Who do you think is the best overall striker in MMA?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Who do you think is the best overall striker in MMA?
Next Page »
hippysmacker
1/31/07 11:46:33PM
I'd have to say Anderson Silva. He does everthing well, punch. kick, clinch, knees, elbows and has the best footwork I've seen in MMA.
slammadowg
2/1/07 12:00:19AM
Yeah, i would say anderson too.Followed closely by Mirko, but anderson is way too accurate for his own good and he's packin some power too.
BabbyHughes
2/1/07 1:18:04AM
Yeah, definately Anderson Silva. Although Hermes Franca has some pretty accurate hands... I love the blind hooks, they're deadly.
ac_gi
2/1/07 1:21:48AM
It's hard to look past Chuck or Gomi... but I guess Anderson is the overall best striker att.
aceprone
2/1/07 1:29:23AM
Cro-Cop is right up there with Anderson.

I think the rankings would be

1. Anderson Silva
2. Cro-Cop
3. Fedor
3. Chuck Liddell
4. Little Nog
5. Gomi
6. GSP
7. Shogun
8. Wandi
9. Rich Franklin
10. Luke Cummo, just because I love his knocks in the TUF show...bad ass of the show!

I know these rankings aren't perfect because I just thought of them the best I could, off the top of my head, in the best order I could think of. Completely open for discussion.
amik
2/1/07 1:40:13AM
Manhoef or lil nog.
aceprone
2/1/07 1:42:43AM
Manhof is bad ass too....I wish he'd come to the ufc.
hippysmacker
2/1/07 1:55:17AM
If it's top 10

1. A. Silva
2. Cro-cop
3.K. cope
4.Lil Nog
5.Arlovski
6. Gomi
7.Sylvia( I hate to say it, but his striking is very disciplined)
8. Manhoef
9. Franklin
10. Hunt
Svartorm
2/1/07 2:43:42AM
Ludwig has taken quite a few people apart, although I'd say Crocop definitely.
ac_gi
2/1/07 2:43:58AM

Posted by hippysmacker

If it's top 10

1. A. Silva
2. Cro-cop
3.K. cope
4.Lil Nog
5.Arlovski
6. Gomi
7.Sylvia( I hate to say it, but his striking is very disciplined)
8. Manhoef
9. Franklin
10. Hunt

Wow, Chuck's not in your top 10!
slammadowg
2/1/07 2:47:26AM
I really dont think chuck is really one of the best strikers out there. i know im going to get flamed for this but really, he's very sloopy and misses a good percentage of his punches. Without his KO power i think he would basically only have takedown defense, but of course this is not the case. I just think that to be a good striker you need to have good technique and i dont really see that in chuck. Also, this is not a case of me not liking chuck, i think hes a great fighter and all the power to him, but i just dont think he has what it takes to be up there with the likes of Anderson or Mirko.
hippysmacker
2/1/07 2:52:06AM

Posted by slammadowg

I really dont think chuck is really one of the best strikers out there. i know im going to get flamed for this but really, he's very sloopy and misses a good percentage of his punches. Without his KO power i tihnk he would basically only have takedown defense, but of course this is not the case. I just think that to be a good striker you need to have good technique and i dont really see that in chuck. Also, this is not a case of me not liking chuck, i think hes a great fighter and all the power to him, but i jsut dont think he has what it takes to be up with the likes of Anderson or Mirko.

I agree huck and Wandy both are unortodox. Wandy relies on his agression , and massive amount of blows thrown to overwhelm but he is sloppy. Chuck throws almost all power punches, very few kicks, elbows, knees and stands flatfooted.They are both grreat warriors, but not very technically sound.
crimethinc
2/1/07 2:54:34AM

Posted by slammadowg

I really dont think chuck is really one of the best strikers out there. i know im going to get flamed for this but really, he's very sloopy and misses a good percentage of his punches. Without his KO power i tihnk he would basically only have takedown defense, but of course this is not the case. I just think that to be a good striker you need to have good technique and i dont really see that in chuck. Also, this is not a case of me not liking chuck, i think hes a great fighter and all the power to him, but i jsut dont think he has what it takes to be up with the likes of Anderson or Mirko.

