Best NBA Season in a While

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Best NBA Season in a While
Next Page »
gartface
2/2/12 8:32:45AM
I don't know if it's the fact that the Pacers are an outstanding team this year, that there are only 66 games, or the fact that the competitive balance seems to have found its way back into the game, but I'm absolutely digging the season that's going on right now.

Questions

How do you feel about this season?

How is your team doing?

Predictions for MVP?

Predictions for Rookie of the Year?

Predictions for the Finals?

Oh yeah, I forgot to say fuck David Stern.
Theoutlaw08
2/2/12 9:21:35AM
-I'm ok with the season so far. There seems to be better balance in the league.
-Bucks have won 6 of last 8 and two of those 6 wins are against the Heat.
-Kobe, Durant, Rose.
-RUBIO
-Bulls vs. Thunder
Budgellism
2/2/12 9:26:15AM
Let me start this off by saying the Clippers are the most exciting team to come along in a very long time.

My Raptors are shitting the bed like usual. I'm just hoping we end up being in the bottom three teams this season so we can get a good pick in the draft. There's a lot of talent coming in next year.

MVP is a tough one this year.

You've got Lebron who consistently scores 20-40 points a night. He's been awful in the 4th quarter though.

Chris Paul, who's been WAY better than I thought he would be. The combo of him and Griffin or him and DJ is so awesome and works very well together. He's also been a monster in the 4th quarter of games.

Kobe, who I would hate to see get it. He had that string of 4 40 point games in a row but his team is really stinking it up and he misses too many shots in my opinion.

Durant, who is just impossible to guard. He's the leader of the best team in the nba right now and he has a big part in that. He's another guy you can count on for 20-40 a night.

Rookie of the year is tough as well. Irving or Rubio. Irving is the better scorer but Rubio is much more well rounded. I want to say Irving will get it.

From the beginning I thought it would be The Heat vs. The Clippers in the finals. I don't think I still believe that. I'll go with The Heat vs. OKC. It's hard to stop OKC right now. They have a great team.
TeamDEY
2/2/12 9:35:03AM

Posted by gartface

I don't know if it's the fact that the Pacers are an outstanding team this year, that there are only 66 games, or the fact that the competitive balance seems to have found its way back into the game, but I'm absolutely digging the season that's going on right now.

Questions

How is your team doing?

Predictions for MVP?

I agree it has been a great season. I'm so glad there is a season.. I would have been pissed if there wasn't. I love the NBA and it has been very entertaining. Very pissed off about the Chris Paul trade though.

Lakers are doing fairly well. We would be killing if it was for David Stern. I agree he can go fuck himself.

Kobe or Lebron

Kyrie Irving Hands Down

I'll be going for the Lakers.. but I'm guessing Thunder vs Heat.
ChrisSabal
2/2/12 10:41:24AM

Posted by gartface

Questions

How is your team doing?

Predictions for MVP?

I like this NBA season a lot. The east is finally exciting to watch with the Bulls, Heat, Pacers, 76ers, Hawks and Magic(if they get out of their slump) all able to make a run for those top 2 seeds.

My team is the Chicago Bulls. They got killed by the 76ers last night and Rose choked against the Heat. They have lost to the Pacers(at home) and got dismantled by the Hawks earlier in the season. So it really isn't a good sign they are losing to the good teams chasing after them. But I will say it is still early in the season and I think the more this team plays together the better they will get. I also think the Heat game would have been a different story if we had Deng.

MVP predictions I think I have to go with Durant/Kobe. Sorry guys but I don't think LBJ should ever win MVP when he is on the Heat. MVP = Most Valuable Player to his team and that Heat team is still great without LeBron. But that is just me and my opinion. If he ever wins MVP while on the Heat someone had to be out for most of the season, someone got traded, or he has the best season ever in recent memory.

R.O.Y is very exciting this year. You have Kyrie Irving and Ricky Rubio who were always the front runners before the season started. But the season is early and I wouldn't be surprised if we saw someone drop off like Brandon Jennings did his rookie season. With that being said you also have Brandon Knight and MarShon Brooks ready to take the reigns if that does happen. But I do think that is unlikey to happen and I will have to say it will be a very tight race with Rubio and Kyrie but I think Rubio will take it as he is in a better situation with a better team.

I would love to say Bulls vs OKC. Since I would love to say it and the playoff picture isn't clear yet I am going to say it. Bulls vs Thunder in the Finals and the Bulls defense winning the championship against the Thunder. I would expect Westbrook making crucial mistakes down the stretch and possibly seeing him gone soon with the chemistry problems he is giving the team. Very inconsistent player and I wish he would come around because he can be very great.
BuffaloDave
2/2/12 11:10:16AM
Questions

I'm liking it, a few surpise teams doing well like the Sixers, and Indy. There is always a good match up every night with the shortened crammed schedule.

