Who do you think is the best overall striker in MMA?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Who do you think is the best overall striker in MMA?
« Previous Page | Next Page »
fedorwins1
2/1/07 3:47:20PM
Cro Cop and Mark Hunt are easily the best they were K-1 veterans!
roman
2/1/07 3:49:49PM
silva just works his angles amazingly. yea i agree anderson
the-james
2/1/07 3:51:23PM
Matt Hammil and Royce Gracie for sure
Spiderman
2/1/07 3:58:11PM
I dont want to insult or flame anyone . But If you sad Anderson Silva you are a bit of a Tuffer /new to mma .

What Great strikers has Anderson silva beaten ? He got outstruck by Chonan ! Chonan slipped his punchs and landed counter right hands , Chonan also landed a ton of leg kicks , and had Anderson Silva immobilised by the third rd allmost unable to stand . He needs to fight Kang or Suloev , or even Baroni before we can start calling him a great striker .

If Schilt was still in mma he would have the best standup [ allthough not very good takedown defence ]

Imo

1. Hunt
2. Fedor
3. Mirko
4. Gomi [ Not to technical , but Incrediable chin , and great power .]
5. Manhoef
Lay_N_Pray
2/1/07 4:01:15PM
Many people might not agree with me but I think Franklin could be in the top ten. He isnt overly powerful but he is a scientist on his feet, he throws very accurate strikes.

I would also say that Sherk packs some power when it comes to striking and I think if Hermes fights him, Sherk could win the fight on the feet, even with Hermes power
Hangton
2/1/07 5:06:00PM
im gonna go with A.Silva, Gomi, Sakara, Cro Cop, Chuck, Shogun are the top ones
hippysmacker
2/1/07 5:57:47PM

Posted by Spiderman

I dont want to insult or flame anyone . But If you sad Anderson Silva you are a bit of a Tuffer /new to mma .

What Great strikers has Anderson silva beaten ? He got outstruck by Chonan ! Chonan slipped his punchs and landed counter right hands , Chonan also landed a ton of leg kicks , and had Anderson Silva immobilised by the third rd allmost unable to stand . He needs to fight Kang or Suloev , or even Baroni before we can start calling him a great striker .

If Schilt was still in mma he would have the best standup [ allthough not very good takedown defence ]

Imo

1. Hunt
2. Fedor
3. Mirko
5. Manhoef

I don't know you ,or what you do or do not know about striking, so I will explain while my opinion differs from yours. Silva /Chonan was when he was with Chutebox (sometimes overagressive/wild/sloppy)and he has definately improved since then. Second- Chonan is a warrior and that was the best stretch of his career. 3rd- he didn't get outsruck by Chonan, although Chonan did hang pretty well. A. Silva is like Chuck, he dares you to hit him just so he can counter,and Chonan was so much shorter he was crouched down. He'll stay right in the box and throwdown. 4th -most of Chona's scoring was done by GnP, and except for one good leg kick I don't think he ever hurt Silva the whole fight till he pulled off the flying heel hook. Soon after that match, he left Chute Box and Not only joined Muay Thai Dream team , but got his blackbelt in BJJ from the Nogueira bros. His standup, especially his footwork is now amazing. He does and has everthing a striker needs. Great, hands, kicks, kness,elbows,clinch,Chin,footwork, speed, timing, accuracy, power,precision and killer instict. I think he is the most complete striker in all of MMA. If you know anyone who understands, boxing, kickboxing, even karate or Tae-Kwondo (which are far less effective in MMA) they should be able to point out how incredibly technically crisp, and sound his technique is. While I and probably most of the people you just accused of being TUFers (since the overwhelming majority of people so far agree he is the best or at least one of the best)probably aren't TUFers I think even a complete novice would be able to spot his greatness.
cowcatcher
2/1/07 6:10:52PM

