Best fight ever?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Best fight ever?
POLL: Your favourite fights?
Forrest Griffin vs Stephan Bonnar 1 57% (16)
Georges St.Pierre vs Matt Hughes 3 11% (3)
Randy Couture vs Chuck Liddell 1,2,3 7% (2)
Chuck Liddell vs Wanderlei Silva 25% (7)
Chuck Liddell vs Tito Ortiz 1,2 0% (0)
Anderson Silva vs Dan Henderson 0% (0)
hammerhead1
4/7/08 8:32:16PM
i think to me it is Forrest Griffin vs Stephan Bonnar 1
nickcuc547
4/7/08 8:49:21PM
out of that list it's bonnar griffin 1, but there are some better fights than those that come to mind, diego vs. karo and diaz vs. gomi are two that come to mind right away, im sure if i thought about it i could come up with much more.
NatedawgThaM
4/7/08 8:53:31PM
Forrest-Stephan 1. I honestly believe if that fight never happened, the sport wouldn't be as near as big as it is now. That fight was sick and important.

Chuck-Wandy is a close second. The most anticipated fight in MMA history, and the most exciting fight in MMA history that went the distance. Both just threw non-stop flurries and made the fight live up to the hype. I prop Liddell for letting it live up to the hype. He could have counter punched as always and Wandy probably wouldn't have pressed and played into Chucks game which wouldn't have made it as good, but I applaud Chuck for being the aggressor and making a fight.

But Forrest-Bonnar was just so damn important and so damn exciting.
jiujitsufreak74
4/7/08 8:53:50PM
I really love Huerta v Guida, Couture v Rizzo I and Diaz v Gomi. From that list i chose Wandy v Liddell because that was a great slugfest between two legends. i was excited that whole fight and it is one of my top 5 favorites.
MALICE
4/7/08 8:55:15PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

Forrest-Stephan 1. I honestly believe if that fight never happened, the sport wouldn't be as near as big as it is now. That fight was sick and important.

Chuck-Wandy is a close second. The most anticipated fight in MMA history, and the most exciting fight in MMA history that went the distance. Both just threw non-stop flurries and made the fight live up to the hype. I prop Liddell for letting it live up to the hype. He could have counter punched as always and Wandy probably wouldn't have pressed and played into Chucks game which wouldn't have made it as good, but I applaud Chuck for being the aggressor and making a fight.

kevietre
4/7/08 9:46:37PM
I agree with nickcuc547 about Diego vs. Karo that was a war from bell to bell. Matt Hughes vs. Frank Trigg 1 & 2 were big. Stout vs. Fisher 1&2.

I really like the Couture vs. Sylvia fight because Randy was such an underdog and watching it live on TV I was on the edge of my seat because I thought Randy could get knocked out any second but he just kept dominating.
jgtribbett
4/7/08 10:52:13PM
chuck and wand looked staged
cmill21
4/7/08 11:43:45PM
Cro Cop vs Fedor. One of if not the biggest fight in mma history and it lived up to the billing. As for getting the sport noteriety here definetly Bonner vs Forrest.
Pookie
4/8/08 12:00:51AM
This is a topic that should not have a poll... too many fights to choose from.

Plus not one of these fights are in my top 5.
kevietre
4/8/08 12:12:53AM
Frye vs. Takayama hands down.
gartface
4/8/08 12:47:53AM

Posted by kevietre

Frye vs. Takayama hands down.

Props brother.
chubbud22
4/8/08 4:21:45AM

Posted by jgtribbett

chuck and wand looked staged

This is not the WWE come on dude
casey64
4/8/08 9:23:40AM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

CantAndleDaRiddum
4/8/08 2:34:26PM
diaz gomi. i was so pumped before the fight. they kept it going the entire fight. i watched it 7x later that same day bc i wanted to make sure i could analyze everything. what a war! i
Jackelope
4/8/08 2:44:05PM
Griffin vs. Guida comes to mind as one of the greatest fights ever. So does Edgar vs. Griffin. Pellegrino vs. Stevenson was a war. Way too many fights to list here lol.
coldchillin
4/8/08 2:54:37PM
hard to choose just one but here are some that should be considered:

Nick Diaz-Takanori Gomi: easily my favorite fight ever. What a war this was, I had to download it and watch it over and over again.

Shogun-Lil' NOG: anybody who didn't get to watch this fight in the first round of LHW Grand Prix needs to watch this. They both just keep on coming after each other.

Josh Barnett-Big NOG (the first fight): wow, what a great technical fight this was... beautiful transitions, slick submission attempts. This would be the fight I would show the people who think MMA is just some form of human cockfighting... this fight is what I love about MMA.

Randy Couture-Pedro Rizzo (the first fight): really good fight with a lot of back and forth action. The rematch didn't live up to the first fight.
JBatch
4/8/08 4:37:02PM
Diaz vs. Gomi hands down it had everything you could ask for in a fight.

Bonnar vs. Griffen was a war and meant so much for the UFC so it is up there IMO.

tylerlee123
4/8/08 4:46:08PM
My favorite would definately be Griffin- Bonnar 1 and then it would have to be Hughes - Trigg 2 that was amazing
Aether
4/8/08 5:25:52PM
Like someone else said this post probably shouldn't have included a poll. I would only consider 2 of those fights to be anywhere near the top10 and that would be liddell/silva and bonnar/griffin, but I still don't know if either of them would even make my top10.

Some of my favourites for different reasons would be

frye vs takayama as probably the best straight barfight - there's really no technique at all involved here just a whole lot of action and excitement.

Sakuraba vs Newton for one of the best grappling displays I've ever witnessed. Two masters flowing from defense to offense back and forth with complete fluidity.

Smith vs Sell for one of the most surprising endings I've ever seen to a fight. It was like something you see in a movie fight scene where the good guy gets hurt and magically throws the perfect haymaker with his last ounce of strength.

I would consider all of these fights to be more exciting than any of the fights on that list, even though some of them would be pretty high up still. Bonnar/Griffin and Liddell/Silva were exciting no doubt, but they were both like a more tame version of frye vs takayama or mahoef vs cyborg. I don't think I would consider the rest of the nominations to be even in my top 20 or 30 for that matter.
prozacnation1978
4/8/08 5:51:32PM
the wandy vs chuck match live was awesome that was worth the price of the trip to go see that, i loved that match, lived up to the hype.

i also like frank trigg vs hughes 2
hendo vs anderson is my fight of the year so far in 08
of course bonner vs forrest