How is your team doing?

Well, being from Buffalo, I don't have a team to root for per say, I guess I should be a Clippers should be my team, since they came to L.A. from Buffalo.. jkjk

Predictions for MVP?

Bron or Kobe

Ruuuuuu Beee Ooooo Irving definitely is the better scorer, Rubio is the better all around player.

If the Lakers get some help at the point, and the Heat help at Center, then those two in the Finals.

Thunder and Bulls are likely to go deep as well.

kopower
2/2/12 1:09:56PM
Haven't watched too much, except for the T-Wolves, so my biased opinion for rookie of the year is Rubio. Its amazing how this guy can stuff a stat sheet. He isn't the greatest of scorers, but he rebounds his position nicely, gets a few steals a game, and of course the assists.
Budgellism
2/2/12 1:16:20PM

Posted by kopower

Haven't watched too much, except for the T-Wolves, so my biased opinion for rookie of the year is Rubio. Its amazing how this guy can stuff a stat sheet. He isn't the greatest of scorers, but he rebounds his position nicely, gets a few steals a game, and of course the assists.

T Wolves look good compared to how they usually look. Rubio might be able to make a big change for them. Kevin Love is the shit too. My personal favourite NBA player
cowcatcher
2/2/12 1:31:16PM

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by kopower

T Wolves look good compared to how they usually look. Rubio might be able to make a big change for them. Kevin Love is the shit too. My personal favourite NBA player

Who knew Love would be this kind of NBA player when he was in college? He not just a case of a guy that's on a bad team looking good either the guy is the real deal. Rubio is as advertised, maybe a little over hyped at this point, but it's just because everyone was so interested in seeing how he would perform in the NBA.

On to the Bucks...
Better than expected so far. Bogut going sown sucks but it's starting to look like he a guy that just gets bitten by the injury bug too often. Stephen Jackson is poison, everyone saw it coming, but the guy misses shootarounds, gets suspended by the team and league, and only flashes the scoring they wanted out of him when they got him on rare occasions. Still I like Jennings, Tobias Harris looks good when he's on the floor, and having UW grad Jon Leuer play well is making some of the locals that wrote off the NBA peek in and see how the Bucks are doing now and then.

Either way the NBA isn't the game I remember as a kid and I'm nowhere near the fan I once was and probably never will be again.
Budgellism
2/2/12 1:35:01PM

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by kopower

Who knew Love would be this kind of NBA player when he was in college? He not just a case of a guy that's on a bad team looking good either the guy is the real deal. Rubio is as advertised, maybe a little over hyped at this point, but it's just because everyone was so interested in seeing how he would perform in the NBA.

On to the Bucks...
Better than expected so far. Bogut going sown sucks but it's starting to look like he a guy that just gets bitten by the injury bug too often. Stephen Jackson is poison, everyone saw it coming, but the guy misses shootarounds, gets suspended by the team and league, and only flashes the scoring they wanted out of him when they got him on rare occasions. Still I like Jennings, Tobias Harris looks good when he's on the floor, and having UW grad Jon Leuer play well is making some of the locals that wrote off the NBA peek in and see how the Bucks are doing now and then.

Either way the NBA isn't the game I remember as a kid and I'm nowhere near the fan I once was and probably never will be again.

Stephen Jackson has pissed me off big time. He's on my basketball fantasy team unfortunately I'm praying they trade this guy before the deadline. He's not a good mix whatsoever with the Bucks. Bogut going down again is pretty rough. He's a great player when he actually plays. Jennings is progressing nicely as well. Harris is very hit and miss imo though.
kopower
2/2/12 1:49:04PM
Love has been a huge surprise. I really like his game.

I'm really impressed with Jennings. Thought he was gonna be a bust. Bogut has looked real good. He was another one of those guys I thought wasn't gonna work.
Bubbles
2/2/12 2:28:46PM
I am actually watching games again. Cant tell you why I fe-found my love of the game, but the previous 2-3 seasons i never payed much attention to the regular season after being a die-hard NBA fan. for the most part, I like what I see

How is your team doing?
Raptors suck, but thats a good thing. Hopefully we dont get shafted again like last years draft spot

being a Jason Kidd nuthugger, I cheer for any team he plays on until he retires. The Mavs are finally starting to play better but arent consistent enough atm to make waves. getting rid of Barea and bringing in VC was a huge mistake.

