Name the best "prospect" from each UFC weight class

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Name the best "prospect" from each UFC weight class
C02
3/31/09 12:23:43AM
For example Maia for MW. Someone who is relatively new to the UFC.

HW-Shane Carwin

LHW-Luiz Cane

MW-Damian Maia

WW-Dan Hardy

LW-Efrain E.

Lightweight was hard one for me
mkiv9secsupra
3/31/09 12:33:58AM
HW - There really isnt much to pick from in terms of prospects here so ill refrain.
LHW - Hamill - Great wrestling, greatly improving striking. He needs a good camp to compliment his wrestling. He either needs team quest, att or even the Wolf's Lair in london
MW - Maia, Obvisously his grappling is off the charts but he needs a more complete game.
WW. - Anthony Johnson is head and shoulders above the rest of the #20-#11 ranked WW's. Explosive, powerful, and well rounded.
LW - Gray Maynard and Frankie Edgar tie in my book. Both are excellent boxers with Maynard having the advantage in wrestling and Edgar in subs and well roundedness.
Jimbo
3/31/09 1:23:24AM
"BONES" JONES !!!
Playground_Samurai
3/31/09 2:23:17AM
Good answers from everybody so far.

HW: Junior Dos Santos
LHW: Jon Jones
MW: Dan Miller
WW: Ben Saunders
LW: Evan Dunham
FGCU
3/31/09 3:17:03AM
HW: Shane Carwin
LHW: Steve Cantwell
MW: Demian Maia
WW: Paulo Thiago
LW: Efrain Escudero

-Carwin is 10-0 (3-0 UFC) and just knocked out Gonzaga.
-Cantwell just came from WEC as champ and broke some guys arm in UFC debut.
-Maia is undefeated including 5-0 in UFC.
-Thiago is 11-0 and just knocked out top contender Josh Koscheck.
-Efrain just won TUF and looks extremely well rounded.

OWNED!!!!!
C02
3/31/09 4:00:38AM
Ummmm for the post above me(Florida Golf Coast University?)

Paulo Thiago was getting beat until he landed that punch which I would call kinda lucky. It's a limb going out and saying he's the best prospect.

But whatever thats why I put this thing up I wanted to see what everyone else thinks.
Aaronno9
3/31/09 4:53:37AM
HW - Pretty easy call with Cain.

LHW - Bones Jones, Ryan Bader (I just think when a strong wrestler has power like he does hes always going to be a threat)

MW - Maia, if he even counts as a prospect anymore. I cant even really think of any others.

WW - Hardy

LW - Pretty much made up of prospects, but at this point id go with Nate Diaz and Terry Etim.
lohmann
3/31/09 5:08:54AM
HW: Cain Velasquez
LHW: Jon Jones (Come back, Goran!)
MW: Rousimar Palhares
WW: Anthony Johnson (Does Kampmann still count?)
LW: Gray Maynard
seanfu
3/31/09 5:17:18AM
HW- Lesnar lol 3 fights, fewer than just about any fighter in the UFC

LHW- (Hamill does not count) Bader, Jon Jones is a close second

MW- Maia if he still counts

WW- Hazelett I think Anthony Johnson will wash out once he fights b competition.

LW- I would've said Gray, but Efrain looks like the next (better) Matt Hughes.

Khaos
3/31/09 6:23:50AM
HW: Antoni Hardonk( realitsically though Shae Carwin)
LHW: Mike Ciesnolevicz (or Luiz Cane)
MW: Dan Miller
LW: Efran Escudero
jhallway
3/31/09 9:27:16AM
HW - Cain Velasquez
LHW- Jason Brilz
MW - Aaron Simpson
WW- Rick Story
LW- Efrain Escudero

When does a guy go from "prospect" to "contender"? I think if you have less than 3 UFC fights or 8 career fights, you're still a prospect.
bls1919
3/31/09 11:03:21AM
HW: Pat Berry dude has some serious leg kicks and an alltogether stand up game

LHW: Luis Cane I love this guy. he has a great killer instinct

MW: Ben Saunders He keeps on winning against lower teir guys. Cant wait to see how he does against a vet like Swick

WW: Anthony Jiohnson This guy is on a roll, and he is a big 170

LW: Grey Maynard His boxing is improving and has great wrestling. Another guy i cant wait to see fight some tougher competition.
wiggum
3/31/09 11:04:33AM

Posted by lohmann

my thoughts exactly....i almost put maia instead of palhares, but i didnt cuz demian isnt really a prospect anymore, he's one fight away at most from a title shot and is solidified contender, were as palhares is definitly up and coming....i was suprised to see that it took this long to get cain on this thread
AchillesHeel
3/31/09 11:07:12AM

Posted by jhallway

When does a guy go from "prospect" to "contender"? I think if you have less than 3 UFC fights or 8 career fights, you're still a prospect.

