Best way to off the mount

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Best way to off the mount
mmamax
8/2/07 12:07:19PM
Since the mount is one of the most dominat possitions in both MMA & Grappling I've given this a bit of a though.

Which is the best way to get of the mount.???

I've tried several techniques However there is one that, when performed quickly works like a charm.

When you find yourself mounted the very first thing, I think, you should do is to block initial blows then grab your oponents upper body (as low as you can) to close the distance. The closer he his the less power his punches will have. then quckily use your legs to lift him enough to sneak one of your arms under his legs. Then lock you hands together . Push him to the side and slip to the opposite side. From here you should have a good position to take him off balance and slip out betwen his legs.This has to be done really fast is a very risky move and if he can anticipate your move he might be able set up a triangle choke, or an armbar.

I've tried it several times and I would say it has a 80% effectiveness. meaning out of 10 times i've done it works 8
good enough for me

==========================================================================================================================
www.mmazonepr.com

Aether
8/2/07 12:32:38PM
well a good sweep of any kind is the best way to reverse a mount, which is essentially what you're describing, the problem is it's not just that easy to sweep a fighter who really knows how to control their own bodyweight for maximum balance. A good fighter if he feels you trying to put your hand under his leg will just shift his weight, pin your arm, posture up and beat you senseless. Personally I think leg sweeps are the best option, it's pretty difficult to execute a sweep against any good fighter but leg sweeps minimize your risk of opening yourself up to punishment. You can use your arms to keep the upper body in tight and are free to take your time to use your legs. Just bucking them off is also a good option but again it does open you up to more punishment if it fails, and unless you can really buck with some serious force most good fighters will be able to keep their balance.
wilwith1l
8/2/07 1:05:59PM
trap & roll
the-james
8/2/07 1:19:30PM
Elbow escape or scramble back to guard or even half guard and work on a sweep from there, its much easier to avoid punishment and wexecute a sweep from the guard position.
CwB
8/2/07 1:42:39PM
shouldnt this topic and mmamax's other training topics be in the training forums and not the lounge
loonytnt
8/2/07 6:05:08PM
trap the guys left or right arm by over hookin it ,trap his foot with your foot (same side as the are you got) now he has no posts on one side roll him to that side

best way to get out of mount is not to get in it works 100% of the time
bayonetxwork
8/2/07 7:29:13PM
trap and roll, or buck and hook.
jomatty
8/5/07 8:44:29AM
try to sweep and then to buck and if that fails you are in trouble. at that point give up your back and hope to get a scramble. try to get in a position where he tries to choke and cant/doesnt pound on your ears. defending the choke is not too bad with gloves on, but getting punched in the ear and side of the head sucks. not a great option but sometimes its better than having him posture up and beat you senseless.

this post will likely get flamed and quite possibly deservedly so, because i am very new to any kind of training and as such am not that knowledgeable.
johny_rotten
8/5/07 1:28:30PM

Posted by mmamax

Since the mount is one of the most dominat possitions in both MMA & Grappling I've given this a bit of a though.

Which is the best way to get of the mount.???

I've tried several techniques However there is one that, when performed quickly works like a charm.

When you find yourself mounted the very first thing, I think, you should do is to block initial blows then grab your oponents upper body (as low as you can) to close the distance. The closer he his the less power his punches will have. then quckily use your legs to lift him enough to sneak one of your arms under his legs. Then lock you hands together . Push him to the side and slip to the opposite side. From here you should have a good position to take him off balance and slip out betwen his legs.This has to be done really fast is a very risky move and if he can anticipate your move he might be able set up a triangle choke, or an armbar.

I've tried it several times and I would say it has a 80% effectiveness. meaning out of 10 times i've done it works 8
good enough for me

==========================================================================================================================
www.mmazonepr.com

This is my least favorite escape. Mainly because last time I did it I was put in a sick triangle. There are so many ways to escape a mount. I know it is where you can deliver the most damage, but I would much rather be in side control.
Rush
8/6/07 6:59:35PM
The Upa always works for me.
Svartorm
8/6/07 10:05:40PM

Posted by mmamax

I'm having a hard time imagining this. How do you keep an arm around someones upper body and link it with an arm under his leg? It seems to me you'd either have to have super long arms or be in a very small weight class. Does it have a name so I can look it up and get a better idea of how it works?
Svartorm
8/6/07 10:15:30PM

Posted by loonytnt

trap the guys left or right arm by over hookin it ,trap his foot with your foot (same side as the are you got) now he has no posts on one side roll him to that side

This is my go-to mount escape, but I perfer to knock the elbow to the other side of my head (and get them in a loose arm triangle if possible) and then lift the hips up. It takes that arm completely out of the equation that way, unlike an overhook which still allows you to post your elbow. Also, I find it works better to buck your hips upwards, rather than roll. The positioning of their own body will cause them to topple and you have more power pressing straight up with the hips than you have rolling.

Heres one my older brother and I ran into on a White Tiger Kempo video (the stuff Keith Hackney does). It does work, and actually tends to work better on larger guys, but it must be done fast for an element of suprise or you're setting yourself up for an armbar.

You drive an elbow into the midsection (or groin if its street we're talking about), thrust your free hand into the armpit and then the palm of your striking arm under the jaw or opposite armpit. Then buck your hips violently and roll while pushing them to the side, all in one motion. At the least, you should have enough space to shrimp out the side. At best you can toss the guy well off your body and stand up or scramble, whatever you prefer.
johny_rotten
8/7/07 12:59:16AM

Posted by Svartorm

Posted by mmamax

I'm having a hard time imagining this. How do you keep an arm around someones upper body and link it with an arm under his leg? It seems to me you'd either have to have super long arms or be in a very small weight class. Does it have a name so I can look it up and get a better idea of how it works?

This escape is used for a high mount only. The arm placement can be used for anyone. You basicly put one arm around his waist reaching to the opposite side. Locking your hands isn't crucial as long as you can generate enough force from lifting under his leg, and bucking. You have to be careful not to get either arm tangled on the escape because if you don't both get both arms to the inside it is a very easy triangle for your opponent.
Svartorm
8/7/07 11:11:05PM
Ok, when he said upper body, I assumed he meant chest area, and couldn't figure out how that would work. Thanks.