Best Grappling Heavyweight

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Best Grappling Heavyweight
Next Page »
Jackelope
2/2/07 11:05:30AM
Mind you I've got no grappling history (besides weak ass Army training) and really I don't know shit about grappling, but from what I've seen and judging off of who I enjoy watching grapple the most out of the big guys I've got my money on Frank Mir and Fedor. Totally open to discussion/rant since my knowledge is limited. What do you guys think?
waylon_o
2/2/07 11:27:47AM
Big Nog is in a class of his own when it comes to grappling heavyweights.
pv3Hpv3p
2/2/07 11:40:34AM
Ya, I got to go with Big Nog or Werdum...

But Frank Mir did show some real promise earlier in his career, before the motorcycle accident. Just hasn't shown much in his last couple of fights...

Roger Gracie is an up-and-comer, that deserves mention in this catagory.
MississippiRed
2/2/07 1:40:42PM
I'd also like to add Josh Barnett to the mix.

MississippiRed
Pyrenus
2/2/07 2:57:26PM
In the UFC, Jeff Monson and Pe De Pano are up there.
bayonetxwork
2/2/07 3:08:24PM
Nog, Cruz, Monson
-NewBreed-
2/2/07 4:08:40PM
Of course Big Nog, Werdum, Monson are up there. Also think Gonzaga should also be added, and no not just because of the armbar on Marrero haha.
cowcatcher
2/2/07 4:13:27PM
grappling is a hard thing to categorize, but on pure wrestling Monson is up there,in BJJ Nog has little competition, and as far as leg subs go Fedor and Barnett are both VERY good HWs, hon. mention in leg subs goes to Mir circa a few years ago, coula been a great 1 but he's a fart in the wind now
GladE8R
2/2/07 4:20:50PM
Last time I checked, Randy was a HW right?

Pure wrestler, Couture is amazing...

I'd would go with Fedor, Couture, Monson, and Nog

Frank Mir before the accident was on a tear....what a shame.
Iteach
2/2/07 4:36:10PM
I love to watch Big Nog, but Gonzaga looks to be pretty good on the ground.
OB_Juan
2/2/07 5:11:39PM
I'll add Jon Olav Einemo. I believe he was the first European to win ADCC. He's beaten Roger Gracie. Werdum was the only MMA opponent he didn't sub.
thelastking
2/2/07 5:18:41PM
Werdum is the best grappling heavyweight
amik
2/2/07 5:46:31PM
I think in Fabricio Werdum or Fedor ...

Or Nogueira...
Rezen
2/2/07 6:48:57PM
I would go with Fabricio Werdum. Big Nog and a skinny Ricco Rodriguez are also very very good. Monson, Cruz, Gonzaga and others are a step below Werdum, Nog and Ricco.
IMO
hippysmacker
2/2/07 6:58:22PM
Fedor stands alone IMO
Jackelope
2/2/07 11:22:09PM
Well it's good to know that I'm not too far off.

As for Couture... I would have put him up there but I've been more impressed with his ground and pound/takedowns than his actual rolling around jiu jitsu submission fighting. Like I said, I don't know much about grappling and I love Couture, but I was speaking on a jiu jitsu/sambo basis.

To be honest after being overseas for the past 4 years I'm way out of touch with the MMA world and I hadn't seen any Mir fights since a while back. I didn't know the crash affected him that bad. That's terrible :( I really liked the way he fought
ElGuApO91
2/2/07 11:30:20PM
fedor, monson, and couture
Manfred
2/4/07 6:03:15AM
No one mentioned Roger Gracie yet?

If we are talking just pure grapping skill, he's got to be towards the top of the list.
First person (still the only, I think) to submit all his opponents in Abu Dhabi.
Rezen
2/4/07 9:27:05AM

Posted by Manfred

If we are talking just pure grapping skill, he's got to be towards the top of the list.
First person (still the only, I think) to submit all his opponents in Abu Dhabi.

Very true but he has one fight so it's easy to forget. He should carry on the grappling Gracie name or a long time. Good point.
madmarck
2/4/07 4:02:32PM
Mir??? cmon man. the guy is good at BJJ not great. he subs strikers not ground fighters.
For Grappling HW's gotta say Monson, Fedor, Gabriel Gonzaga, Nog, and Barnett.
madmarck
2/4/07 4:03:50PM

Posted by Manfred

That he wasnt the first to do. He was the first guy to win his weight class and the Absolute (all weights compete) divsion by sub. (Ps he was a LHW and beat HW)
tunefish
2/4/07 6:14:13PM

Posted by Iteach

I love to watch Big Nog, but Gonzaga looks to be pretty good on the ground.

I agree, Einemo is one talented guy, just wish he would take more fights.
madmarck
2/4/07 9:32:13PM
who the hell is Einemo???? are you talking about Fedor?
Manfred
2/5/07 12:53:41AM

Posted by madmarck

Posted by Manfred

That he wasnt the first to do. He was the first guy to win his weight class and the Absolute (all weights compete) divsion by sub. (Ps he was a LHW and beat HW)

Thanks for the correction. He's also won a bunch of BJJ championships. So you agree he's one of the top grappling HWs?
Snacks
2/5/07 5:08:24AM

Posted by waylon_o

Totally, I mean, didn't you see him poan Ricco to death by letting him get that kneebar so he could transition to his back?!
hippysmacker
2/5/07 6:03:16AM

Posted by Snacks

Posted by waylon_o

Totally, I mean, didn't you see him poan Ricco to death by letting him get that kneebar so he could transition to his back?!

IMO Ricco won that fight. Hometown decision for a guy on loan from the UFC, Great grappling action from both guys though.
madmarck
2/5/07 9:26:23AM

Posted by Manfred

Posted by madmarck

Posted by Manfred

Thanks for the correction. He's also won a bunch of BJJ championships. So you agree he's one of the top grappling HWs?

I would except he is a LHW................................
And he has only fought one MMA match so. its a bit early. Just cuz ur a World Champion in BJJ doesnt mean your awesome at MMA. Lister just got beat by Nate and Lister is a world class Grappler.
madmarck
2/5/07 9:27:25AM

Posted by hippysmacker

Posted by Snacks

Posted by waylon_o

IMO Ricco won that fight. Hometown decision for a guy on loan from the UFC, Great grappling action from both guys though.

Ricco did Beat Nog in a Submission Grappling Tournament so Ricco is a awesome Grappler.
Sakuraba
2/5/07 11:01:49AM
Einemo is a stud! Who many guys would make a comeback like he did against Werdum (who is very underrated by the way). He was out 3 years because of an injury and did very good. Werdum wouldn`t be on the ground with him and that says a lot..

i vote Einemo. 2003 ADCC champ
madmarck
2/5/07 1:59:13PM

Posted by Jackelope

Well it's good to know that I'm not too far off.

As for Couture... I would have put him up there but I've been more impressed with his ground and pound/takedowns than his actual rolling around jiu jitsu submission fighting. Like I said, I don't know much about grappling and I love Couture, but I was speaking on a jiu jitsu/sambo basis.

To be honest after being overseas for the past 4 years I'm way out of touch with the MMA world and I hadn't seen any Mir fights since a while back. I didn't know the crash affected him that bad. That's terrible :( I really liked the way he fought

Mir got rattled by it but thats not why he shouldnt be on this list. He made his name in the UFC subbin Tank Abbot, Pete Williams, Tim Sylvia, and countless ohters. Who were strikers. Mir is only a brown Belt in BJJ. Yet he showed what GRacie JJ can do to those not well versed in it. It was similiar to Royce entering the Octagon in the Early days of the UFC.
Pages: [1] 2