Best way to determine the best fighter of each weight class each year?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Best way to determine the best fighter of each weight class each year?
Junior24
3/13/07 5:09:37PM
What is the best way to determine the best fighter of each weight class EACH year? Of course they have to actually fight.

IMO regardless of "Fight Club" or organization, each champion of each weight class in how ever many organizations the "commitee" allows (Probably the most reconizable) would participate in a "tournament" of champions. I think the biggest hurdles would be determining an unbiased committe, and determine time between fights. I definately dont wont to go down the Boxing road! But something to cure our curiosity, instead of waiting for contracts to expire.

Your thoughts...
pv3Hpv3p
3/13/07 5:41:28PM
I dealistically that sounds pretty good...

But when you take into account: different rules from different orgs, where would the fights take place (would there be a "home team advantage" for Gomi in Japan or Chuck in the US, etc), and most importantly the financial issues that would arise...

The UFC won't let their fights fight anywhere else, I think Pride does a little of the same (not as strictly) but ideally any org wouldn't want it's top fighters going off and getting injured or even getting beaten in other organizations...

This would only really work with PrideFC and the UFC... All the other orgs would be at a severe disadvantage (skillwise)...

Like I said though, in a perfect world...
Junior24
3/13/07 7:10:21PM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

I dealistically that sounds pretty good...

But when you take into account: different rules from different orgs, where would the fights take place (would there be a "home team advantage" for Gomi in Japan or Chuck in the US, etc), and most importantly the financial issues that would arise...

The UFC won't let their fights fight anywhere else, I think Pride does a little of the same (not as strictly) but ideally any org wouldn't want it's top fighters going off and getting injured or even getting beaten in other organizations...

This would only really work with PrideFC and the UFC... All the other orgs would be at a severe disadvantage (skillwise)...

Like I said though, in a perfect world...

The "Committee" would determine "International" rules. The organizations would host in their own country each year, i.e. PrideFC hosts in Japan/Hong Kong one year, UFC in Vegas the next, Bodog in Russia the next, K-1 Hero's in Korea the next, Gracie's in Brazil, Cage Rage/UFC in the U.K., Icont Sport in Hawaii, even nuetral places like South Africa and Austrailia, you get the point. The commitee would consist of representation from each organization and they could all split the PPV, advertisment, ticket proceeds, etc. and host countries would get some tourism dollars, the fighters would get a flat pay check for winner and loser. And if a fighter makes it to the "World Cup", I think their fighting organization should maybe pay a bonus similar to the other major league associations. They should schedule every year New Year's Eve and each organization involved would agree not to shedule any title bouts before Oct 1st in order to give the fighters ample time to train.