I agree with you all the way. He's definitely a powerful striker, but not the most accurate. I've had this discussion many times. He's explained his overhand right as just whipping it like a ball on a chain. I think Silva has the most impressive striking with his ability to use every weapon hands, feet, elbows, and especially knees.
ac_gi
2/1/07 2:55:18AM
Ok, we are doing Top 10's...

1. A. Silva
2. Cro-cop
3. Chuck
4. Gomi
5. Hunt
6. Wanderlei Silva
7.GSP
8. Aleksander Emelianenko
9. Buentello
10. Swick
10. David Loiseau
ac_gi
2/1/07 3:02:52AM

Posted by crimethinc

Posted by slammadowg

I agree with you all the way. He's definitely a powerful striker, but not the most accurate. I've had this discussion many times. He's explained his overhand right as just whipping it like a ball on a chain. I think Silva has the most impressive striking with his ability to use every weapon hands, feet, elbows, and especially knees.

I'll take the bait.

Chuck and Wandy styles may be sloppy to you, and their technique may not be perfect for you, but it works for them. The bottom line is they throw strikes and they land. I would get killed using Chuck's style. It works for him. To me, that is the definition of Mixed Martial Arts. Taking bits and pieces of different styles and adapt them to your body style and your abilities. If the thread was titled, "who is the best technical striker" then I would completely agree with you guys.

Ok, that was my 2 cents.
remy
2/1/07 3:06:19AM
igor vovchanchyn should also be in the top 10 list
ac_gi
2/1/07 3:11:02AM
I love Igor!
But he hasn't fought since 8/28/2005.
Svartorm
2/1/07 3:20:36AM
Hes one of my favorties as well. Come back Igor!
hippysmacker
2/1/07 3:25:50AM
I always wished he cut down to 185. He's so short, he always seemed to win on just power and guts. Can you imagine Igor vs a 185 lb. brawler like Leben? That would be awesome.
Svartorm
2/1/07 3:38:04AM
Honestly I don't think he could make that kind of cut. I'm practically the same size and build as Igor, and I have trouble getting below 205, which is what he was fighting at in his last fights. He wasn't defined at all, but I think he'd lose too much stamina dropping down another 20lbs.
hippysmacker
2/1/07 3:45:33AM
It's to bad. He was one of the pioneer's, especially for striker's.
amik
2/1/07 4:45:05AM
i REMEMBER ONE MAN CALLED PELE LANDIS...
Svartorm
2/1/07 4:48:36AM
HA! Just finished downloading a Pele highlight reel. Hes a great striker (and all around fighter).
amik
2/1/07 5:19:25AM

Posted by Svartorm

HA! Just finished downloading a Pele highlight reel. Hes a great striker (and all around fighter).

He's the fu**in' clown of the rings, jajajajajajajaja.

Great knees and elbows.
--Hinch--
2/1/07 5:24:22AM
I have to go with Melvin or The Snake went I think of the best striker in MMA.
hippysmacker
2/1/07 5:56:17AM

Posted by --Hinch--

Who is the snake?
--Hinch--
2/1/07 6:06:47AM

Posted by hippysmacker

Posted by --Hinch--

Who is the snake?

Diabete, who faced Shogun not too recently.
hippysmacker
2/1/07 6:14:12AM

Posted by --Hinch--

Posted by hippysmacker

Posted by --Hinch--

Who is the snake?

Diabete, who faced Shogun not too recently.

Ah , I think he should be a kickboxer or put on some weight. way to thin IMO. He did have skills though.
--Hinch--
2/1/07 7:25:08AM
He is a kickboxer, a very accomplished one. The weight issue I guess is up to him though. I'm not sure what weight class suits him, although I'm against cutting.
allevil86
2/1/07 3:09:55PM

Posted by ac_gi

I'll take the bait.

Chuck and Wandy styles may be sloppy to you, and their technique may not be perfect for you, but it works for them. The bottom line is they throw strikes and they land. I would get killed using Chuck's style. It works for him. To me, that is the definition of Mixed Martial Arts. Taking bits and pieces of different styles and adapt them to your body style and your abilities. If the thread was titled, "who is the best technical striker" then I would completely agree with you guys.

Ok, that was my 2 cents.

Damn good post
Pages: [1] 2 3