who is the best current ufc champion right now??

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » who is the best current ufc champion right now??
Next Page »
prozacnation1978
3/5/08 7:11:01PM
i got in a huge debate with friends about this question, who is the best, and how would you rank them. i know there are many options on this, and all can be debatable, right now this is mine

1. anderson silva middleweight
2. gsp welterweight
3. rampage light heavy
4. bj penn light
5. noguierra heavy

these are some badass guys and i really would not be surprised if for once all the ufc champions kept there belts for a full year

i also think first to los theirs will be big nog,
billycarnage
3/5/08 7:15:28PM
The Spider
NatedawgThaM
3/5/08 7:20:04PM
GSP isn't champion.

1. Anderson for cleaning out that whole division
2. Rampage for beating the so called "unstoppable Iceman" and unifying the titles
3. BJ Penn, when he's focused, he's unstoppage
4. Big Nog only because the best has yet to begin
5. Serra, even if GSP beats him he'll stay in this spot since neither have ever defended the title.
CactusBob
3/5/08 7:25:50PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

GSP isn't champion.

2. Rampage for beating the so called "unstoppable Iceman" and unifying the titles
5. Serra, even if GSP beats him he'll stay in this spot since neither have ever defended the title.

GSP is as much a champion as Big Nog at the moment, though for different reasons.
MFOTHER
3/5/08 7:32:15PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

GSP isn't champion.

man you must really hate GSP

big nog or bj havn't defended their belts either, and all have their belts from 'stripped" fighters for different reasons

and btw whats "unstoppage"
NatedawgThaM
3/5/08 7:35:00PM

Posted by MFOTHER

Posted by NatedawgThaM

GSP isn't champion.

big nog or bj havn't defended their belts either, and all have their belts from 'stripped" fighters for different reasons

I don't hate him, I just hate how everybody talks about how unstoppable he is when he got destroyed by Matt Serra!!! Don't hate the man, hate all the hype around him. Same thing with Chuck.
Pookie
3/5/08 7:38:58PM
best is a relative term, so i wont take it as p4p...

1. Rampage - fighting in the toughest division in any MMA organization and is the current champion.
2. Anderson Silva - Completly established dominance, in the division... but honestly its the weakest UFC division by a long shot.
3. Big Nog - possesses problems for every heavyweight in existence... other than fedor
4. Bj Penn - Joe stevenson had no business fighting for the belt, Bj got an easy match-up. Depending on how decisively he beats sherk he might move up. Also most of the best 155ers out there are not in the ufc
5. GSP - Still needs to avenge that loss.
jrmmaclassics
3/5/08 7:55:09PM
Are your friends newbs to UFC or what. There is only one champ who has defended his title and won on numerous occasions. Dumb thread and you might want to reconsider who your friends are.
nickcuc547
3/5/08 8:00:20PM
1. anderson silva- middleweight
2. bj penn-lightweight
3. rampage- light heavyweight
4. nog- heavyweight
5. serra- welterweight
Schizoidman
3/5/08 8:57:26PM
I personally think that all the interim titles are getting a little out of hand. It seems like the UFC will use any excuse to hand out belts whenever something happens to the current champion; however, that doesn't mean that the Interim Champs are any less champs than the Legitimate Champions. GSP, and Nogueira are just as much champions as Anderson Silva, Rampage, BJ, Serra, and even Randy. You can't take away credit from them just because some messed up stuff has happened in their divisions. Give credit where credit is due.
wolfman
3/5/08 8:57:56PM

Posted by Pookie

best is a relative term, so i wont take it as p4p...

1. Rampage - fighting in the toughest division in any MMA organization and is the current champion.
2. Anderson Silva - Completly established dominance, in the division... but honestly its the weakest UFC division by a long shot.
3. Big Nog - possesses problems for every heavyweight in existence... other than fedor
4. Bj Penn - Joe stevenson had no business fighting for the belt, Bj got an easy match-up. Depending on how decisively he beats sherk he might move up. Also most of the best 155ers out there are not in the ufc
5. GSP - Still needs to avenge that loss.

My thoughts exactly, well said.
seanfu
3/5/08 9:10:36PM
#1 pound for pound.......MATT SERRA!!!!!!!!!!!
Twenty20Dollars
3/5/08 9:10:58PM
I think these guys could stay champions for awhile and possibly go up weight class to fight other titles.

