best option to fight against GSP @ 170?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » best option to fight against GSP @ 170?
POLL: best option to fight against GSP @ 170?
Jon Fitch 26% (10)
Thiago Alves 3% (1)
Paul Daley 8% (3)
Josh Koscheck 38% (15)
Ricardo Almeida 13% (5)
other 13% (5)
eyeforeigneye
3/28/10 3:07:37PM
In my opinion, I'd love to see St. Pierre give Ricardo Almeida a try.. here's my reasons why:
- Alves, Fitch, and Koscheck are all decent opponents, but would probably all see the same result as the first time they fought GSP. Alves would be taken down and beaten on all night long again, Fitch would get pieced up on the feet, and Koscheck would probably get out-wrestled again.
- Paul Daley's fight style is very simular to Dan Hardy.. explosive striker? yes. ready to avoid the best takedown in the game? no.
- Paulo Thiago would be interesting, but would like to see another fight or two before getting a shot.
- Rumble Johnson needs to actually win a few fights and makes sure he can make weight, and maybe he'd have a chance, but not any time soon.
- Amir Sadollah has looked pretty impressive the last few fights, but he's got a long way to go.
- Kampmann, Saunders, Swick, etc. all need to head back to the drawing board first.
- Almeida has looked great since his return, with the exception of a close split decision loss against Patrick Cote. He's a great grappler, has fairly decent strikes, and a total beast on the ground. Once he adjusts at 170, he will become the most intriguing fight option for St. Pierre. I'd love to see GSP try to work his grappling against an experienced world class jiu-jitsu ace like Big Dog.

sclasclemski
3/28/10 3:34:10PM
Probably gonna be the winner of koscheck/Daley....though I would love to see fitch vs Kos(regardless of friendships I think they should fight, same with ANderson and MAchida)...I know Dana says there are interesting fights left at this weight for GSP but really in my opinion Jake Shields is the only fight that interests me at all and thats only possible should he come over...Its time for the champs to move up...Bj, GSP, and Anderson...only I would like to see Anderson fight Sonnen and Belfort before he does...though I believe he will win....GSP against DAley...I agree gonna be a repeat of last night...GSP is just too good of a wrestler and is too strong for anyone to stop him at this weight. I say next fight let him test the waters at MW like Anderson did with LH and in the meantime make fitch coach vs Daley(assuming he beats Kos) on the next TUf and they can fight for #1...I think fitch is more deserving the Kos being 12-1 in the UFC...
seanfu
3/28/10 3:51:56PM
Koscheck Daley
DJBlankenship
3/28/10 6:26:19PM
Nate Diaz.. Decent standup, great off his back, and this is were the fight would take place.

Can't see his brother Nick fight GSP, so this is the next best thing.
prozacnation1978
3/28/10 6:57:28PM
Crazy we wait 9 months for gsp to defend if he. Is tuf coach it would be another 9
Months to fight again. Best time to test the waters at middleweight I say
Have him face a middle tier fighter like a alan belcher or maybe chael sonnen
Winner of grove vs munoz
Would be perfect for him right now if daley wins have him face fitch
Or kos face hardy or almeida
jae_1833
3/28/10 7:03:11PM
I think Paulo Thiago should take on one more contendar and then get a shot....he has been impressive in all but one fight (Fitch) and maybe that should be the deciding factor....have them rematch for a title shot....both have to be considered in front of Daley Kos! (kos loss to P. Thiago and Daley only 2 wins in UFC)
chickmagnet
3/28/10 7:20:37PM
If there is one guy who will be able to contend with St. Pierre's takedowns, its Kos. Kos has good stand up and great wrestling. Kos didnt expect George to take him down in the first fight, but If he trained for that I think he could give a great fight to GSP.
StorminYourman
3/28/10 7:58:08PM
I think the winner Hendnricks v Shields should get the title shot.If Shields goes to UFC after getting destroyed by Henderson this match would make sense.
tcunningham
3/28/10 8:17:15PM
id like to koscheck get a title shot. if he really trained like he should he could have a shot at the KO. he could probably defend the take down better. i would give fitch a shot too. fitch fights alot like couture, with a good clinch game. if he kept GSP in the clinch against the cage and forced him to fight his fight he could have a chance.
chickmagnet
3/29/10 12:09:23AM

Posted by StorminYourman

I think the winner Hendnricks v Shields should get the title shot.If Shields goes to UFC after getting destroyed by Henderson this match would make sense.

Hendricks??
State_Champ
3/29/10 12:46:00AM

Posted by chickmagnet

Posted by StorminYourman

Hendricks??

