Who do you think is the best refferee for UFC..

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Who do you think is the best refferee for UFC..
POLL: Who is the best refferee for UFC.
Big John Mcharthy 91% (31)
Mario Yamasaki 3% (1)
Other...(please note in your post) 6% (2)
Winslow
4/16/07 1:53:27PM
I personally think that Big John Mcharthy is the best ufc refferee.....and he has been there since day 1.
richieb19
4/16/07 1:55:09PM
Well he hasnt quite been there since day one, he started at UFC 2 I believe... either way there is no comparison, hes the best ref in all of MMA...
garrick
4/16/07 1:55:54PM
Totally agree. Big John knows the game better then anyone else. He is the best refree the UFC has.
LoSt
4/16/07 5:24:48PM
big john definately gets my vote, herb dean is pretty good too.
papercut
4/16/07 6:35:16PM

Posted by garrick

Totally agree. Big John knows the game better then anyone else. He is the best refree the UFC has.

I know I'm but
Ultimate_fighter
4/16/07 7:32:33PM
Are you ready? Are you ready? LETS GET IT ON!!!!!
Big John in my books
Rush
4/16/07 8:10:32PM
Not a whole lot to choose from in the poll eh?
loller90278
4/16/07 8:25:05PM
cecile peoples he gets knocked out/down more than any fighter hahaa

(does he even ref for the ufc?)
Trapt1nw0nder
4/16/07 9:35:52PM
Mario Yamasaki has pissed me off the most...Bad stoppage in the Tito/Liddell 2 fight,and just bad refereing in the Okami/Swick fight....

Big John at least lets it go on when there is alot on the line(GSP/Serra)....

Steve Mazzagatti is alright too..
pv3Hpv3p
4/17/07 1:32:01PM
Not a very tough call... BJM is the best ref in not only the UFC but all of MMA...

War BJM
SteedTheDeed
4/17/07 2:08:48PM
herb dean #1
hippysmacker
4/17/07 2:23:11PM
Big John is the man IMO. Yamasaki is too unobservant to me. He almost caused Hughes the title after he missed that obvious nutt shot.
cowcatcher
4/17/07 2:33:46PM
BJM is the best without a doubt, but herb is also very good. if nothing else hearing buffer announce mario yamasaki is reason enough for him to be there for me, it never isnt funny hearing him say mario ah-yamasaki
rameydl8
4/17/07 7:13:04PM
Big John is the greatest ref in all of mma and will always be the best
hook_tothe_body
4/17/07 7:46:01PM

Posted by hippysmacker

Big John is the man IMO. Yamasaki is too unobservant to me. He almost caused Hughes the title after he missed that obvious nutt shot.

Exactly. It looked like Hughes looked right at him and said "low blow" and grabbed him nuts, and Yamasaki didn't do crap.

Big John got my vote. My name is Marc McCarthy, maybe he's my uncle! Maybe he can get me some kick ass seats!

Nah, he's not my uncle ...
BigWilly
4/17/07 8:24:12PM
Big John i think has the most experience.... but i think "best referee" is an oxymoron because all have made there fair share of terrible calls...
JunCTion
4/18/07 3:37:26AM

Posted by richieb19

Well he hasnt quite been there since day one, he started at UFC 2 I believe... either way there is no comparison, hes the best ref in all of MMA...

correct. ufc2. what kind of thread/poll is this? the title should read

BIG JOHN MCCARTHY IS THE BEST REF IN ALL OF MMA!!!!!
IF YOU GOT A PROBLEM WITH THAT THEN...
LETS GET IT ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mastodon2
4/18/07 12:05:07PM
Herb Dean is good, Mario Yamasaki is ok, but his ring awareness could be better. He lets some blatant fouls get past him sometimes.

I'd still say though, that the old school Pride refs were better.
JunCTion
4/18/07 4:16:10PM
pride refs are good.

but i think it comes down to ring awareness. BJM sees the whole ring, the whole fight. he is(was?) a cop hes used to observing, attention to details, being aware of all thats around him.
i think a lot of other refs spend a lot of time looking at the fighters faces in tha stand up for the ko or hands while submissions are attempted for the tap. so they miss obvious things that we might see like grabbing the fence or nutt shots.
you cant teach what BJM does
shinobi
4/19/07 2:41:40AM
when BJM retires, they should put him in the hall of fame.
JunCTion
4/21/07 12:12:31AM

Posted by shinobi

when BJM retires, they should put him in the hall of fame.

he should already be in there. and when hes done refing they should make him vice pres. under dana.
bywayofko
4/21/07 1:22:24AM
Big John for sure but I think Herb Dean is good too although he tends to stop fights a little bit early in my opinion.
JunCTion
4/21/07 1:31:16PM

Posted by bywayofko

Big John for sure but I think Herb Dean is good too although he tends to stop fights a little bit early in my opinion.

i see you just joined. good luck on your 1st event tonight (or today i guess)
Rush
4/21/07 9:39:51PM
Yamasaki blows. I just finished watching the Kongo Silva fight and he let those guys lay there doing nothing for 1.5 min. Then he only stood them up because of an equipment problem.