Best Coach of all time??

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Best Coach of all time??
hathcock32
3/28/07 4:34:26AM
Vince Lombardi?
Bear Bryant?
Phil Jackson?
Red Auerbach?
Bill Parcells?
Tito TUF 3??
Pat Militich??
Bill Bellicheck?
Bobby Knight??
Pat Summit??
Violentcuv
3/28/07 6:54:53AM
Phil Jackson
FBD
3/28/07 8:53:02AM
red auerbach
cowcatcher
3/28/07 10:16:33AM
easy, john wooden, no one in any sport compares, this is coming from someone in packer country so im obliged to say vince lombardi
deadcore
3/28/07 11:53:03AM
depends on the sport. many great coaches but each sport needs to be considered individually. no scotty bowman on the list? 9 stanley cups is pretty good
hippysmacker
3/28/07 4:46:34PM
Lombardi. He changed the game. Not only are many of his conditioning and mental training techniques still widely used, his big game record was unparralelled. He led the packers to 3 straight NFL championships, won the first 2 superbowls, and was the coach who convinced Frank Gifford( NFL hall of famer) to switch to offense when he was the offensive coordinator of the giants. His quotes are still used by coaches at all levels. " Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing" and my all time favorite truism " The gretaest feeling a man can have is to lie completely exhausted on the field of battle, Victorious" . Still gives me chills and I'm just typing it.
zephead
3/28/07 6:40:28PM
Joe Gibbs.

He led the Skins to 3 Super Bowl wins in 4 shots. He did it with 3 different QBs and 3 different RBs. Joe Theisman, Doug Williams and Mark Rypein. His RBs were John Riggins, TImmy Smith/George Rodger and Earnest Byner/Ricky Ervins. One Hall of Fammer out of that bunch.

I take nothing away from Lombardi, but he coached a total of 10 Hall of Famers: Bart Starr, Herb Adderley, Willie Davis, Forrest Gregg, Paul Hornung, Henry Jordan, Ray Nitschke, Jim Ringo, Willie wood and Jim Taylor.

Bill Parcells is up there two. what Billichek has done in New england is amazing. But what Gibbs did in Washington is unbeleivable. 3 differnt QBs,. None of them remotely close to getting in the Hall. Riggo's in the Hall but the rest, meh.

To me Gibbs is the best coach ever in the NFL. But then you have to look what he has done in NASAR since getting involved. The guy can manage people like nobody else.

NBA, I don't know, probably Red. College basketbal, Coach K. The NHL would be Scotty Bowman.
hippysmacker
3/28/07 7:26:08PM
Joe Gibbs is desrving of being in this poll, I agree, but I'll still take Lombardi. As for the QB's , Theismann would be in the hall if not for LT destroying his career. He was one of the best of his time, and it's a shame he doen't get the credit he deserves.
zephead
3/28/07 8:50:39PM
Theismann was 36 when the play happened with Taylor and he was having his worse year up to that point. Gibbs didn't bench him because of his loyalty to Theismann, but everybody knew that was Joey T's last year.

His career numbers were 25,206 yards with 160 TDs. Compare that to Jim Kelly: 35,467 and 237 TD's. To Warren Moon: 49,325 and 291 TD's. Joe Montana: 40,551 and 237 TD's. Steve Young: 33,124 and 232 TD's. John Elway: 51,475 and 300 TD's. Marino 61,361 and 420 TD's.

George Blanda, Len Dawson and Bob Greise threw for more yards and TD's. Otto Graham threw for a 1,000 less yards then Theismann but 14 more TD's. He retired in 1955. Bobby Layne threw for more yards and TD's. He retired in 1962 and Y.A. Tittle retired in 64 but threw for more yards and TDs.

Theismann was a good QB, but nothing more then that. No where near a Hall of Fame QB. He'd thank your for the sentiment though
pv3Hpv3p
3/29/07 11:21:11AM
Chuck Noll... End of thread
hippysmacker
3/29/07 6:16:35PM

Posted by zephead

Theismann was 36 when the play happened with Taylor and he was having his worse year up to that point. Gibbs didn't bench him because of his loyalty to Theismann, but everybody knew that was Joey T's last year.

His career numbers were 25,206 yards with 160 TDs. Compare that to Jim Kelly: 35,467 and 237 TD's. To Warren Moon: 49,325 and 291 TD's. Joe Montana: 40,551 and 237 TD's. Steve Young: 33,124 and 232 TD's. John Elway: 51,475 and 300 TD's. Marino 61,361 and 420 TD's.

George Blanda, Len Dawson and Bob Greise threw for more yards and TD's. Otto Graham threw for a 1,000 less yards then Theismann but 14 more TD's. He retired in 1955. Bobby Layne threw for more yards and TD's. He retired in 1962 and Y.A. Tittle retired in 64 but threw for more yards and TDs.

