Best Muay Thai fighter ever?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Best Muay Thai fighter ever?
fedorwins1
10/24/07 7:44:26PM
Who do you think is the best EVER?

I can think of Ramon Dekkers, Rob Kaman, Kiatsongrit, and Buakaw as some great fighters, but who do you consider the best ever?

Rob KamanHL

Ramon Dekkers HL

Kiatsongrit HL

Buakaw HL
cmill21
10/24/07 7:49:55PM
Mr. Hoost and Ivan were pretty good.
fedorwins1
10/24/07 7:57:39PM
I've seen this guy's name floating around a bitPayakaroon
adamant
10/24/07 8:28:39PM
dekkers. i think of him as an icon in muay thai.
jiujitsufreak74
10/24/07 8:53:07PM
Buakaw hands down imo...
natedogstyles
10/24/07 9:02:04PM
A lot of people say Dekkers was very vulnerable to counter punching.
www.theathletesite.com
Mastodon2
10/25/07 6:52:13AM
Always a controversial topic, but Dekkers and Kamen arent in the running. Sure they both won a lot of fights and held some titles, but there are stronger and faster guys out there than they were.

Apidej Sit Hrun - had a squillion fights, named Nak Muay of the century by the King of Thailand. Quite and honor.

Buakaw Por Pramuk - very good, got a bit cocky in this years K-1 MAX GP and lost in the quarter finals to Masato. When he is on form he is amazing, and he cant even use all of his weapons in K-1. Even when he is off his game, if he fought any of the other MAX competitors under proper Muay Thai rules he would demolish all of them. He is just too fast, to slick and too powerful.

Yodsaenklai Fairtex - Better than Buakaw imo. Possible the p4p strongest kick in the world. If this guy was Cro Cop or Peter Aert's size his kick strength would be phenomenal. Not only is he amazingly powerful, he is incredibly quick, his cardio is ace and his game overall is just incredible. A real idol to me. omg the power!

Saenchai Sor Kingstar - perhaps even better than Yodsaenklai...very controversial though. Not as powerful, but perhaps a little more technical. His Wai Kru Ram Mauy is beautiful too.

Sorry bout the quality in places, but this is an ace vid

For the record Peter Aerts is better than Hoost. So Hoost has 4 GPs and Aerts only (only?!) has 3, Peter could well win another one this year, and Hoost's final GP win was a total gift. Not to diss Hoost, but he lost in the qualifiers, lost in the quarter final and still got put through. Aerts is imo the stronger fighter.

Muay Thai is the boy though, it crushes other striking arts, and with good reason. No other striking system is as complete as Muay Thai, no training is more intense than Muay Thai training.

Muay Thai for life!
cmill21
10/25/07 2:25:41PM
I wasn't saying hoost was the best of all time, he's one of the best IMO though. He was awsome for his whole career(pretty long one). I think Ivan is great as well. It's hard to classify someone who is fighting in K-1 as the best Muay Tai fighter ever since they can't use all of their strikes as Mastadon stated. I would like to see K-1 have some shows or an off shute with full tai rules. I would love to see some of the guys utilize all of their tools. Best K-1 fighter of all time, my vote automatically goes to Andy Hug for his kicks, punches and of course the man fought and won just over a month before he passed.
thepunisher
10/25/07 2:50:04PM
I would have to say the greatest Muay Thai fighter ever was the Ong Bak guy I think he name is Tony Jaa
Mastodon2
10/25/07 3:36:54PM

Posted by cmill21

I wasn't saying hoost was the best of all time, he's one of the best IMO though. He was awsome for his whole career(pretty long one). I think Ivan is great as well. It's hard to classify someone who is fighting in K-1 as the best Muay Tai fighter ever since they can't use all of their strikes as Mastadon stated. I would like to see K-1 have some shows or an off shute with full tai rules. I would love to see some of the guys utilize all of their tools. Best K-1 fighter of all time, my vote automatically goes to Andy Hug for his kicks, punches and of course the man fought and won just over a month before he passed.