Posted by hippysmacker

Posted by Spiderman

Imo

1. Hunt
2. Fedor
3. Mirko
5. Manhoef

I don't know you ,or what you do or do not know about striking, so I will explain while my opinion differs from yours. Silva /Chonan was when he was with Chutebox (sometimes overagressive/wild/sloppy)and he has definately improved since then. Second- Chonan is a warrior and that was the best stretch of his career. 3rd- he didn't get outsruck by Chonan, although Chonan did hang pretty well. A. Silva is like Chuck, he dares you to hit him just so he can counter,and Chonan was so much shorter he was crouched down. He'll stay right in the box and throwdown. 4th -most of Chona's scoring was done by GnP, and except for one good leg kick I don't think he ever hurt Silva the whole fight till he pulled off the flying heel hook. Soon after that match, he left Chute Box and Not only joined Muay Thai Dream team , but got his blackbelt in BJJ from the Nogueira bros. His standup, especially his footwork is now amazing. He does and has everthing a striker needs. Great, hands, kicks, kness,elbows,clinch,Chin,footwork, speed, timing, accuracy, power,precision and killer instict. I think he is the most complete striker in all of MMA. If you know anyone who understands, boxing, kickboxing, even karate or Tae-Kwondo (which are far less effective in MMA) they should be able to point out how incredibly technically crisp, and sound his technique is. While I and probably most of the people you just accused of being TUFers (since the overwhelming majority of people so far agree he is the best or at least one of the best)probably aren't TUFers I think even a complete novice would be able to spot his greatness.

Hippy, you are a good poster, and spiderman shouldn't have directed the comment toward you, but he sorta has a point. Many of the people who love Silva now are basically TUF n00btards, which I know you aren't, but a year ago many people who watched the Leben fight live had no idea who Anderson Silva was. That being said, I think he's a top 5 striker, but I can't put anyone ahead of CroCop.
BalledBull
2/1/07 6:26:00PM
Ice man, Cro Cop, Spider and Fedor ! Ice man is right there with Spider!
tffdwg38
2/1/07 8:26:24PM
cro cop or silva
Reignofterror
2/1/07 9:52:07PM
So many great strikers hard to choose so heres my top 7.

(no order)

Mirko Crocop
Wanderlei Silva
Chuck Liddell
Anderson Silva
Fedor Emelianenko
Spencer Fisher
Shogun Rua
Spiderman
2/1/07 10:04:27PM

Posted by hippysmacker

Posted by Spiderman

Imo

1. Hunt
2. Fedor
3. Mirko
5. Manhoef

Im not a mma fighter , but I have a background in strikeing sports .I do know a few things about standup fighting .

I will also mention that a lot of people used to think Franklin was a great striker even though he never beat a good striker , and got blown away by mediocre striker [ on par with Tiger white ] Ryoto Machida . And that most people on forums are idiots and havent even seen most of the fights they comment on .

Ive read a lot of your posts and im suprised you said

" 4th -most of Chona's scoring was done by GnP, and except for one good leg kick I don't think he ever hurt Silva the whole fight till he pulled off the flying heel hook "

That is pretty much the same bullshit myth about anderson Silva owning the fight before the " miracle submission " If you own the Shockwave 2004 dvd I suggest watching that fight again , and see that Chonan landed a Ton of leg kicks and He Had A.Silva hurt badly from the kicks ! He won that fight with Leg kicks A.Silva lost his mobility and could barely stand He could have finished him with more kicks , but he went for the slick submission instead . Also if you listen to the commentatores [ I know Bas and Muaro are not allways accurate ] they will tell that Chonan was winning also . Standup isnt just punching if your oppenent cant walk anymore because of your leg kicks than you outstruck him . I also dont buy this ' Chonan was on fire back then ' crap " Chonan is a warrior and that was the best stretch of his career " he was the same Chonan than that got blown away by Hendo !

" A. Silva is like Chuck, he dares you to hit him just so he can counter, "

Watch the Fight . A.Silva is starting the exchange he throws and misses Chonan . Chonan is doing the countering he slips A.Silvas punchs and counters with right hands to the head . And A.Silva just dosent have the heavy hands Chuck has .