Theismann was a good QB, but nothing more then that. No where near a Hall of Fame QB. He'd thank your for the sentiment though

Zep , curse you for making me feel obligated to defend theismann I'm a Dallas fan, so I had to grudgingly give Theismann the respect he desrerves IMO. Thiesmann played in the CFL before the NFL ( ala Warren Moon). He took his team to 2 superbowls , won 1, and even was a league MVP once. I agree he was having his worst season when he got hurt, but Grimm and Bostic were playing hurt, and Mckenzie was a rookie. Anyway, I guess we disagree. I have close friends who are Redskins fans, and I'm glad they don't come to this sight to see this.
hathcock32
3/29/07 8:52:36PM
I also would add Mike Ditka, just for the fact the 85 bears were the greatest team of all time. I love his attitude, and love for the game.

Bobby Knight was in my house, recruiting my dad back in the day, so im pretty bias to him, hes great to watch.

Bobby Cox also deserves mentioning.
deadcore
3/30/07 1:05:50AM
baseball is a tough call. many greats but nobody stands out in my mind. also if you are gonna say ditka for '85 than you have to put Ryan in perentheses next to ditka. without that super defense they would have gone nowhere
pv3Hpv3p
3/30/07 2:00:06PM

Posted by deadcore

baseball is a tough call. many greats but nobody stands out in my mind. also if you are gonna say ditka for '85 than you have to put Ryan in perentheses next to ditka. without that super defense they would have gone nowhere

Was that Jef Fischer that he punched on the sidelines during an Oiler game years ago? That guy was great...

Ryan vs Ditka in '07
cowcatcher
3/30/07 2:24:14PM
it was kevin gilbride who is the coach at hawaii now and also a fisher look alike
hippysmacker
3/30/07 4:31:03PM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Posted by deadcore

Was that Jef Fischer that he punched on the sidelines during an Oiler game years ago? That guy was great...

Ryan vs Ditka in '07

Cowcatcher is right, it was Gilbride. That was sad. Buddy called the run N shoot offense the "chuck N Duck" and was mad at Gilbride for not running the ball and giving his D time to rest. Buddy's a tough old guy, but I'm sure Gilbride could have pummeled him if he wanted to. Probably didn't want to look the way Pedro did after he threw down Zimmer.
iwannabesedated
4/16/07 7:53:44PM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Yes Chuck Knoll....hopefully in a few years i can say Mike Tomlin..but we will have to see...here we go steelers here we go...
pv3Hpv3p
4/17/07 1:37:42PM

Posted by 40ouncetofreedom

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Yes Chuck Knoll....hopefully in a few years i can say Mike Tomlin..but we will have to see...here we go steelers here we go...

He seemed to do well in MN last year... And the Rooney's know what they're doing, so there must be something about the guy...

Proudly waiving my Terrible Towel since 1986...

On a side note, when I first moved to MN, I was depressed because I only caught 1 or 2 Stillers games a year, and then I found an all Steelers bar just outside of downtown St. Paul!

The Starting Gate was a fuc*in lifesaver
Mastodon2
4/17/07 3:16:26PM
Kevin Keegan.
hippysmacker
4/17/07 3:45:43PM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

He seemed to do well in MN last year... And the Rooney's know what they're doing, so there must be something about the guy...

On a side note, when I first moved to MN, I was depressed because I only caught 1 or 2 Stillers games a year, and then I found an all Steelers bar just outside of downtown St. Paul!

There is always groups of steelers fans at every sports bar I've been too. I'm a dallas fan and we have our groups too. Still, I used to go this sports bar in riverside Ca called Events. There was a group of steeler fans 20 deep every weekend who would cheer every 2 yard gain like it was a TD. I liked them , they rooted for their team instead of against everyone else's. I'm the same way
cowcatcher
4/17/07 3:48:55PM
steelers fans are around here in milwaukee too, and are some of the best, not quite packer fans(30 year waiting list for season tickets even when we STUNK in the 80's and early 90's), but still top 3 in football.....back on subject i still cant believe no one besides me has mentioned wooden must not be many college bball fans here
rameydl8
4/17/07 7:17:00PM
vince lombardi......GO PACKERS
iwannabesedated
4/17/07 8:57:44PM

Posted by hippysmacker

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

There is always groups of steelers fans at every sports bar I've been too. I'm a dallas fan and we have our groups too. Still, I used to go this sports bar in riverside Ca called Events. There was a group of steeler fans 20 deep every weekend who would cheer every 2 yard gain like it was a TD. I liked them , they rooted for their team instead of against everyone else's. I'm the same way

Yeah...people love the steelers here in Pittsburgh...and we do cheer our team...but when its any team in the division..we cheer against them...i was in MD at ocean city...and i got heckled by Ravens fans and this was last season...they were all syaing the ravens are 4-0 and the steelers were like 2-2 maybe... and they said thats the diffrence was ravens were undeafeated and stillers 2-2..my reply was FIVE...yes Five Super bowls to your 1......after that wasnt much said..haha...and i looked cautiosly before leaving making sure Ray Lewis didnt stab me..haha