Predictions for MVP?
Andrea Bargnani
honestly though my pick is CP3. he takes a bottom feeder and has them contending for top spot in the West. Durant makes a strong case too. I would love to see Josh Smith get some consideration if the Hawks stay among the top 3 in the East

i agree with Rubio, but i have a feeling Irving will get the nod

Bulls over Mavs
I am only slightly biased towards the Mavs they are a veteran team who just won it last year. when it gets to crunch time, just watch Dirk take over yet again. Chicago finally has some other scoring options other than Rose, and if Boozer stays healthy along with Rip, they are my pick in the East

Oh yeah, I forgot to agree with: fuck David Stern.
Theoutlaw08
2/2/12 3:16:40PM

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by kopower

On to the Bucks...

NBA is nothing like when I was a kid. The passion and desire isn't there anymore.

On the Bucks as well......
It sucks Bogut is gone, but we knew it was coming, it might be time to cut times with him via trade or something.
You are correct, Jackson is complete poison to the team, he has a negative attitude. I heard a rumor that Diwght Howard wants to play with Jackson, so maybe we might be able to unload that stiff.
Jennings is playing his best pro ball yet, hes starting to find his shot and hes becoming more of a leader.
Erson, Delfion, Gooden, Dunleavy, Livingston are all solid. The team has a solid chemistry when Jackson is off the floor. Harris and Luer have been surprising rookies when they see the floor.
Our D is solid as ever.
Sanders should be sent to D league, he looks nervous out there and scared. I wouldnt be surprised to see the Bucks get anywhere from 6-8 seed in the playoffs.
Bubbles
2/2/12 3:22:41PM

Posted by Budgellism

Stephen Jackson has pissed me off big time. He's on my basketball fantasy team unfortunately I'm praying they trade this guy before the deadline. He's not a good mix whatsoever with the Bucks.

thats how I feel about Jason Richardson
Budgellism
2/2/12 4:37:06PM

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by Budgellism

Stephen Jackson has pissed me off big time. He's on my basketball fantasy team unfortunately I'm praying they trade this guy before the deadline. He's not a good mix whatsoever with the Bucks.

thats how I feel about Jason Richardson

Lol, completely understandable. He's been pretty awful since he was traded from the Suns.
prophecy033
2/2/12 6:41:41PM

Posted by gartface

Questions

How is your team doing?

Predictions for MVP?

1. Sloppy ball being played so far
2. Portland- 13-9 overall 10-1 home 3-8 road
3. Kevin Durant
4. Ricky Rubio
5. OKC vs Chicago
gartface
2/3/12 8:38:53AM
I guess I forgot to add my own...haha.

Questions

I'm loving it. I don't know if it's the fact that the Pacers are doing so well, or that the competitive balance seems to be creeping back into the game, but I am really enjoying the season.

How is your team doing?

The Pacers are playing the best ball I've seen from them since 2003 before the Malice at the Palace. The balance of this year's team has been tremendous. In the past few years, if Danny Granger was unable to get it going and score 24+ a night, we struggled big time. Now that we have guys like West, Hill(though he's out), and Paul George, we can really afford for Danny to miss a few shots. The heart from the guys this year has been amazing as well.

Kevin Love can kiss my ass. The Pacers are a tough team, but they aren't out there acting like tough guys. Maybe you should just man the up.

Predictions for MVP?

I don't see why Derrick Rose doesn't repeat this. He's got his team playing better than any other in the NBA, and I'd say he has far less to work with than LeBron, Durant/Westbrook, and even CP3 to an extent.

Kyrie Irving may get the nod due to points per game, but to me there's no doubt that Rubio is THE key in the Timberwolves turnaround. That's not to say that he's the most important player on the team, but last year they were probably two pieces away from being a playoff team - a good point guard and a good center.

Enter my compatriot, Ricky Rubio. He's helped in so many ways, including scoring distribution, the development of Anthony Randolph, and just the overall quality of play by this team. Kevin Love is without a doubt their best player and their most important player, but Rubio got them one step closer to a playoff birth by coming over this year. All they're missing now is a quality center, which is probably the hardest thing to find in the NBA these days.

Thunder vs. Heat is my pick. The Thunder were a little too green last year in the playoffs, and even to an extent, so were the Heat, at least in the sense of chemistry. In my opinion, the Bulls match up badly with the Heat, and it will probably show in the Eastern Conference Finals. LeBron or Wade should be able to guard Derrick Rose, and no one on the Bulls can stop the big three.