I can only assume this is a misspelling of "Hendrix" as in Jimi Hendrix.
Thus I can conclude that the rocker-ghost of Jimi Hendrix is going to duel Shields in a cage fight (if only in StorminYourman's mind).

I'll be picking Hendrix by way of face-shredding solo with some follow-up GnP guitar smashing.
I might pick Shields in this match if it was a living Hendrix, but ghost Hendrix should be nearly as untouchable as a pre-Shogun Machida....
lohmann
3/29/10 1:28:21AM
The two most interesting matchups for Georges St. Pierre at welterweight are both in Strikeforce right now.

While I don't think Nick Diaz or Jake Shields could put together a 4- or 5-fight win streak in the UFC, I think they both provide interesting foils to Georges St. Pierre's game, especially Nick Diaz.

Within the UFC? I'm a little interested in a Koscheck rematch. I think he's become a little more intelligent fighter than the last time out, and he's the last fighter that won a single round against GSP.
gartface
3/29/10 1:29:29AM

Posted by State_Champ

Posted by chickmagnet

Posted by StorminYourman

Hendricks??

I can only assume this is a misspelling of "Hendrix" as in Jimi Hendrix.
Thus I can conclude that the rocker-ghost of Jimi Hendrix is going to duel Shields in a cage fight (if only in StorminYourman's mind).

I'll be picking Hendrix by way of face-shredding solo with some follow-up GnP guitar smashing.
I might pick Shields in this match if it was a living Hendrix, but ghost Hendrix should be nearly as untouchable as a pre-Shogun Machida....

That's a lot of faith to have in Johny Hendricks after two UFC fights.

I'm going with Almeida. He looks great at 170, and his grappling is top notch.
Aether
3/29/10 9:02:01AM
Koscheck vs Daly, then reschedule Alves vs Fitch and have the winner take the next one.
emfleek
3/29/10 9:24:19AM
I don't even care anymore. I just want a shake up in the division. Move up to 185, Georges. PLEASE.
jgtribbett
3/29/10 10:35:29PM
fitch
BeeR
3/30/10 6:34:42AM
Paulo Thiago.
NatedawgThaM
3/30/10 5:10:04PM
I want to see GSP vs Kos 2 after Kos gets through Daley and Hardy. I believe he's the welterweight divisions last hope. The only guy who could maybe match GSP's athleticism. And in a pure wrestling match I got Kos, I think Kos was expecting too much of a stand up war the first time around and he was training mostly stand up for the past 2-3 years. I give Kos a better chance this time around. I think he could give GSP a fight, winning is a whole other thing though.
slapshot
3/30/10 6:12:27PM

Posted by lohmann

The two most interesting matchups for Georges St. Pierre at welterweight are both in Strikeforce right now.

While I don't think Nick Diaz or Jake Shields could put together a 4- or 5-fight win streak in the UFC, I think they both provide interesting foils to Georges St. Pierre's game, especially Nick Diaz.

Within the UFC? I'm a little interested in a Koscheck rematch. I think he's become a little more intelligent fighter than the last time out, and he's the last fighter that won a single round against GSP.

I know both Nick and Jake could very well put 4 or 5 fight win streak together but I do agree they are the two best match ups. Even though Ive herd some say Shield would be a better fight for GSP than Nick Diaz I disagree, his striking is much better than Shields and his fight style is much more problematic IMO.

I cant see any reason Nate and Nick should be compared so closely other than the obvious that they are brothers and they work out together and I really like Nate but his stand up TDD and grappling are quite a few steps behind Nicks (at least in the cage environment) and they do have different fight styles also wile Nate has a good chin Nicks is made of stone, IMO Shields is the next best thing to Nick and yeah we are putting the cart before the horse but I think we all know if he puts up a decent struggle against Dan then the UFC would be crazy to not pick him up.

That said they have to book who they have and who they think the fans will pay to see and that IMO is the winner of Koscheck Vs Daley.

I dont feel like ppl give Kos enough credit his stand up has really improved and I think he underestimated GSP's wrestling and just assumed he would be able to deal with it. If they do fight again, that wont be the case this time around and I think the fight should be much more competitive even though GSP should win.

Daley has some steam behind him and that always helps so assuming he beats Kos I dont see many other options. I truly feel that if Daley could keep it standing odds are he would beat GSP, he has one punch KO power in either hand is explosive and looks to finish. I just dont see how he can keep the fight standing and I dont see him getting back to his feet once he's down.