Who has the best mma record?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Who has the best mma record?
Violence108
11/20/07 4:13:18PM
well you have Fedor with 27-1 but there is Sean Sherk with 31-2 not a bad record , then Matt Hughes with 43-5, Rich Franklin with 22-3, and Jeremy Horn with 79-16. any thoughts on who has the best mma record
grappler0000
11/20/07 4:30:04PM
Well, last week the answer would have been Jason Reinhardt
jiujitsufreak74
11/20/07 4:33:13PM
statistically, filho now has the best record i believe. but, in terms of who is on that record and the weight of the opponents, im gonna have to go with fedor no doubt. if you have wins over mirko, hunt, coleman, TK, big nog (multiple times), and randleman you definitely have the best record in mma since most of his victories came over opponents in their prime. he took down big nog when he was said to be unbeatable, defeated a hot mirko, and beat randleman when he was among the best in the world. now say what you will about him now with his move to M-1 and all...but as of now he has the best record, especially since his only loss, which he avenged dominantly, was from an illegal elbow that caused a cut over his eye. since a winner had to be called because it was a tourny, fedor had to be declared the loser because he could not continue. with that in mind, he has beaten every opponent he has faced and has wins over the top fighters on the world.
nickcuc547
11/20/07 4:43:06PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

statistically, filho now has the best record i believe. but, in terms of who is on that record and the weight of the opponents, im gonna have to go with fedor no doubt. if you have wins over mirko, hunt, coleman, TK, big nog (multiple times), and randleman you definitely have the best record in mma since most of his victories came over opponents in their prime. he took down big nog when he was said to be unbeatable, defeated a hot mirko, and beat randleman when he was among the best in the world. now say what you will about him now with his move to M-1 and all...but as of now he has the best record, especially since his only loss, which he avenged dominantly, was from an illegal elbow that caused a cut over his eye. since a winner had to be called because it was a tourny, fedor had to be declared the loser because he could not continue. with that in mind, he has beaten every opponent he has faced and has wins over the top fighters on the world.

agreed fedor's is definatlely the most impressive because of quality of opponent.
Jackelope
11/20/07 4:51:03PM

You're gonna catch hell for saying that. But I DO agree. Many others will hate on Fedor and your belief that he has the best.

I do think the TS mentioned some good names, though. Matt Hughes stands out as a great record, personally.

He doesn't have the best win percentage, but if you take a look at Babalu's record and see the caliber of fighters he has fought, he's got an impressive resume. He's spanned many different weight classes and fought some of the toughest in the world. Not saying he'd be anywhere near the top on the list, but he definitely has an impressive amount of fights against impressive fighters.
jocksmall
11/20/07 5:12:25PM

Posted by Violence108

well you have Fedor with 27-1 but there is Sean Sherk with 31-2 not a bad record , then Matt Hughes with 43-5, Rich Franklin with 22-3, and Jeremy Horn with 79-16. any thoughts on who has the best mma record

no offense but a silly question fedor obviously has the best record
jiujitsufreak74
11/20/07 5:17:13PM
i don;t see why any one would give me sh*t for picking fedor. he is the obvious choice for the reasons i listed above and even with all of this recent mess he still has the best record in mma, in terms of how strong it is, again filho has it statistically, but imo fedor takes it hands down. i can't see how any one can refute what he has accomplished.
Mastodon2
11/20/07 5:24:57PM
Fedor. Wrecking top competition and only ever being stopped by an illegal strike. Then getting a shot at revenge against Koshaka and then pounding him so bad the docs wouldnt let TK go back out into the secod round!
ncordless
11/20/07 5:27:28PM
Well Travis Fulton has the most wins... 181 and counting to be exact.

Rickson Gracie was supposedly 400-0, but that's pretty widely known as folklore. His official record is 11-0.

Currently, Paulo Filho is either 15-0 or 16-0 depending on where you look. Some other undefeated fighters are:

Gilbert Melendez 13-0
Thiago Silva 12-0
Rashad Evans 11-0-1
Lyoto Machida 11-0
Chris Horodecki 11-0
Jake O'Brien 10-0
Wander Braga 10-0
Manny Tapia 9-0
Frank Edgar 8-0

As far as impressive resume... Fedor, and to as lesser extent Hughes come to mind. Big Nog's record of 30-4-1 with the losses being to Fedor, Barnett(which he avenged), and Dan Henderson(in the '99 King of Kings tourney... one of the most insane tourneys ever... Tamura, Hendo, both Overeems, Babalu, Renzo Gracie, Gilbert Yvel, Dave Menne, and Maurice Smith all were in it! And which he also avenged) gives him the most difficult record, IMO.
szucconi
11/20/07 5:53:01PM

Posted by ncordless

Well Travis Fulton has the most wins... 181 and counting to be exact.

Rickson Gracie was supposedly 400-0, but that's pretty widely known as folklore. His official record is 11-0.

