Best Chin

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Best Chin
Broknmunky
3/9/07 2:54:45AM
Who do you think has the best chin in mma?

I would have to go with Cabbage. That can take some punishment that most men would never stand up to IMO!
Trapt1nw0nder
3/9/07 3:17:43AM
P4P i would say Nick Diaz.....Gomi hit him with everything he had and didnt even daze him one bit...blow hard enough to knock him off his feet,but not hard enough to daze him.....a blow hard enough to make a gash 2 inches wide but not strong enough to daze him

the other would be Rampage....it took Silva like 25 knees to the head before he went down
Hogzilla
3/9/07 10:39:09AM
You know I gotta go w/ ma boy Rampage!
cowcatcher
3/9/07 10:46:00AM
cabbage(a few years ago) or fujita get my vote with hunt and leben being right there too
gimmper
3/9/07 10:54:02AM
Great question Munky...The best chin in boxing was Ali...the best chin in MMA is Fedor...I believe that when accessing the best chin you must consider the opposition that the one has faced...Ali fought the best of his day...Fedor has fought the best of his day
pv3Hpv3p
3/9/07 11:14:54AM
Big Nog or Hunt
Broknmunky
3/9/07 11:21:34AM

Posted by gimmper

Great question Munky...The best chin in boxing was Ali...the best chin in MMA is Fedor...I believe that when accessing the best chin you must consider the opposition that the one has faced...Ali fought the best of his day...Fedor has fought the best of his day

Yes I agree with you but Cabbage hasn't faced just slouches either! Arlovski used his head as a punching bag and so did Tim Sylvia and though they won by TKO, neither one of them actually KO'd him! Just my opinion!
loller90278
3/9/07 12:59:15PM
someone already made this topic a long time ago

i'd go with Tsuyoshi "TK" Kohsaka
and mark hunt
AchillesHeel
3/9/07 2:35:48PM

Posted by loller90278

I would think that anyone who's ever been TKO'd or Submitted by strikes is automatically off the "Best Chin." Kohsaka is tough, sure, but he's been KO'd a few times now. Same with Cabbage.
Stickan
3/9/07 3:28:22PM
Yeah Cabbage is off the list nowadays. I'd say Hunt for sure. Who else can take a CC LHK and not even get wobbly. Or a axe-kick for that matter. I think it's Hunt hands down.
Big Nog a good second.

Can't believe how anyone can say that Diaz wasn't even dazed when he didn't even remember the punch ... Good recovery though.
Ydoc
3/9/07 3:54:26PM

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

P4P i would say Nick Diaz.....Gomi hit him with everything he had and didnt even daze him one bit...blow hard enough to knock him off his feet,but not hard enough to daze him.....a blow hard enough to make a gash 2 inches wide but not strong enough to daze him

Good point... he's also survived bouts with other heavy handed fighters like Robbie Lawler and Joe Riggs, although he did lose to Jeremy Jackson by TKO, but you don't have to be knocked out to be TKO'd.

Hunt and Big Nog can take a lot of punishment.
loller90278
3/9/07 4:51:54PM

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by loller90278

I would think that anyone who's ever been TKO'd or Submitted by strikes is automatically off the "Best Chin." Kohsaka is tough, sure, but he's been KO'd a few times now. Same with Cabbage.

so wandys win over fujita proves that he doesnt have a really strong chin ?

Hunt
Fujita
big nog
TK (watch TK vs HUNT, great fight!!)
AchillesHeel
3/9/07 4:57:45PM

Posted by loller90278

so wandys win over fujita proves that he doesnt have a really strong chin ?

No, but I'd say it's strong evidence that his isn't the best chin.
gimmper
3/9/07 5:29:49PM
Why is Fedor never addressed in best chin catagory...never been Ko'd never been submitted fought the best fighters of his time...and true animals at that...Am I off on my observation. Please Advise
xthe_scottx
3/9/07 5:47:39PM
I'd say Kohsaka, Big Nogueira, and Hunt are up there. Also BJ Penn has a very underrated chin.
loller90278
3/9/07 6:46:58PM

Posted by gimmper

Why is Fedor never addressed in best chin catagory...never been Ko'd never been submitted fought the best fighters of his time...and true animals at that...Am I off on my observation. Please Advise

you're not off, but he hasn't really been hit that HARD for us to judge his chin (besides fedor vs fujita) and that fight showed he can get wobbly and rocked
jdubs
3/9/07 6:51:56PM
hunt
bayonetxwork
3/9/07 7:32:23PM
Cabbage, Hunt, and I'm surprised nobody has said this, but Henderson has a strong chin too.
Northrend
3/9/07 9:32:29PM
Big Nog Hunt Gomi Chuck Cabbage probably leaving out a few people.
Stickan
3/9/07 9:45:35PM
almost forgot.... Fujita has a head made of concrete. People seem to have forgotten about him in threads like these since his loss to Wandy. There's no shame in getting TKOd by Wandy.... instead, remember his war with JT!.

Edit: missed that loller mentioned him. Props to him.
hippysmacker
3/10/07 8:28:45PM
Big Nog, Hunt, Fujita, Diaz, Gomi, Chuck, Cabbage were all nominatred in the thread I put up a long time ago, and all deserve mention IMO. I still take Big Nog. Fedor was bouncing his head off the mat in their first fight and he survived. he's survived beatings from Sapp and cro-cop and came back and won.
Ultimate_fighter
3/11/07 1:53:31PM

Posted by Broknmunky

Who do you think has the best chin in mma?

I would have to go with Cabbage. That can take some punishment that most men would never stand up to IMO!

Ultimate_fighter
3/11/07 1:55:49PM
Nick Diaz?

but didn't he have some weed before the fight? thats why he wouldn't feel anything! but he does have a good chin but not the best
wkm311
3/11/07 3:59:49PM
A few people come to mind....

Big Nog is probably my #1 pic

Cabbage
Fedor
Rampage

Mark Hunt as well...
wkm311
3/12/07 12:13:54PM
Actually come to think of it, Chuck Liddell has a damn good chin himself. Not as good as Big Nog or Hunt, but definitly a hnonorable mention...
gimmper
3/12/07 10:09:46PM
OK...I said fedor but you have to add Big Nog to the list...bad to the bone
tomp6581
3/13/07 10:09:26AM
Mark Hunt, Big Nog probably have the best chins....but I think Fedor and Chuck should be mentioned for their recovery too - Feodr V Randleman/Fujita and Chuck V Guy Mezger for example!