I also dont think training at Chute box will hurt anyones strikeing skill. Im not impressed with A.Silvas punchs , but I do agree he has real nice footwork . Allthough I have not seen any big differance with his strikeing now ,and when he was in Pride ? Looks the same to me . What fights of his did you see this Huge improvement in ?

What Great strikers has A.Silva outstruck ?
-He beat Leben [ who really does use the hit me so i can counter statagey ] who charges everybody with his Chin sticking out .
- and Franklin who has never outstruck a highlevel striker . And I was not impressed with A.Silva against Franklin . I was disgusted with Franklin who basicly just let A.Silva knee him to the body . Franklins camp should have told him what a Muay thai clinch is .

- And I dont see A.Silva being able to hang with Remy bonjasky in K-1 like 187 lbs fighter Melvin Manhoef did !

I also have to wonder at the People who have Mirko as there #1 ?? Mirko was outstruck by both Hunt and Fedor , But at least Mirko has great KO's agaisnt some high level strikers , and a great takedown defence to keep fights standing .

hippysmacker
2/1/07 10:48:21PM

Posted by Spiderman

Posted by hippysmacker

Posted by Spiderman

Imo

1. Hunt
2. Fedor
3. Mirko
5. Manhoef

Im not a mma fighter , but I have a background in strikeing sports .I do know a few things about standup fighting .

I will also mention that a lot of people used to think Franklin was a great striker even though he never beat a good striker , and got blown away by mediocre striker [ on par with Tiger white ] Ryoto Machida . And that most people on forums are idiots and havent even seen most of the fights they comment on .

Ive read a lot of your posts and im suprised you said

" 4th -most of Chona's scoring was done by GnP, and except for one good leg kick I don't think he ever hurt Silva the whole fight till he pulled off the flying heel hook "

That is pretty much the same bullshit myth about anderson Silva owning the fight before the " miracle submission " If you own the Shockwave 2004 dvd I suggest watching that fight again , and see that Chonan landed a Ton of leg kicks and He Had A.Silva hurt badly from the kicks ! He won that fight with Leg kicks A.Silva lost his mobility and could barely stand He could have finished him with more kicks , but he went for the slick submission instead . Also if you listen to the commentatores [ I know Bas and Muaro are not allways accurate ] they will tell that Chonan was winning also . Standup isnt just punching if your oppenent cant walk anymore because of your leg kicks than you outstruck him . I also dont buy this ' Chonan was on fire back then ' crap " Chonan is a warrior and that was the best stretch of his career " he was the same Chonan than that got blown away by Hendo !

" A. Silva is like Chuck, he dares you to hit him just so he can counter, "

Watch the Fight . A.Silva is starting the exchange he throws and misses Chonan . Chonan is doing the countering he slips A.Silvas punchs and counters with right hands to the head . And A.Silva just dosent have the heavy hands Chuck has .

I also dont think training at Chute box will hurt anyones strikeing skill. Im not impressed with A.Silvas punchs , but I do agree he has real nice footwork . Allthough I have not seen any big differance with his strikeing now ,and when he was in Pride ? Looks the same to me . What fights of his did you see this Huge improvement in ?

What Great strikers has A.Silva outstruck ?
-He beat Leben [ who really does use the hit me so i can counter statagey ] who charges everybody with his Chin sticking out .
- and Franklin who has never outstruck a highlevel striker . And I was not impressed with A.Silva against Franklin . I was disgusted with Franklin who basicly just let A.Silva knee him to the body . Franklins camp should have told him what a Muay thai clinch is .

- And I dont see A.Silva being able to hang with Remy bonjasky in K-1 like 187 lbs fighter Melvin Manhoef did !

I also have to wonder at the People who have Mirko as there #1 ?? Mirko was outstruck by both Hunt and Fedor , But at least Mirko has great KO's agaisnt some high level strikers , and a great takedown defence to keep fights standing .

