Best fighter to never win a belt? (Incl. GPs)

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Best fighter to never win a belt? (Incl. GPs)
POLL: Best non-Champ?
Sakuraba 54% (13)
Rampage 13% (3)
Rizzo 8% (2)
Fihlo 8% (2)
Lindland 13% (3)
Other 4% (1)
Manfred
3/30/07 4:07:38PM
Just wondering who everyone think is the best fighter to never win a belt?

Sakuraba is my vote, but it's a tough call.

CC and Shogun if you don't count GPs, but I included the GP belts because it would limit the debate.

I wanted to put Igor on there but ran out of room.
hippysmacker
3/30/07 4:24:08PM
Sakuraba. Mostly because he is a legend, and one of my all-time favorites. I 'm still mad at pride for not putting in the 183 lb. belt a long time ago. Perhaps he wouldn't have fought so many bigger guys, and taken so much damage. I really want him to retire, but he has been quoted as saying he wants to die in the ring. I hope that''s just Hubris, because it actaully could happen. I was afraid Smirnovas was going to kill him in the 1rst round of that fight.
cowcatcher
3/30/07 4:26:51PM
i went with sakuraba too, theres really no contest for me and i see filho winning a title somewhere along the way here, but if he doesnt its going to be a little tougher to call. great question though cant give you props or i would for asking this
Manfred
3/31/07 12:19:13AM

Posted by cowcatcher

i went with sakuraba too, theres really no contest for me and i see filho winning a title somewhere along the way here, but if he doesnt its going to be a little tougher to call. great question though cant give you props or i would for asking this

Rizzo and Saku are the only two on the list that probably never win a title. Guy Metzger belongs up there too.
madmarck
3/31/07 5:37:53PM
No one think Arona? Or Rampage? Those 2 guys are some of my most highly regarded too. I think Babalu also. Just guys with some sick talent.
hcazlekker
3/31/07 5:57:47PM

Posted by madmarck

No one think Arona? Or Rampage? Those 2 guys are some of my most highly regarded too. I think Babalu also. Just guys with some sick talent.

The only reason why I didn't pick Arona or Jackson is because they still have the opportunity.
AlmightyThor
3/31/07 6:36:21PM
ah i see your logic, i was wondering why rampage only had one vote
madmarck
4/2/07 6:58:14AM

Posted by hcazlekker

Posted by madmarck

The only reason why I didn't pick Arona or Jackson is because they still have the opportunity.

Pretty sure Fihlo does too. He has yet to even lose a fight. He is clearly in line for a title shot.

Rizzo and Saku are aged and bruised. They have fallen behind in the game a bit. And i doubt either will even get a title shot again.

Whethere Lindland gets a title shot ever again is unknown. He seems to want to bounce around the semi-big orgs and collect the good $$$. Cant blame him, but i want him to prove he is #1 (beating Fedor would do it).
richieb19
4/2/07 12:24:07PM
I was torn between Rizzo and Saku, but I chose Rizzo... even though I'm more of a Saku fan, Rizzo has more important wins on his record IMO... it was a very close call though...
pv3Hpv3p
4/2/07 1:17:37PM
Had to go with Sakuraba myself... Untill I read the poll options it didn't click for me that Saku never had a belt... So I figure that if I assume that he was a champ and think of him as a champ, well it's just a damn shame that he never had the official recognitian...

Now that I think of it.... Didn't Saku win the UFC Japan tournament (UFC 15.5 i think) Would that count?
madmarck
4/2/07 5:03:06PM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Had to go with Sakuraba myself... Untill I read the poll options it didn't click for me that Saku never had a belt... So I figure that if I assume that he was a champ and think of him as a champ, well it's just a damn shame that he never had the official recognitian...

Now that I think of it.... Didn't Saku win the UFC Japan tournament (UFC 15.5 i think) Would that count?

It was UFC Japan wasnt it? I know it wasnt 15.5 b/c that never existed. IT might have been UFC 13.
pv3Hpv3p
4/2/07 5:23:25PM

Posted by madmarck

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

It was UFC Japan wasnt it? I know it wasnt 15.5 b/c that never existed. IT might have been UFC 13.

UFC Japan... UFC 15.5... What ever you want to call it... This is the best source that I could find (didn't look for long), besides decade old memories... You got the jist of the statement though...
Manfred
4/3/07 12:59:10AM
I didn't count single night tourny winners because it would exclude too many:

Saku
Royce
Ruas
Severn
Frye
Rickson
Kerr
Metzger

Plus I wasn't thinking of old school guys
richieb19
4/3/07 1:18:07AM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Posted by madmarck

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

UFC Japan... UFC 15.5... What ever you want to call it... This is the best source that I could find (didn't look for long), besides decade old memories... You got the jist of the statement though...

Saku did win the Ultimate Japan tournament, although all he only beat Marcus Silveira... it's in my UFC / Pride Champions thread, which was stickied...
pv3Hpv3p
4/3/07 10:53:29AM

Posted by richieb19

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Posted by madmarck

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Saku did win the Ultimate Japan tournament, although all he only beat Marcus Silveira... it's in my UFC / Pride Champions thread, which was stickied...

If I remember correctly... He fought Silveria twice because of an injury to another fighter... But since then their first fight has been ruled a no contest because of a premature stoppage... I think this was after they had downsized the tournaments.