Best reciever in the NFL?

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Best reciever in the NFL?
cloud301336
3/17/09 11:38:33PM
Is it Larry Fitzgerald who used to be a water boy.

Is it Randy Moss who was charged with battery before going to the NFL.

Is it Jerry Rice, who may have been, just a product to the brand new west coast offense.

Is it None of these, but someone else?

Also if you like hip hop, listen to this new rapper.

www.myspace.com/deafmusic4
hippysmacker
3/17/09 11:48:16PM
I would narrow it down To Moss, A, Johonson and Fitzgerald at the moment. I think Calvin Johnson could move into that group quikly, if Detriot gets a good QB, and has the potentila to be the best soon.Andre Johnson has been injury prone throught his career, adn Moiss is not tough over themiddle, so I would go with Fitzgerald atthe moment.
Jackelope
3/18/09 12:14:00AM
With Fitzgerald breaking Rice's record last year it's hard to deny his domination of the game currently. I wonder what the stat is passes thrown per game in the old 49'ers offense vs. the Cardinals offense of today? That would shed some light on the subject. Of course, I guess you could just look at yards per reception for each of those years between Rice and Fitz. I'm too lazy, though.

I think Rice played a bit harder nosed football than Fitzgerald does, but then again Fitzgerald has certain athletic gifts like jumping receptions that are probably slightly better than what Rice had.

IMO it's gotta be between those two, though.

Wolfenstein
3/18/09 12:14:23AM
I would give the nod to Andre Johnson. He has probably faced more double teams than any other receiver the last few years because he hasn't had a good #2. Yet he still dominates...when he's healthy.
Twenty20Dollars
3/18/09 12:29:51AM
well it cant be jerry rice, if we are talking about the "best reciever in the NFL"

I would have to say Larry because his QB makes him look good along with his size and catching ability, and I would prolly have Andre Johnson second but he hasnt had the best QB throwing to him like along with Steve Smith(who is prolly under used by the panthers, which is a shame).
urbman
3/18/09 2:16:38AM
I think I'd rank them,Fitzgerald,A.Johnson,S.Smith and I actually like B.Marshall ,he needs a little more consistency though.Also have to agree with the mention of C.Johnson too.
cmill21
3/18/09 3:11:03AM
Talet wise, Moss is IMO the best reciever ever, what he did on the field it goes to Jerry and current it's Fitz.
kaskd
3/18/09 4:01:24AM
Where's the credit to Brandon Marshall? He always gets double teamed and has to come up big for the ugly passes. I just had this discussion with my friend, it's entirely what the team needs.

Do they need speed and a deep threat? Randy Moss or Steve Smith
Size/Over the Middle? Andre Johnson, Brandon Marshall
Great combo of both? Larry Fitz. I guess my decision goes out to Larry Fitz, though I think Brandon Marshall should be in the top 5
hippysmacker
3/18/09 4:59:56AM

Posted by Jackelope

With Fitzgerald breaking Rice's record last year it's hard to deny his domination of the game currently. I wonder what the stat is passes thrown per game in the old 49'ers offense vs. the Cardinals offense of today? That would shed some light on the subject. Of course, I guess you could just look at yards per reception for each of those years between Rice and Fitz. I'm too lazy, though.

I think Rice played a bit harder nosed football than Fitzgerald does, but then again Fitzgerald has certain athletic gifts like jumping receptions that are probably slightly better than what Rice had.

I thought we were talking the NFL today. if its all time it's easily Rice IMO.In fact I think Rice is the greatest NFL player ever.

http://www.mmaplayground.com/forums/topic14974-1.html
Jackelope
3/18/09 9:01:51AM

Posted by hippysmacker

Posted by Jackelope

I thought we were talking the NFL today. if its all time it's easily Rice IMO.In fact I think Rice is the greatest NFL player ever.

http://www.mmaplayground.com/forums/topic14974-1.html

So then you admit it's pretty impressive Fitz breaking Rice's single season record last year, then?

I agree that Rice is probably the best player ever, but I really feel like Fitzgerald has a good chance to establish himself as the #2 receiver of all time, if not significantly challenge for the #1 spot. I don't know football as well as you do, but I've even heard Jerry Rice on the radio saying that Larry Fitzgerald is his modern day football "hero"
emfleek
3/18/09 9:18:27AM
Freddie Mitchell

Twenty20Dollars
3/18/09 9:45:32AM
I didnt buy into the marshall hype, he has off the field issues. He had the one big game against oakland then I didnt really hear as much chatter about him as I thought he would.

Then if Cutler gets traded, Idk what kind of numbers Marshall will put up this next season.
mkiv9secsupra
3/18/09 10:03:01AM

Posted by Jackelope
So then you admit it's pretty impressive Fitz breaking Rice's single season record last year, then?

Correction: Fitzgerald has NOT beaten Rice's single season record.

1995 Jerry Rice
122 Receptions, 1848 ReYds, 15 Receiving TDs plus 1 Rushing, 1 Passing , and 1 fumble recovery TD.

2008 Larry Fitzgerald
96 Receptions, 1431 ReYds, 12 Receiving TDs

Larry DID beat Rice's post-season TD reception record though.

