_katool
3/18/09 3:00:46PM
peterson is a beast, but westbrook is a bigger one IMO, reminds me of my man marshall faulk, if he releases in the open field WATCH OUT, QB dumps it off to the HB let him do his thing, if he could stay healthy he'd be clear cut #1
SpiderSilva
3/18/09 3:35:21PM
#1 is AP no one is close dude is a power back/speed/can catch he will own every RB record barring getting hurt

#2 Westbrook is a beast in the open field plus his QB helps being he is the shizzle

#3 Turner proved the chargers let the wrong back go
zephead
3/18/09 3:50:29PM
What is this based on? Just running the ball? Running and catching? Blocking? All 3?

Because if it is the best all-around back, Portis is in the Top 3, if not the best. He is as tough as they come. He can run, catch and what he does that I don't see those others do, he blocks like a O-Linemen. He takes on D-Linemen and LB and just flattens them
mkiv9secsupra
3/18/09 3:59:32PM

Posted by zephead

What is this based on? Just running the ball? Running and catching? Blocking? All 3?

Because if it is the best all-around back, Portis is in the Top 3, if not the best. He is as tough as they come. He can run, catch and what he does that I don't see those others do, he blocks like a O-Linemen. He takes on D-Linemen and LB and just flattens them

I would base this on all around skill. Blockng,receiving, and running. A better wording to the /question is what RB is a better asset to the team?
postman
3/18/09 5:01:08PM
I would say AP right now but watch out for Steve Slaton . He had 100 rushes less then AP and the stats are pretty close.
higdon10
3/18/09 8:09:21PM
AP. No question.
mkiv9secsupra
3/18/09 10:26:39PM
wow im astonished at the AP votes. Even though he costs his team 3 wins a season he is the best? Fumbles are horrible and AP cannot hang on to the ball!!!
cmill21
3/18/09 11:12:02PM
Ricky Williams. Wooo.
kopower
3/18/09 11:58:46PM
I totally forgot about Westbrook. When it comes to the most complete back, Westbrook is the man. He might not be as explosive a runner as AP but right now he is the better all around back. Like a few of you said, I wish he could stay healthy.
Drudinh
3/20/09 2:32:23AM
All day, as long as he can keep onto the ball
NatedawgThaM
3/21/09 2:11:27AM
Gota say Peterson. They have nothing but him and the D-Line. He carries a whole team. I'm sure every other back has atleast a good QB, reciver or oline
hippysmacker
3/21/09 1:09:08PM
Actually I think Minnesota has had one of the best O-lines in the league overall. Birk just left as free agent last week, so the gy I think is the best overall center in the league left, but last year they were great. Hutchinson is the best overall G IMO. Mckinnie a top 10 OT.There right guard Herrera is a good run blocker, but only average pass blocker. It's their right tackle that is the only below average starter in the NFL IMO. Like the giants , that line is built to run block, but they are still above average pass blockers.
NatedawgThaM
3/21/09 3:08:28PM
Yeah Turner definitely could compete even though he was severely and unfairly under the radar last year and I don't think I could name another great player on the offense besides Ryan but he's more good we'll find out if he's great this season if he can repeat that sucess.

The Vikings O-line is starting to fall apart though but they definitely got the job done for Adrian. Can't believe I forgot them. I guess my opinion is Adrian is the best overall back that could carry a team on his shoulders by himself and be the offense.