Best Pride/ UfC fight's of the year 2006 -POLL

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Best Pride/ UfC fight's of the year 2006 -POLL
POLL: Best UFC/ Prdie FC fight's of the year 2006
Big Noguiera vs Josh Barnett 1 24% (9)
Diego Sanchez vs Karo Parisyan 51% (19)
Gilbert Melendez vs Crusher Kawajiri 14% (5)
Scott Smith vs Pete Sell 8% (3)
Joachim Hansen vs Luis Azerado 0% (0)
Kendall grove vs Ed Herman 3% (1)
hippysmacker
2/16/07 11:42:03PM
This is my picks for best UFC/Pride fight of the year. Feel free to add any you think I missed.I took Melendez/Crudher, left me wishing their were more rounds. As for Heroes, Shooto, IFl, Cage Rage, etc. That would be a completely different topic in the MMA lounge.
Dadaman
2/16/07 11:51:44PM
Karo vs. Diego was an epic battle.

I think the fight of the year was Rampage vs. Linland. That was a back and forth see-saw battle that should have been ruled a draw. Ishida vs. Aurelio was also a ******* battle. You gotta hand it to Aurelio (who was in my opinion the LW champ at the time) he stuck in til the end.

But I definatly think that Karo vs. Diego was the best fight of last year. I remember I was watching it with some buddies who didn't follow the sport (they kept referring to it as ultimate fighting which is a big pet peeve of mine) and that fight made them fans.
ac_gi
2/16/07 11:53:08PM
IMO

I enjoyed the CroCop v Wandy fight the best. Of the ones you listed, I will go with Big Nog v Barnett.
loller90278
2/17/07 12:00:24AM
melendez vs kawajiriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Kameleon
2/17/07 12:04:12AM
From the list, I chose Big Nog vs Barnett 1.

My favorite was Mirko CroCop vs Wandy at the OWGP!
Dadaman
2/17/07 12:09:42AM
i tried editing my post to add a sweet gif of diego kneeing out one of Karo's false teeth and another one of karo's ridiculous throw on diego ill tyr one more time and see if it works.

hmm it seems the first one was 1.9mb so it wouldn't post this one should work though

edit: nope image didnt post. Weird.
hippysmacker
2/17/07 12:09:50AM
I'm kind of surprised so many people enjoyed Cro-cop vs Wandy so much to me it was a one-sided beating, that was only prolonged by the ref giving Wandy a looooooooong break, while ostensibly checkin the cut. If were going outside Pride/Ufc I'll take Manhoef vs Cyborg
ac_gi
2/17/07 12:37:39AM

Posted by hippysmacker

I'm kind of surprised so many people enjoyed Cro-cop vs Wandy so much to me it was a one-sided beating, that was only prolonged by the ref giving Wandy a looooooooong break, while ostensibly checkin the cut. If were going outside Pride/Ufc I'll take Manhoef vs Cyborg

You're right. It was one sided, and only lasted about 5 mins. That LHK was just vicious!
richieb19
2/17/07 1:30:11AM
It's gotta go to the Banett/Nogueira series, both fights. I'm currently making a short highlight to promote a third instalment... Man these guys could fight 100 times and I would never miss it!
JunCTion
2/17/07 1:30:53AM

Posted by Dadaman

Karo vs. Diego was an epic battle.

But I definatly think that Karo vs. Diego was the best fight of last year. I remember I was watching it with some buddies who didn't follow the sport (they kept referring to it as ultimate fighting which is a big pet peeve of mine) and that fight made them fans.

i recorded it and watch it again and again
richieb19
2/17/07 1:33:09AM
On a side note, who here felt that Karo should have won the decision over Diego?
JunCTion
2/17/07 2:14:52AM

Posted by richieb19

On a side note, who here felt that Karo should have won the decision over Diego?

i 2nd that and the diaz fight was close but not as close as karo
hathcock32
2/17/07 2:26:01AM
Although it wasnt 2 big names The Pete Sell Scott Smith match was one of the most entertaining MMA matches i have ever seen. Back and forth great match. As for the Diego Karo match.....clearly Diego won!
JunCTion
2/17/07 2:48:43AM