I have the same question, but a different answer. I don't think of a "prospect" is the same thing as a "future contender", although I can see that lots of folks do.

3 fights in the UFC appears to be the benchmark for establishing whether a fighter is legit or not. Dana White appears to use "3 strikes and you're out" as a rule of thumb, for journeymen, former champions, and fan favorites alike. New guys don't even get that many chances to prove themselves. So I think a "prospect" would be somebody with 0-2 fights in the UFC, and who looks ready for more.

Shane Carwin is no prospect, in my opinion. With 3 KOs under 2 minutes, the last over a former title contender, basically everybody has already penciled him in for a title shot (myself included). He's a top UFC fighter, full stop. Same with Demian Maia, Cain Velasquez, and Gray Maynard.

Jon Jones is the first name that came into my mind. A year ago, he had zero professional fights.
StorminYourman
3/31/09 11:33:52AM
HW Brett Rodgers(UFC should sign this guy)
LHW Ryan Bader/Jones
MW Akiyama
WW Johnson
LW Nover
Franklinfan47
3/31/09 11:45:49AM
HW: Dos Santos
LHW: Luiz Cane
MW: Akiyama (don't know if he counts, but he's new to the ufc )
WW: Rumble Johnson
LW: Maynard (again, dont know if he counts)
KaibaThedon
3/31/09 11:47:58AM
HW - Shane Carwin, kind of a no brainer as that straight right of his is enough to cold clock people. No jokes.

LHW - Jon Bones Jones looked really good when I saw him at UFC94... pretty big upset over Bonnar, but I'm going to have to go with Bader since its all about wrestlers who can strike these days... so Darth Bader.

MW - Dan Miller is a good choice and faces a pretty tough test in Okami, who I believe is going to defeat him by another unanimous decision (zzzzZzzZzz)... I don't consider Demian Maia a prospect since he's garnering title shot chatter already. Roussimar Toquinho Palhares is pretty explosive, and a really small but insanely strong, stocky guy. I'll go with Palhares though, cuz I didn't expect him to beat Hendo anyways.

WW - Anthony "Rumble" Johnson. He knows that he needs to work on his game and improve it to be a champion. Was extremeley classy after getting screwed over with that eye-poke, and told the fans to not boo Kevin Burns.

LW - Gray "The Bully" Maynard. Guy is a wrestling machine, can't be taken down... his striking is growing leaps and bounds, and training with xtreme couture and having Randy in your corner can only help your career. He's already in the top 10 lightweights in UFC though, so he'll probably want a really tough fight next.
IriShame
3/31/09 12:24:01PM

Posted by wiggum

Posted by lohmann

my thoughts exactly....i almost put maia instead of palhares, but i didnt cuz demian isnt really a prospect anymore, he's one fight away at most from a title shot and is solidified contender, were as palhares is definitly up and coming....i was suprised to see that it took this long to get cain on this thread

Completely agree. Maia shouldn't count and this list is almost perfect. I would put Hazelett at WW if he stil counts though.
PABLOMAFIOSO
3/31/09 12:50:17PM
HW: Jr. Dos Santos
MW: CB Dollaway/Goran Reljic
WW: John Hathaway
LW: Terry Etim
loller90278
3/31/09 3:07:41PM
HW: stefan struve
LHW: Shogun (thats right i said it)
MW: Akiyama or Kang
WW: Hazelett
LW: Terry Etim
prozacnation1978
3/31/09 5:53:39PM
i might have done this before

heavy cain velasquez and carwin

light jon jones and luis cane

" the kid is young and still learning ""

middle

damien maia and dan miller

welter

dustin hazelett and dan hardy

light

gray maynard and joe lauzon
Wolfenstein
3/31/09 6:16:25PM
Relatively new is so vague, I mean some of these guys listed are UFC vets like Dustin Hazelett (has 7 fights), Gray Maynard (has 6 fights) Demian Maia (has 5 fights) etc. So I'll define a UFC prospect as a fighter with 2 fights or less in the UFC.

HW- Junior Dos Santos
LHW- Jon Jones
MW- Yoshihiro Akiyama'
WW- John Hathaway
LW- Evan Dunham
Amigop
3/31/09 11:54:41PM
HW: Dos Santos

LHW: Cantwell, he is gonna kill luiz cane

MW: Cant believe his name hasnt come up, Goran Reljic. Impressive debut over wilson govia(sp?) and he is Cro cops prodigy

WW: im gonna go out on a limb and say Matt Brown, once he derails the imo overrated Johnson

LW: Terry Etim looked really impressive over a legitmate porspect in Brian Cobb
gartface
4/1/09 12:44:17AM
HW: Cain Velasquez -- Carwin is 34...
MW: Goran Reljic
Mayhem13
4/1/09 12:53:21AM
HW: Cain
LHW: Cane