Currently, Paulo Filho is either 15-0 or 16-0 depending on where you look. Some other undefeated fighters are:

Gilbert Melendez 13-0
Thiago Silva 12-0
Rashad Evans 11-0-1
Lyoto Machida 11-0
Chris Horodecki 11-0
Jake O'Brien 10-0
Wander Braga 10-0
Manny Tapia 9-0
Frank Edgar 8-0

As far as impressive resume... Fedor, and to as lesser extent Hughes come to mind. Big Nog's record of 30-4-1 with the losses being to Fedor, Barnett(which he avenged), and Dan Henderson(in the '99 King of Kings tourney... one of the most insane tourneys ever... Tamura, Hendo, both Overeems, Babalu, Renzo Gracie, Gilbert Yvel, Dave Menne, and Maurice Smith all were in it! And which he also avenged) gives him the most difficult record, IMO.

Although I am not a huge Fedor fan (I am a fan, I am just small), it has to be Fedor. He has a high number of quality wins and his loss should have been a DQ win for him or at least a NC. An argument could be made that his is undefeated. #1 in the world in another story because he hasn’t fought any great competition recently, but best record, yes.

As a side note, when Manny Tapia comes back from his injury and gets his title shot it will be a war. I am pumped about it. I can't wait. 135 might be the greatest div to watch. By the time Tapia gets back Miguel Torres might have the belt, but I certainly don't want to count out Chase Beebe. Sorry to get off topic, but I am VERY EXCITED.
Jackelope
11/20/07 6:08:47PM

i don;t see why any one would give me sh*t for picking fedor. he is the obvious choice for the reasons i listed above and even with all of this recent mess he still has the best record in mma, in terms of how strong it is, again filho has it statistically, but imo fedor takes it hands down. i can't see how any one can refute what he has accomplished.

Dude, you'd be surprised. Call them trolls, call them whatever, but Fedor's haters are out there in abundance. If these same people can come up with "Fedor is afraid to fight so and so" then you know they can come up with a way in their silly little minds to think his records doesn't mean squat.

Anyway, no argument from me- I love watching Fedor fight and am always impressed.
low-blow
11/20/07 6:09:04PM

I would have to agree filho has the best statistical record, but using the same logic as you did to say Fedor has the best record, alot of fighters would have a much better record than him, matt hughes, and Machida have beat more top ten fighters than Fedor, Fedor has beat a couple good fighters but alot of his fights are against loosers. I get sick of hearing how great Fedor is so I may be biased.
low-blow
11/20/07 6:18:25PM

Posted by Jackelope

Dude, you'd be surprised. Call them trolls, call them whatever, but Fedor's haters are out there in abundance. If these same people can come up with "Fedor is afraid to fight so and so" then you know they can come up with a way in their silly little minds to think his records doesn't mean squat.

Anyway, no argument from me- I love watching Fedor fight and am always impressed.

I probably am a troll than, he is good but way overrated, I'm glad your always impressed but I don't think #1 rated heavies should fight middle weights, and guys with only one fight on there record. I don't know how much longer Fedor lovers will "come up with a way in their silly little minds" to continue to ride his jock.
jiujitsufreak74
11/20/07 6:26:57PM

Posted by low-blow

I would have to agree filho has the best statistical record, but using the same logic as you did to say Fedor has the best record, alot of fighters would have a much better record than him, matt hughes, and Machida have beat more top ten fighters than Fedor, Fedor has beat a couple good fighters but alot of his fights are against loosers. I get sick of hearing how great Fedor is so I may be biased.

machida definitely has not fought the calibur guys fedor has. don't get me wrong, i am not a fedor fan, but to say machida has more quality wins is insane. same goes for hughes. look at who fedor has beat. losers? are you serious? there is no way your serioius because big nog, who most people are starting to see as the #1 HW again has two losses to him when he was seen as unstoppable. TK was a repected fighter as was randleman along with mirko and hunt. to say mirko is a loser is rediculous if you have followed him through his career. hughes has an impressive record, but overall does not have the quality wins that fedor has in his career. remember, fedor was dominat in PRIDE back when PRIDE was better than UFC when matt hughes was winning so it is easily said that fedor ahs the best record IMO. forget all of this recent BS and look at what the man has done in his entire career. if you do that then it is clear that he is on top.
Scott_Revels
11/20/07 6:29:01PM
I know there are some guys out there with excellent records that include losses. I don't deny that.. I just think though that the better fighters are ones who keep their undefeated records long into their time in a big organization like the UFC, Pride, WEC, IFL, Strikeforce, and EliteXC. These orgs have the top guys, and therefore your not taking on guys who are going to lose easily. Jason Reinhardt thought that he was great because he had like a 25-0 record. Problem is, he hadn't faced anyone of real experience yet. Soon as "Creepy" Joe got his hands on Reinhardt, it was sayonara undefeated record. I had hoped Tamdan would keep his intact. UFC 78 was a sad day for the Undefeated.
sleevey
11/20/07 9:15:42PM
Read the post I made a few month's back and judges for yourself .