Anderson Silva could go up or down, dont see anyone beating him in along time but theres always a fighters punch.

Pending GSP wins back the title which I think he will, i think he will dominate the division unless another fluke happens

and BJ could dominate his division, but im hoping sherk beats him.

So this could set up BJ vs GSP for the 170 title. BJ vs Anderson at 185. GSP vs Anderson at 185. could be amazing fights. crazy crazy
SmileR
3/5/08 9:50:08PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

Posted by MFOTHER

Posted by NatedawgThaM

GSP isn't champion.

I don't hate him, I just hate how everybody talks about how unstoppable he is when he got destroyed by Matt Serra!!! Don't hate the man, hate all the hype around him. Same thing with Chuck.

I'm not picking at you but I don't get how you include GSP and Chuck but then leave out Penn?

Chuck strung together one of the most impressive winning streaks in MMA history in probably the toughest devision at the time and shouldn't be knocked for what he did.
Also GSP is probably the most rounded fighter in the world today. Both firmly deserve the credit they are given!

BJ is one of the most inconsistent fighters out there. Granted what you say about him being unstoppable when he's focused is as near to true as you can get in MMA.
Serra really hasn't done anything to prove he deserves the credit he has got. If he beats GSP in the same fashion he did in their first match i still wouldn't rank him No. 1 as Hughes, Fitch, Sanchez or Koscheck could still easily beat him in my opinion.

In my opinion the best current champ is Rampage by a long shot! He is fighting in the toughest competition and i think will put together the best win streak... Unless he still can't get past Old Axe Murderer!
JoeySteel
3/5/08 9:56:35PM
I think Anderson is the best. I don't think anyone in MW can touch him after seeing Hendo get thwarted. I REALLY thought Hendo was a bad match for Anderson.

Like Anderson getting past Hendo, If Penn can get past Sherk he will dominate the UFC lw for a while. But as all the PRIDE fighters have shown us, it is a lot harder to fight after kicking the roids. Sherk will go down, but I am not betting on this one.

I think A Nog is in a good spot, he is a champ in a division where their does not seem to me to be a lot of top contenders who are as consistent as him. At least in UFC right now.

I am not super impressed with Rampage and GSP, I think they have glaring flaws, and I think there are strong contenders who can take em.

Pookie
3/5/08 9:56:40PM

Posted by SmileR
...BJ is one of the most inconsistent fighters out there. Granted what you say about him being unstoppable when he's focused is as near to true as you can get in MMA...

I disagree that hes inconsistent.

If you look at his losses,
Hughes: completely dominated 2/3 rounds before breaking a rib
St. Pierre: Gave him his toughest fight to date, afterwards St. Pierre went to the hospital... bj went to a party.
Lyoto Machida: again gave machida his toughest fight to date and that was while 50 pounds overweight.
Pulver: 6 years ago...

He may be lazy... but he certainly isnt inconsistent.
loonytnt
3/5/08 9:57:10PM
anderson silva
jiujitsufreak74
3/5/08 9:57:21PM
i disagree with the MW being the weakest division. in terms of talent, i would say right now the UFC HW division is the weakest, it is just that Anderson Silva is so dominant at MW that it makes the rest of the division appear worse off then it really is. also, if you were to look at strength in terms of talent in the UFC vs the talent outside the UFC, LW and HW would be tied for the worst. but i do understand where some of you are coming from picking Rampage in front of Silva but you can't argue with the fact that he has the most title defenses, the most impressive finishes and the most dominance in the division. Rampage is a great fighter, but right now i have to rank Silva in front of him based off of sheer and utter dominance. that and if you would use a little MMAth despite the fact that it has never worked in the past...Rampage fought to a close 5 round decision with Henderson while Silva beat him decisively in the 2nd...just thought i would throw that out there
roger
3/5/08 10:12:26PM
anderson silva there is no one in the middleweight class that can beat him and i could see him going up to 205 and running through that weight division
SmileR
3/5/08 10:18:34PM

Posted by Pookie

Posted by SmileR
...BJ is one of the most inconsistent fighters out there. Granted what you say about him being unstoppable when he's focused is as near to true as you can get in MMA...