I rewatched the fight for the 4th time right before I replied to your other post. I do own the DVD and(IMO) I still disagree with you. I think think leg kicks can wear you down over time, but most were checked well. Only one was really damaging.As for the casual MMA fan, I think you'll find that most of the people here( who disagree with you about A. Silva) are not. People who come to MMA sites and boards are not generally the guy I would call a TUFer. Yes, he did begin many of the exchanges, but he was clearly baiting him also. Silva has great punching power, but usuall ywins by an accumulation of shot's because he is so technically skilled. Chuck is a badass with great power and throws almost "ALL" power punches.As for chutebox, all their fighter's are hyper agressive, it doesn't mean they aren't studs. they are usually best overwhelming people with rushes and wild shots. and in the clinch. I think his striking skill has improved in "every" fight since he joined Muay Thai deam team. Back then he might of just tried to stand in front of Leben and outbrawl him instead of stick n move and throw shot's from so many different angles.Yes, the biggesti mprovement was his footwork, which is why I said he has the in MMA. On Franklin's part I think he is a very good technical striker who also comes from many angles and makes it hard to get his timing down. He outsruck Loiseau( very good striker) and hung fine and landed some good shot's on Machida before he got caught. Getting Koed by Silva doesn't make him a bad striker. He had a bad gameplan and got overpowered in the clinch. As for Cro-cop he was trying to avoid going to the ground with Fedor which limit's him, and It's FEDOR man. The baddest guy in all of MMA, and he still landed plenty of shot's on him, Watch that fight again too please and look at Fedor's face after. That doesn't happen by accident. Hunt is a beast, much larger, and just outchinned( or outheaded him if you prefer) . he's a guy who is hard to damage. Also, Cro-cop beat him in K-1, I have seen it. Remember this above all. we are all just sharing opinions, and nobody is always right. Just because a lot of people disagree with you doesn't make them TUFers or any other insult you care to fling .If you start that stuff this place will go bad like many other MMA forums. I probably shouldn't have referred to you as novice. I apologize, but it was retaliatory. Don't start none, won't be none.
aceprone
2/1/07 10:50:31PM

Posted by Spiderman

Imo

1. Hunt
2. Fedor
3. Mirko
5. Manhoef

Why do you have to steriotype by calling people a Tuffer just because they don't agree with your opinion? Steriotyping is not arguing. And Barnoi is a good boxer not a great "striker" and did get beat by Pete Sell.
Rampage_Soldier
2/2/07 1:06:51AM
It's a toss up between The Spider and Mirko...
Spiderman
2/2/07 1:34:52AM
I guess Silva should get out of contact sports if his legs are so brittle that one single leg kick can incapitate him ? Did you really watch that fight ?? You did notice that A.Silva was wobbling and could barly stand right ? maybe you will tell me that Pulver wasnt hurt by Gomi that night either ?

But other than that Im done arugeing about A.Silva . We can wait till the Ufc brings in some good strikers at 185 , or A.Silva gets matched up against a good wrestler , and leaves the ufc after he is no longer champ . Then maybe we can see how his strikeing looks against Manhoef or Kang . I went through this with Franklin also ,everyone swore his standup was great even though its cleary obvious he has some major technical flaws [ And im not talking about his Thai clinch defence ]

I didnt really see what Point you where trying to make about Mirko vs Hunt and Fedor ?

Hunt beat Mirko cleary in MMA in a fight that was all standup .. Mirko's win [ and wasnt it a split dec that mirko only won because he got a knockdown
in rd 3 ?] Over Hunt in k-1 many years ago , has nothing to do with these guys mma careers ... allthough If you want to talk about K-1 its very clear that Hunt was the more accomplished K-1 fighter

And Fedor just brusies/ cuts easy . He dominated the standup , and after rd 1 Mirko was looking for more takedowns than Fedor was . Was Mirko also avoiding the takedown with Hunt ? Becuase he fought the same way [ Running/ back peddeling ] he fought that way in a lot of his K-1 fights to . Mirko isnt a tough guy he avoids exchanges like there plague and trys to strike from a distance . Its not takedowns he is avoiding its punch exchanges . And takedowns are a part of mma anyway , and factor into any fight . If takedowns where not part of the equation it would not be mma . which is what this thread is about .

