In my opinion, I'd love to see St. Pierre give Ricardo Almeida a try.. here's my reasons why:
- Alves, Fitch, and Koscheck are all decent opponents, but would probably all see the same result as the first time they fought GSP. Alves would be taken down and beaten on all night long again, Fitch would get pieced up on the feet, and Koscheck would probably get out-wrestled again.
- Paul Daley's fight style is very simular to Dan Hardy.. explosive striker? yes. ready to avoid the best takedown in the game? no.
- Paulo Thiago would be interesting, but would like to see another fight or two before getting a shot.
- Rumble Johnson needs to actually win a few fights and makes sure he can make weight, and maybe he'd have a chance, but not any time soon.
- Amir Sadollah has looked pretty impressive the last few fights, but he's got a long way to go.
- Kampmann, Saunders, Swick, etc. all need to head back to the drawing board first.
- Almeida has looked great since his return, with the exception of a close split decision loss against Patrick Cote. He's a great grappler, has fairly decent strikes, and a total beast on the ground. Once he adjusts at 170, he will become the most intriguing fight option for St. Pierre. I'd love to see GSP try to work his grappling against an experienced world class jiu-jitsu ace like Big Dog.