Posted by hathcock32

Although it wasnt 2 big names The Pete Sell Scott Smith match was one of the most entertaining MMA matches i have ever seen. Back and forth great match. As for the Diego Karo match.....clearly Diego won!

and pete and scott were friends and they fought with no problems and it was an awsome fight. so whats with other fighters not wanting to fight friends
hathcock32
2/17/07 2:52:34AM
Yea it was funny as hell to see them giving each other high 5's when they were beating the hell out of each other
hippysmacker
2/17/07 2:53:59AM

Posted by JunCTion

Posted by hathcock32

and pete and scott were friends and they fought with no problems and it was an awsome fight. so whats with other fighters not wanting to fight friends

They became friends on the show, I think that's a lot diffferent from being long time friends, temamtes, and trainiing partners. It would split a camp if people planned to fight eachother from the same team IMO.
hathcock32
2/17/07 2:57:37AM
In the case of tito vs rampage.....it wont happen but id love it to
JunCTion
2/17/07 2:58:09AM

Posted by hippysmacker

Posted by JunCTion

Posted by hathcock32

They became friends on the show, I think that's a lot diffferent from being long time friends, temamtes, and trainiing partners. It would split a camp if people planned to fight eachother from the same team IMO.

i stand corrected, but what happens when your friend is the champ and you become the #1 contender? do you back down or does he look like hes ducking
loller90278
2/17/07 2:59:21AM

Posted by JunCTion

Posted by hippysmacker

Posted by JunCTion

Posted by hathcock32

i stand corrected, but what happens when your friend is the champ and you become the #1 contender? do you back down or does he look like hes ducking

welcome to the life of CHUTE BOX
JunCTion
2/17/07 3:00:23AM

Posted by loller90278

Posted by JunCTion

Posted by hippysmacker

Posted by JunCTion

Posted by hathcock32

welcome to the life of CHUTE BOX

sory, im tired and slow. explain
hippysmacker
2/17/07 3:01:50AM
Shogun and wandy are both Chute Box. As for what do ou do when your buddy's champ, if it were me I would change, weights, Orgs, or just be like Shogun and be great. Belt's don't make you great IMO. Sakuraba never held a pride belt , and he is one of the greatest ever to me. They are nice to have though
THE_AXE_MURDERER
2/17/07 2:38:40PM
Big Nog/Barnett 2
shawneth
2/17/07 6:57:35PM

Posted by richieb19

Well I thought it was tied. I thought Karo won the first two rounds(though I can understand why some would pick Diego for the 1st rd.), and i though Diego got a 10-8 round in the 3rd round. Making the score 28-28. I was so pissed when the one judge scored the fight 30-26...
hippysmacker
2/17/07 8:03:32PM
I think Diego won 29-28 . Great fight from both guys though, I was really bummed when Karo didn't get matched up with Hughes on the next PPV
jocksmall
2/18/07 12:31:18PM
i liked josh vs little brother emil
Reignofterror
2/18/07 1:00:06PM
Matt Hughes vs BJ Penn was an awesome fight, and so was Karo vs Diego (and it was free ). Crocop vs Silva also deserves an honourable mention, as well as Melendez vs Kawajiri.

2006 was an excellent year for MMA!
Stickan
2/18/07 6:31:16PM
A lot of good fights there. 6 awesome fights you've chosen.

I went with Diego - Karo. That was insane.

btw. Richieb19 do you have a website or something where I can find work from you that I havn't seen?
Greene33
2/19/07 4:03:50PM
Karo and Diego was amazing, it showed alot of people what a good Judo game can do in MMA.

Big Nog vs Barnett was amazing... those two are just made to fight each other, cant wait for the rubber match...
loller90278
2/19/07 4:07:27PM
i cant seem to find the karo diego fight anywhere on the interwebs.. i want to re-watch it to see if karo won a round or two