Best Lightweight Fight ????

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Best Lightweight Fight ????
POLL: BEST LW FIGHT
BJ PENN vs JENS PULVER 11% (5)
SAM STOUT vs SPENCER FISHER 2% (1)
DIAZ vs GOMI 36% (17)
BJ PENN vs CAOL UNO (1) 6% (3)
GILBERT MELENDEZ vs TATSUYA KAWAJIRI 13% (6)
OTHER 32% (15)
a1strait
5/11/07 5:07:57PM
The best lightweight fight I have seen would be Diaz vs Gomi and also Yves Edwards vs James thompson (with the crazy kick knockout). Those are the two fights were some crazy battles and I hope to see rematches in them.
xchickox
5/11/07 5:20:27PM
i thought the sean sherk vs kenny florian fight was an awesome fight
xthe_scottx
5/11/07 5:23:06PM
This is tough. I'm leaning towards Melendez vs Kawajiri.
shackle
5/11/07 5:44:40PM
Roger Huerta vs Leonard Garcia Was a great one. Has to be the best one this year.

Edgar vs tyson was good too.

Out of those I guess BJ PENN vs JENS PULVER Some I didn't see.
kerazzle
5/11/07 6:04:26PM
uve gotta have Azeredo vs. Hansen on there, I love that fight.
Trapt1nw0nder
5/11/07 6:10:33PM

Posted by shackle

Roger Huerta vs Leonard Garcia Was a great one. Has to be the best one this year.

Edgar vs tyson was good too.

Out of those I guess BJ PENN vs JENS PULVER Some I didn't see.

I would have to go ..

1.Griffin/Edgar
2.Huerta/Garcia
3.Diaz/Gomi

Mastodon2
5/11/07 6:39:03PM
I'd say Sean Sherk vs Kenny Florian was the best lightweight fight, that was a war!

However, we could be looking at a potential usurper with Hermes Franca / Sean Sherk coming soon!
tepid55
5/11/07 6:52:13PM
Matt Serra vs. Ivan Menjivar from UFC 48. One of the best lightweight fights I've ever seen.
Ultimate_fighter
5/11/07 7:11:35PM

Posted by tepid55

Matt Serra vs. Ivan Menjivar from UFC 48. One of the best lightweight fights I've ever seen.

loller90278
5/11/07 8:13:26PM
i'll nominate gomi vs azeredo II (i think its the rematch.. its where gomi K azeredo TFO)

from the poll ill choose crusher vs el nino
sleevey
5/11/07 9:23:11PM
Edgar/Griffin the fight of the year let alone lightweight division that had it all standup, ground game and most importantly huge hearts on both sides those 2 are the future of that division.

Diaz/Gomi just for the Gogoplatta alone it gets a nod but it was an all out war.

Huerta/Garcia was a good fight lots of heart a good battle but not near the top 10 all time in LW history number 3 this year though
the-james
5/11/07 10:37:26PM
Frankie Edgar vs Tyson Griffin
johny_rotten
5/11/07 11:42:17PM
Wow Pride really wasn't represented here. Gomi vs Kawajiri is on of the best ever. Pulver vs Gomi was amazing as well. In the UFC Edwards vs Thompson was another good one.
kerazzle
5/12/07 12:30:33AM
wheres the love for Hansen/Azeredo? That was a beautiful fight with a brutal finish.
Buddharox
5/12/07 2:25:06AM
There's a ton of fights that should be on that list instead of the ones that are.
Northrend
5/12/07 3:41:49AM
All of Gomi's fights in the LWGP were great. Actually...all the fights from the LWGP were crazy....Sakurai, Hansen, Edwards, Kawajiri. My fav is probably Gomi/Kawajiri though. Damn I love Lightweights.
PW
5/12/07 11:05:23AM
First off it's worth saying that anyone looking for good lightweight fights should give Bushido 9 a watch. One of the best MMA events ever if not the best.

A "few" of my favourite lightweight fights:

Tyson Griffin vs Frank Edgar
Joachim Hansen vs Caol Uno
Takanori Gomi vs Jean Silva
Takanori Gomi vs Tatsuya Kawajiri
Takanori Gomi vs Nick Diaz
Tatsuya Kawajiri vs Luiz Buscape Firmino
Charles Bennett vs Takanori Gomi
Caol Uno vs Rumina Sato
Leonard Garcia vs Roger Huerta
Hideo Tokoro vs Alexandre Franca Nogueira
Luiz Azeredo vs Joachim Hansen
Jens Pulver vs Hayato Sakurai
Joachim Hansen vs Hayato Sakurai
Gilbert Melendez vs Nobuhiro Obiya
Yoshifumi Dogaki vs Shigetoshi Iwase
Kenji Arai vs Jens Pulver
Hideo Tokoro vs Ivan Menjivar
Naoya Uematsu vs Kenji Osawa
Joachim Hansen vs Yves Edwards
Kyosuke Sasaki vs Seiji Ikemoto
Mark Oshiro vs Ed Newalu

I'd recommend all of the above.

johny_rotten
5/12/07 12:26:18PM
Wow I can't beleave all of you, and myself have forgotten one of the best UFC fights ever not to mention LW fight. Genki Sudo vs Bang Ludwig had every element of an epic war. Beside the fight being great it also changed the UFC. After this fight the UFC made the much needed change that if a fight was stopped on thr ground due to a cut or equipment issue the fighter would be returned to the same postion.
Believe-in-judo81
5/13/07 6:52:05AM
Lightweight is such a deep division with so many gifted guys it's really hard to pick one. I'm going to go a bit off wall and say Hermes Fisher vs. Caol Uno. I'm a huge fan of both guys and it was a very exciting and competitive fight up until Hermes caught Caol with one of his nasty haymakers. If the buzz in Japan about Uno possibly makingf tracks back to the UFC is true this is definitelly a rematch I would pay to see.
nate22
5/14/07 6:38:49AM
lol it's not Diaz and Gomi, how the hell are people picking that when Melendez - Kawajiri is on there?
d_block07
5/15/07 1:55:32PM

Posted by Believe-in-judo81

Lightweight is such a deep division with so many gifted guys it's really hard to pick one. I'm going to go a bit off wall and say Hermes Fisher vs. Caol Uno. I'm a huge fan of both guys and it was a very exciting and competitive fight up until Hermes caught Caol with one of his nasty haymakers. If the buzz in Japan about Uno possibly makingf tracks back to the UFC is true this is definitelly a rematch I would pay to see.

Hermes Franca* Spencer FISHER was the guy he beat(with a bs overhand right) to get his shot
kaduey
5/18/07 2:05:00PM
Every fight from the Bushido lightweight tourney were some of the fights I've seen. That was one of the best series of PPVs.
loller90278
5/18/07 4:03:39PM

Posted by nate22

lol it's not Diaz and Gomi, how the hell are people picking that when Melendez - Kawajiri is on there?

bump that fersure
Rush
5/18/07 5:08:33PM
Gilbert Melendez looks like he has a bright future in MMA.

How can you not think his fights are the shit?

Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1