I thought you would have voted for Cro Cop! And I'm not joking, he was much better than Hug, sure Hug had a GP win, but GPs arent everything. Le Banner doesn't have one, but he beat Hunt 3 times, beat Hoost and KTFO'd Aerts. Hug was inspirational, but people give him more credit than I think he is worth. Aesthetically, his kicks looked good, but just like Feitosa's they wernt all that powerful. Sure Hug had some wins over good names, but they were decisions, mainly won out by Hug's evasive way of fighting. His arsenal was let down by poor punching skills and relatively weak kicks. His axe kick was good, but the top guys just evaded it, and aside from that he didn't have anything espescially powerful. Inspirational yes, but in no way was he the best of K-1.

As for Tony Jaa, he is amazing. A fantastic show of Muay Boran and Muay Thai. I consider myself very lucky to learn Muay Boran techniques along with ring Muay Thai. Jaa's gymnastic ability is just out of this world.

One of my mates, who knows pretty much nothing about Muay Thai or Martial arts in general, asked me about Jaa, it went down something like this;

(Paul) "Hey Dave, you do Muay Thai, like in Ong Bak right?"
(Me) "Yeah"
(Paul) "Can you do the moves that Jaa does in that film?"
(Me) "The techniques, flying knees and elbows, spinning kicks and what not, yeah I can"
(Paul) "Can you fly around like he does?"
(Me)"No."

Jujiden
10/25/07 6:03:12PM
Definitely Buakaw. The guy's an action figure. Tony Jaa's Muay Boran is the best EVA (my best Baroni impersonation). Even though he's a film star you know he can still throw down.
kofranklin
10/25/07 9:30:47PM
I have to go with Buakaw or Dekkers.
cmill21
10/25/07 11:22:44PM

Posted by Mastodon2

Posted by cmill21

I thought you would have voted for Cro Cop! And I'm not joking, he was much better than Hug, sure Hug had a GP win, but GPs arent everything. Le Banner doesn't have one, but he beat Hunt 3 times, beat Hoost and KTFO'd Aerts. Hug was inspirational, but people give him more credit than I think he is worth. Aesthetically, his kicks looked good, but just like Feitosa's they wernt all that powerful. Sure Hug had some wins over good names, but they were decisions, mainly won out by Hug's evasive way of fighting. His arsenal was let down by poor punching skills and relatively weak kicks. His axe kick was good, but the top guys just evaded it, and aside from that he didn't have anything espescially powerful. Inspirational yes, but in no way was he the best of K-1.

As for Tony Jaa, he is amazing. A fantastic show of Muay Boran and Muay Thai. I consider myself very lucky to learn Muay Boran techniques along with ring Muay Thai. Jaa's gymnastic ability is just out of this world.

One of my mates, who knows pretty much nothing about Muay Thai or Martial arts in general, asked me about Jaa, it went down something like this;

(Paul) "Hey Dave, you do Muay Thai, like in Ong Bak right?"
(Me) "Yeah"
(Paul) "Can you do the moves that Jaa does in that film?"
(Me) "The techniques, flying knees and elbows, spinning kicks and what not, yeah I can"
(Paul) "Can you fly around like he does?"
(Me)"No."

Lol I have to disagree with you a bit. I've seen him hit Hoost, Cro Cop(couple times) and a few others with his axe kick's, which(since you practice kickboxing) you know hurt alot even if there's not a ton of force. I disagree about his punching skills, I feel there good, you don't get to K-1 with poor punching when your his size(under 6 feet in the HW div). Also I feel his evasive style would have led to a longer career(had he not passed) and it is probably one of the best techniques in fighting. Some people like grappling and BJJ, I like evasive striking(Machida, Cro Cop, Hug, ect.). Obviously alot of kickboxing is getting into position to land the shots you want, which I feel alot of mma only watchers don't care for. I respect your opinion, and I could make an argument for a ton of K-1 stars for who is the BOAT. Oh Hug has like 20+ ko's so I think he's got a bit of power