Also Fedor did that to Mirko with a bad hand . Imagine if he had a good right hand in that fight . His right is also his power hand .
Svartorm
2/2/07 4:05:35AM

Posted by Spiderman

And Ernesto Hoost has been outstruck by Bob Sapp before.
hippysmacker
2/2/07 4:22:14AM
I remember watching that for the first time and thinking those must be some really hard punches. They were coming so slow but exploded right through his gloves even though he was blocking with them . That's power. Props to Hoost for coming out after the loss because Sapp was to tired to fight anymore , and winning the grand prix again.
Svartorm
2/2/07 4:32:42AM
Actually Sapp had broken his hand on Hoosts head, although I'm sure he was tired too.
hippysmacker
2/2/07 4:48:03AM

Posted by Svartorm

Actually Sapp had broken his hand on Hoosts head, although I'm sure he was tired too.

Didn't know that, I thought the announcers said he was too exhausted to continue. Good to know, thanks.
nate22
2/2/07 4:51:51AM

Posted by hippysmacker

Posted by Svartorm

Didn't know that, I thought the announcers said he was too exhausted to continue. Good to know, thanks.

LOL it would of been well funny if he had to drop out because he was too tired to go on.
Spiderman
2/2/07 4:52:48AM

Posted by Svartorm

Posted by Spiderman

And Ernesto Hoost has been outstruck by Bob Sapp before.

Whats your point ? Wasnt like those fights where exactly according to the RULES . Your not allowed to hold your oppenent at arms length in kickboxing while doing Donkey kong punchs to the head ... Not that it would have mattered anyway as long as Sapp was allowed to bend the rules like that , But Hoost was way past his Prime ...
IMO A better example would have been
Rahman Ko Lewis / Mccall Ko Lewis

So obviously Mirko is better than the 2 guys who Dominated him in the standup for 20 Minutes .
But this also means Wandy and Alex are better than Mirko !

Oh and beside Head 2 Head fights .. Who did more damage to Nog Standing Mirko , or Fedor In the second fight [ not counting nc ] The answer is Fedor , he is the only man to ever Rock Nog [ Had him doing the fish for a few seconds ]
Svartorm
2/2/07 5:16:04AM
Point is just because you lose one fight to someone else doesn't mean the victor is a superior striker. The Hoost vs Sapp fight was just the most extreme example of that. Hunt might be a great boxer, but I wouldn't call him a superior striker to Mirko. His saving grace is the fact you could break a sledgehammer over his noggin and he'd smirk at you.

Fedor clearly won their fight, and Crocop even admitted he was totally defeated, but that doesn't make Fedor a surperior striker. Fedor has uncanny footwork and hits like a jackhammer, but as far as striking goes, hes rather limited. Put him in K-1 and I doubt he'd be more than a mid-carder.
Spiderman
2/2/07 5:30:26PM
" Put him in K-1 and I doubt he'd be more than a mid-carder. " Maybe ,but does it have to do with this thread ? Best Overall Striker in MMA ...This is about mma and in MMA Fedor outstruck MIrko for 20 minutes

" but I wouldn't call him a superior striker to Mirko. " In K-1 Hunt won the K-1 GP MIRKO DIDNT !!! MARK IS A K-1 CHAMP MIRKO ISNT .... IN MMA in a head 2 head fight we saw that Hunt is a superior striker to Mirko .. Haveing a great chin is a part of being a good standup fighter , just like haveing a bad chin is a detriment to a fighters standup skill . If you want to take the ability to take punishment out of the equation ? What about guys like Chuck who get outstruck by allmost everybody until they land the big one . Will he drop from A Level striker down to not good enough for mma level ?