I think a healthy Andre Johnson is #1 right now, and Larry Fitzgerald is a close #2 and Brandon Marshall in a distant #3

Steve Smith could possibly be in the arguement if his QB was any good still.
Hines Ward is great all around.
Roddy White is a future MVP prospect imo.
4u2nv
3/18/09 10:49:25AM
TO!!!
cowcatcher
3/18/09 11:16:38AM

Posted by emfleek

Freddie Mitchell

hes nailing the hottest chick

but all time its rice no doubt about it. moss is the most gifted, but rice made the best use of his talent.
chuckw94
3/18/09 11:33:19AM
jerry rice was the best of all time. but in today's NFL i would have to go with

1. larry fitzgerald
2. andre johnson
3. randy moss
hippysmacker
3/18/09 12:22:11PM
So then you admit it's pretty impressive Fitz breaking Rice's single season record last year, then? I agree that Rice is probably the best player ever, but I really feel like Fitzgerald has a good chance to establish himself as the #2 receiver of all time, if not significantly challenge for the #1 spot. I don't know football as well as you do, but I've even heard Jerry Rice on the radio saying that Larry Fitzgerald is his modern day football "hero"

that is impressive. Rice still da man IMO though
Jackelope
3/18/09 2:08:29PM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Posted by Jackelope

1995 Jerry Rice
122 Receptions, 1848 ReYds, 15 Receiving TDs plus 1 Rushing, 1 Passing , and 1 fumble recovery TD.

2008 Larry Fitzgerald

I stand corrected. I was just going off of what I remembered and I didn't look any facts up.

Apparently my memory isn't perfect lol. Still, to beat his post season TD record is also very impressive. We'll see what next year has in store for Fitz. That's basically 15.1 YPR for Rice, and 14.9 for Fitz. Getting damn close!
king_katool
3/18/09 3:09:05PM
randy moss is #1 IMO with fits #2, randy moss is just sick, the season he caught 22(?) TDs, did you guys see the HL for the season, he's just untouchable, even in the double team he'll come down with the ball, even in triple coverage ask Miami, his only weakness is across the middle no doubt
The_Ho_Bag
3/18/09 3:16:47PM
Larry Fitz

dre Johnson

and Santonio Holmes-if only the giants didn't trade that pick to the steelers
mkiv9secsupra
3/18/09 4:12:36PM

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Posted by Jackelope

1995 Jerry Rice

2008 Larry Fitzgerald

I stand corrected. I was just going off of what I remembered and I didn't look any facts up.

Apparently my memory isn't perfect lol. Still, to beat his post season TD record is also very impressive. We'll see what next year has in store for Fitz. That's basically 15.1 YPR for Rice, and 14.9 for Fitz. Getting damn close!

Rice IMO has been overrated if only slightly/ OR Fitz has been underrated. Rice was the go to guy where as boldinin AND fitzgerald were both confident and competitove. Warner could have made themm look like top 10 over if resigns this season. But their D still needs work. Warner + Boldin + Fitzgerald = Divisional Playoff
cmill21
3/18/09 5:02:40PM
Oh, Fedor would probably be the best if he tried football.
postman
3/18/09 5:11:07PM
I have liked Fitz since he was at Pitt but how good will he be without Warner at QB Zona has no faith in Leinart so that will all be intresting. If he stays healthy and has someone to pitch him balls he might have a shot at beeing as great as Rice but thats alot of stats to keep up with.
StorminYourman
3/18/09 7:57:58PM
If this is ever then hands down Jerry Rice.Dude smoked defenders like Snoop to plants that come in bags.
higdon10
3/18/09 8:08:15PM
Andre Johnson is a freak. I would say that he is the best. Reggie Wayne is a guy who deserves some love as well.
hippysmacker
3/19/09 7:27:07AM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Posted by Jackelope

1995 Jerry Rice

2008 Larry Fitzgerald

Rice IMO has been overrated if only slightly/ OR Fitz has been underrated. Rice was the go to guy where as boldinin AND fitzgerald were both confident and competitove. Warner could have made themm look like top 10 over if resigns this season. But their D still needs work. Warner + Boldin + Fitzgerald = Divisional Playoff

Rice also had John Taylor, Wes Chandler, Brent Jones to share the ball with , Also the RB's to take the passes away from him. Craig and Ratman, and then Later Waters got a lot of catces. Remember they ran the west coast offense. A lot of check downs to backs, and most of Rice's TD's were on slants that he broke and ran all the way. Now like i said I think Fitz is the man now, but when he does it for 10 years straight then I think it would be fair to mention him in the same vein as Rice. Right now it's not even close iMO. @ years ago people were talking bout LT challenging Emmit/Payton for the rushing record and I laughed. Anyone near 30 slows down on the field, especially Rb's. However, receivers usually lose a lot of their burst at that age. You need to be a prime route runner with great separation and hands to keep it going then. Fitz has shown both, and like Rice he works hard in the off season, but I still thinks it's unfair to Rice for anyone save Moss to be in his conversation at the moment. While Moss is in the conversation to me, he is still not he complete receiver Rice was. Moss is a lot bigger and faster though.