Best P4P of all time??

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Best P4P of all time??
POLL: Who was the best P4P fighter off all time?
Sakuraba 21% (6)
Royce Gracie 11% (3)
Fedor 46% (13)
wandy 4% (1)
liddell 7% (2)
Other ( specify ) 11% (3)
liddel4prez
4/20/07 9:12:28PM
In their prime who is or was the best fighter of all time?
pv3Hpv3p
4/21/07 1:13:54AM
I don't know if too many people will agree but I had to go with Kazushi Sakaraba... He was always fighting men much bigger than him, and always made a fantastic account of himself...

I guess I am a little biased, but I think he should go down in history as one of if not the, best and most influential fighter of all time...

It was really an honor beign able to watch him for so many years, Sak is the man
richieb19
4/21/07 3:33:04AM
Although there are many fighters who can arguably be declared #1 p4p of all time, it's always going to be subjective and biased... with that said my choice is Ken Shamrock. I realize not everyone will agree with me, but I'm ready to defend my pick if anyone really wants to argue it...
Manfred
4/21/07 7:25:56AM
Why am I not surpised you picked Ken? Didn't you make a trivia dedicated to him?
richieb19
4/21/07 11:35:19AM

Posted by Manfred

Why am I not surpised you picked Ken? Didn't you make a trivia dedicated to him?

Yeah, and I posted his entire on veoh career aswell...
JimiMak
4/21/07 11:47:40AM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

I don't know if too many people will agree but I had to go with Kazushi Sakaraba... He was always fighting men much bigger than him, and always made a fantastic account of himself...

I guess I am a little biased, but I think he should go down in history as one of if not the, best and most influential fighter of all time...

It was really an honor beign able to watch him for so many years, Sak is the man

He did as much for MMA as any man. He wrote the book on defeating gracie JJ, in the process inventing things like jump-guard pass, cartweel-guard pass, a baseball slide kick I've never seen done by anyone else. He was always so calm and made sure to put on a show. Many thought he was the best ever until the Wandy KO's. I still think he is, he just should've moved down in weight when that became an option. Maybe he'd still be ruling 185, we'll never know. He has to be in the next round of inductions to the HOF.
richieb19
4/21/07 11:55:30AM
richieb19's MMA Hall of Fame

I think everyone from this thread I made could qualify for this title...
madmarck
4/21/07 12:25:56PM
Igor Vovchanchyn anyone? 45 - 9 - 1. His first 13 fights were all in tournaments of which he won 3 and compiled a 12-1 record. After that 4th tournament, he went 21 fights being undefeated until the Pride 2000 GP. Since 2001 his record has slipped a bit.
But still in the 1990's he was one of the biggest fighters around.
Rush
4/21/07 3:45:29PM
I don't think this question will ever be answerable. Why? Because even the greats usually stick around past their prime and end up going 'downhill'.

Since so many people judge fighters by their last fight (which I find is ridiculous), great fighters will always be remembered for their declines as much as their dynasties.

I'm sure you can make an argument for at least 10 fighters that could be considered all-time greats, but I don't think it's possible to compare them because a) they haven't necessarily fought all of each other and b) even if they did, I doubt there would be one that won absolutely all the fights.

Another reason you can't compare fighters is the rate in which MMA is evolving. It is changing so fast (rules and strategies) that it's had to compare fighters and even venues (cage vs. ring, etc.) over the course of a couple years.

You just can't say there is one all time p4p fighter. You just can't.