So Sapp Bullrushed and pulled a fluke win over a a Elder Hoost who was
Deteriorating [ Even though he was still winning in K-1 ] Not only did Sapp bend / Break the rules in that fight It was a Quick KO , by very unconventional techniques . Mikro getting KO by Randleman was less of a fluke , and ment more than this fight . Surely you can see the differance between those fights and Mirko getting dominated for 20 Minutes !!!! 20 MINUTES ISNT A FLUKE .

Mirko in his mma Career has been outstruck 3 Times !!!!

Randleman KO [ Your Sapp/ Hoost / Allthough Kevin followed the rules .
Hunt Dec Dominated by Hunt throughout the fight
Fedor Dec Dominated exspecially in the later Rds

Fedor has been outstruck how many times in his Career ?

Hunt has been outstruck how many times in his Career ?

I think you know the Answer

Svartorm
2/2/07 5:44:25PM
Chin certainly does factor in to the striking game, but with Hunt, its about 80% of his striking game. Being able to take ridiculous amounts of punishment and return a punch now and again doesn't make you a great striker. it makes you a human punching bag that can fight back. If great chins were all you needed to be considered a great striker, all those Combat Kai guys would own MMA. If you take Hunts chin away, you're left with a more refined Tank Abbot, who I wouldn't call a good striker.

I think we're actually talking about two entirely different things when talking about strikers here, but I gotta go to work so we'll have to figure this out when I get home.
tffdwg38
2/2/07 7:52:00PM
cro cop then silva
GladE8R
2/2/07 8:15:45PM
Well in response to anyone that said Noob or Nuthugger...which I PROMISE you will never hear from me....

It is quite obvious for newer fans of MMA to believe A. Silva is the best striker out there. I would put him lower in a top ten, but it is understandable.

Id go with Cro Cop over Fedor based on KO victories over subs and his K-1 career. So here ya go:

Cro Cop
Fedor
Hunt
Liddell (Striker also includes counter striker)
W. Silva
A. Silva....so on and so on

But Im writing this very quickly, I'll probably say...Oh crap I forgot so and so...
THE_AXE_MURDERER
2/2/07 9:15:54PM
Tim THE MAINE-IAC Sylvia. wand
Spiderman
2/2/07 9:36:48PM

Posted by Svartorm

Chin certainly does factor in to the striking game, but with Hunt, its about 80% of his striking game. Being able to take ridiculous amounts of punishment and return a punch now and again doesn't make you a great striker. it makes you a human punching bag that can fight back. If great chins were all you needed to be considered a great striker, all those Combat Kai guys would own MMA. If you take Hunts chin away, you're left with a more refined Tank Abbot, who I wouldn't call a good striker.

I think we're actually talking about two entirely different things when talking about strikers here, but I gotta go to work so we'll have to figure this out when I get home.

You are confuseing Hunt with fighters like Liddel . Or maybe you think Tank could outland / point Mirko if he had Hunts Chin ?

Hunt didnt get hit a lot when he fought Mirko ! He landed more shots on Mirko than Mirko landed on him [ a lot more if you count them throughout the fight ] . Mirko barely threw any punchs He mostly just Kicked and ran Kicked and ran . the majority of his kicks where easy to see comeing , and easily blocked by Hunt .

Hunt has a good chin , but he is far from indestructable . He needs to block shots like everybody else .

" If great chins were all you needed to be considered a great striker, all those Combat Kai guys would own MMA. "

I dont know combat Kai ? but your right about needing more than a great chin . It didnt work for Chuck when he fought a decent striker with a good chin in Rampage .
cowcatcher
2/2/07 9:59:11PM

Posted by THE_AXE_MURDERER

Tim THE MAINE-IAC Sylvia. wand

if you crap your pants like sylvia did thats a DQ from any best striker discussion
Pages: 1 [2] 3