As for the Thunder, Durant is probably the best scorer in the world, and he's pretty unstoppable. If, and it's a big if, they can keep Westbrook from derailing himself, I think they could make this into a seven game series.

Overall I think that the Heat are too much for anyone this year. The way they've played together, and through injury has been nothing short of impressive to me.

cowcatcher
2/3/12 11:29:12AM

Posted by gartface

As for the Thunder, Durant is probably the best scorer in the world, and he's pretty unstoppable. If, and it's a big if, they can keep Westbrook from derailing himself, I think they could make this into a seven game series.

I don't know how long the Thunder are going to be able to keep Durant and Westbrook and I think Westbrook has to be the odd man out of that twosome. I don't get to see a ton of the Thunder but Westbrook looks like a "me me me" guy to me and that doesn't bode well when the best scrorer in the games is on the same team. They've already clashed a little this year and I think ultimately that tension is what keeps them from getting to the finals much less winning a championship. It doesn't help Westbrook look any better that Durant seems to be a really classy, good guy.
Budgellism
2/3/12 12:02:38PM

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by gartface

I don't know how long the Thunder are going to be able to keep Durant and Westbrook and I think Westbrook has to be the odd man out of that twosome. I don't get to see a ton of the Thunder but Westbrook looks like a "me me me" guy to me and that doesn't bode well when the best scrorer in the games is on the same team. They've already clashed a little this year and I think ultimately that tension is what keeps them from getting to the finals much less winning a championship. It doesn't help Westbrook look any better that Durant seems to be a really classy, good guy.

I agree with that for sure. Westbrook is his own worst enemy on a team that could be the best. He takes (and misses) too many shots and doesn't set up his teammates as much as he should. Look at the best point guards of all time. They didn't care so much about scoring as making everyone else on their team better. I'd like to see more assists out of him.

With all that said he's clearly very talented though. He may be selfish but he can score 30+ on an given night .
kopower
2/3/12 12:53:52PM
Gartface- Pacers have a nice squad. A great 1-2 punch with George, Granger, and even West. Hibbard isn't to bad either. He brings some decent D around the rim.

Btw, West can get pretty chippy out there. Love is a bit of a complainer, but it pissed Granger off enough to get fired up, and bury the Wolves.
Budgellism
2/4/12 12:55:24AM
Biggest Surprise - The Denver Nuggets
BuffaloDave
2/4/12 1:09:10PM

Posted by Budgellism

I think that still goes to the Sixers, Denver has been pretty good for awhile, I was surprised that they would still be as good as they are, with losing Smith, Chandler, and K-Mart. They still have a solid core though, with the current roster, that's why I think the Sixers are the bigger surprise.
Budgellism
2/5/12 3:12:13AM
Tony Parker scores 42 points? Craziness!
Budgellism
2/5/12 3:13:23AM

Posted by BuffaloDave

Posted by Budgellism

I think that still goes to the Sixers, Denver has been pretty good for awhile, I was surprised that they would still be as good as they are, with losing Smith, Chandler, and K-Mart. They still have a solid core though, with the current roster, that's why I think the Sixers are the bigger surprise.

Sixers would have been my 2nd choice for sure. They're killing it this season with no real stars.
Bubbles
2/5/12 1:44:21PM

Posted by Budgellism

and he rode the bench on one of my teams didnt edit any of my rosters yesterday, and that cost me a couple wins in all 4 of my teams
Budgellism
2/5/12 2:28:09PM

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by Budgellism

and he rode the bench on one of my teams didnt edit any of my rosters yesterday, and that cost me a couple wins in all 4 of my teams

Ouch. He filled up the stat sheet last night. I've got him in Malaussie's thing

And I managed to grab Marcus Thortan for Linas Kleiza
Budgellism
2/6/12 7:39:25PM
Raptors letting the Wizards shoot 65% and shooting 30% themselves after the 1st quarter

I want them to lose and get a good pick but that's just awful.
Budgellism
2/6/12 8:13:41PM
That Kevin Love 2 game suspension is garbage.
Bubbles
2/7/12 12:03:31AM

Posted by Budgellism

Raptors letting the Wizards shoot 65% and shooting 30% themselves after the 1st quarter

I want them to lose and get a good pick but that's just awful.

way to jump the gun

i was surprised with the way they played vs the Heat the other night (minus the 5 min stretch in the 3rd where they didnt get a field goal)...and Derozan actually looked like he could play some ball.
Budgellism
2/7/12 12:16:55PM
It's the wizards, I'm not surprised they made a comeback. I'm glad they kept it close and still lost. 5th worst in the league right now. I'm hoping for at least bottom 3. We need a ton of help from the draft.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7