I disagree that hes inconsistent.

If you look at his losses,
Hughes: completely dominated 2/3 rounds before breaking a rib
St. Pierre: Gave him his toughest fight to date, afterwards St. Pierre went to the hospital... bj went to a party.
Lyoto Machida: again gave machida his toughest fight to date and that was while 50 pounds overweight.
Pulver: 6 years ago...

He may be lazy... but he certainly isnt inconsistent.

Your right man. Inconsistent isn't the right word sorry.
You hit it on the head with lazy though.
I'v got no doubt in my mind that BJ's record would rival or even beat Fedors if he had the same work ethic.
That being said though he is still to string together a decent title defense.

He is undeniably talented but is still yet to prove he can win with the belt round his waist.
If he keeps up his current work ethic though I could see him being a major problem for not only GSP but Silva as well. Not to mention ruling the LW devision.

prozacnation1978
3/5/08 10:48:17PM
sorry about that, forgot about good old chuck, i was in a hurry. serra i forgot all about, then again he hasn't fought in almost a year now. so gsp is interm champ and will be permanent in april
Kracker_Jap
3/5/08 10:53:31PM

Posted by CactusBob

Posted by NatedawgThaM

GSP isn't champion.

GSP is as much a champion as Big Nog at the moment, though for different reasons.

Yah but GSP was man enough to hand back his fake belt
NatedawgThaM
3/5/08 11:56:46PM

Posted by Kracker_Jap

Posted by CactusBob

Posted by NatedawgThaM

GSP isn't champion.

Yah but GSP was man enough to hand back his fake belt

What the heck does that mean? Randy isn't man enough to defend his title against Nog so Nog is going to hang onto it until it's the official HW title.
cj_striker
3/6/08 10:50:27AM
It all depends on what you mean by the "best". If you are talking about how a current champion has done is his weight class, then it obviously would be Anderson #1 for him defending the belt numerous times and beating Rich Franklin and Hendo the #2 and #3 guys in that division IMO, even though it kills me to say that because I prayed both of them would beat Silva. Rampage would be #2 seeing how he's the only other current champion to defend the belt, then #3 would be a tie between Big Nog and BJ, both having not defended the belt yet and not having to beat the actually champion for it which of course isn't their fault, but those are the facts. Not including the GSP and Serra thing, because the true champ will be decided very soon.
But you could also look at the question as who is the best well rounded or p4p UFC champ. I know I'll catch a lot of grief for it but Anderson isn't #1 on my list. Considering GSP will win against Serra and become the WW champ my list would have him #1 as the best all a round champ, seeing how IMO he is the best MMA out of them with SIlva and BJ as a very close second, then it would be Rampage and Big Nog.
CantAndleDaRiddum
3/6/08 11:38:43AM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

GSP isn't champion.

u hate gsp so much... come over to the good side before its too late

Anderson or Rampage
Mayhem13
3/6/08 12:24:26PM
Silva- 5 title defenses now?...damn!
Rampage- tough weightclass, with a solid title defense already
Serra- since the other 3 havent defended thier belt yet...I am rating them by the level of opponent they beat to get the belt.
Nog- beat Sylvia
Penn- beat Stevenson
Mayhem13
3/6/08 2:29:34PM
nevermind the 5 defenses thing I put there..haha

I forgot Lutter didnt make weight..and I counted beating Franklin the first time as well...oops..
gsquat
3/6/08 3:50:47PM
I'm not sure what you mean by "best", but I'll assume you mean most dominant.

1: Silva... obviously.

2: Jackson

3: Penn

4: Serra

5: Nog (I put Nog here in place of Couture because he has made it abundantly clear that he has no plans of returning to the UFC.)
AchillesHeel
3/6/08 3:58:26PM

Posted by gsquat

I'm not sure what you mean by "best", but[...]

Right, that's true.

If you're talking about talent level, and not accomplishments, I'd rank them thusly:

1. B.J. Penn
2. Anderson Silva
3. Georges St. Pierre
4. Rampage Jackson
5. Big Nog

On the other hand, if you're looking at them in terms of "fun", I'd put them this way:

1. Rampage
2. BJ
3. GSP
4. Silva
5. Nog
Gipper
3/6/08 4:16:58PM
bj penn
Pages: [1] 2