Fedor is the manBest fight record

Fedor really is the man!!!!!
hammerhead1
11/20/07 10:27:16PM
Jake O'Brien,Gilbert M,Thiago Silva
Manfred
11/20/07 10:48:24PM

Posted by sleevey

Read the post I made a few month's back and judges for yourself .

Fedor is the manBest fight record

Fedor really is the man!!!!!

QFT Props to you for typing and researching that all out.

But I agree with some of you that he needs to continue fighting top competition in order to stay #1

And the Lindland argument doesn't fly here. He was supposed to fight Monson (it was shortly after Tim/Monson) but the deal fell through. Lindland weighed in at 15 lbs under Fedor. Not that much considering Matt's Greco skills. Fedor fights at most LHWs walk-around weight, 230.
HulkRage
11/20/07 11:13:51PM
I would say Travis Fulton. ( 181-43-9 )!
could any other fighter hang with that record if they fight that much? I don't think so. Can any other fighter say they have submitted 119 guys.?
Not to mention his pro boxing / kickboxing careers.
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
Mayhem13
11/20/07 11:33:34PM

I think that Sherks record is equally impressive as Fedors, he has fought all the big names at LW almost, and Fedor has fought all the big names at HW almost..

and people are leaving out Shogun ...who I think has a really good record as well...despite a freak accident and an unprepared gas tank loss
Pitbull09
11/21/07 12:57:28AM
Diego Sanchez use to have the most imrpessive record in my eyes. But now with two loses hes not even close. I would say Fedor. He may be fighting low competition now, but hes gone against the best heavyweights and only has one loss (the loss was from cut stoppage to an illegal elbow i think which makes no sense)
Pitbull09
11/21/07 1:00:20AM

Posted by Mayhem13

I think that Sherks record is equally impressive as Fedors, he has fought all the big names at LW almost, and Fedor has fought all the big names at HW almost..

and people are leaving out Shogun ...who I think has a really good record as well...despite a freak accident and an unprepared gas tank loss

I think as a Lightweight, Sherk will be known as one of or the best fighter for the divison. His only two loses are to Matt Hughes and St Pierre in the welterweight division and there is a pretty bad height difference with those guys (especially peirre.) Wait til Sherk retires and Im sure his record will be impressive
Jackelope
11/21/07 1:24:17AM

Posted by low-blow

Posted by Jackelope

I probably am a troll than, he is good but way overrated, I'm glad your always impressed but I don't think #1 rated heavies should fight middle weights, and guys with only one fight on there record. I don't know how much longer Fedor lovers will "come up with a way in their silly little minds" to continue to ride his jock.

You're entitled to your opinion, for sure.

BUT- Point proven? jiujitsu freak.. .see what I mean? haha
cmill21
11/21/07 1:45:42AM
I love peoples arguments against Fedor, he fought a MW, ummm Cro Cop's doing bad right now...ummm that means what? Cro Cop was at the tip top of his game at the time, annnd when two talented guys meet and they're withing the same weight class are they not? I bet no one has ever lost to anyone who was in a lower weight class right? Ask Minowa and Butter Bean, 200lb difference, still lost in the first round...
NatedawgThaM
11/21/07 2:07:27AM
Thiago Silva (12-0-0) I believe counting the win over Houston. I believe he's the future. I think he could easily win a few more. He just don't have them quality wins yet, but trust me, he'll get them.

It's ashame. At 69 my favorite fight lost an extremely boring fight that was his 1st loss due to a gay staph infection. And yes he was Diego Sanchez. I thought he was the best 170lbs in the world. No doubt he could easily be #2 since that loss to Kos was bullcrap. But I don't see him beating Fitch if they rematch even though the 1st was sort of close in a way if submission attempts count. He was 18 or 19-0-0 I believe. But sad thing happened to him.

As of now I'll say Fedor. But in the future. Thiago Silva baby!
jiujitsufreak74
11/21/07 2:03:02PM

Posted by HulkRage

I would say Travis Fulton. ( 181-43-9 )!
could any other fighter hang with that record if they fight that much? I don't think so. Can any other fighter say they have submitted 119 guys.?
Not to mention his pro boxing / kickboxing careers.

there is no way you are serious...

and yea, jackalope you were right
DCRage
11/21/07 2:21:05PM
According to Sherdog, it's actually Paulo Filho. 16-0. There was another guy listed who's 16-0 but he hasn't fought since '03 so I assume he's retired. The next guy down is listed as 15-0 but he also has a Draw and a No Contest.
Scott_Revels
11/21/07 2:27:42PM

Posted by DCRage

According to Sherdog, it's actually Paulo Filho. 16-0. There was another guy listed who's 16-0 but he hasn't fought since '03 so I assume he's retired. The next guy down is listed as 15-0 but he also has a Draw and a No Contest.

The No Contest might count him out, but in my books a Draw is neither a win or a loss, and therefore he could be counted as undefeated still.
hippysmacker
11/21/07 9:54:40PM
I have to agree with Fedor. I still think the TK tourney loss, was BS. IMO he's undefeated.
NatedawgThaM
11/21/07 9:55:28PM
He even avenged the loss by domination. Nuff said. It's Fedor.