Who has the best BJJ in mma today?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Who has the best BJJ in mma today?
Next Page »
ncordless
7/3/07 1:21:09AM

Several fighters come to mind (Big Nog, BJ, Fihlo, Arona) but I say Shinya Aoki has the most advanced BJJ game in mma today.

What do you guys think?
cmill21
7/3/07 1:30:04AM
In a very close split decision...big nog. List Werdum in the top 10 though. BJ's high up to. Man this question sucks theres so many great practitioners lol.
MisFiT
7/3/07 1:31:21AM
BJ, Arona, and Babalu no doubt.
kevietre
7/3/07 1:41:37AM
Big Nog, BJ Penn, and Serra's is good he dominated Carter till he got caught with the spinning back fist.
ncordless
7/3/07 1:46:18AM
All true... maybe I just go for a little flash, but I don't see the others busting out flying gogoplatas
richieb19
7/3/07 1:51:03AM

Posted by ncordless

Several fighters come to mind (Big Nog, BJ, Fihlo, Arona) but I say Shinya Aoki has the most advanced BJJ game in mma today.

What do you guys think?

Most people actually don't even realize that Aoki is a judo background, not BJJ... that isn't to say that he hasn't ever trained BJJ aswell though.

To answer your question though, Jacare recently fought in MMA, so my pick is him.

Here is a list I found of competitors who fought in ADCC and in MMA. It isn't a complete list (I don't think so anyways)... I realize that not all competitors who compete in ADCC have a BJJ background, but the rules favor BJJ fighters the most. hope it helps:

Hiroyuki Abe (0-3)
Shinya Aoki (1-2)
Sean Alvarez (13-6)
Ricardo Arona (13-0)
Josh Barnett (2-4)
Vitor Belfort (4-2)
Jerry Bohlander (1-2)
Mikey Burnett (1-1)
Murillo Bustamante (6-3)
Marcio 'Pe de Pano' Cruz (13-6)
John Olav Einemo (8-5)
Tom Erikson (1-1)
Urijah Faber (1-1)
Drew Fickett (0-1)
Alexandre 'Pequeno' Franca (1-1)
Marcelo Garcia (19-3)
Takanori Gomi (0-1)
Akihiro Gono (0-1)
Gabriel 'Napao' Gonzaga (4-2)
Renzo Gracie (10-5)
Rodrigo Gracie (6-2)
Roger Gracie (11-1)
Royler Gracie (13-1)
Joachim Hansen (1-1)
Jeremy Horn (1-1)
Matt Hughes (2-2)
Fabiano Iha (4-2)
Denis Kang (0-1)
Mark Kerr (13-1)
John Lewis (1-4)
Matt Lindland (1-2)
Dean Lister (7-2)
Travis Lutter (0-2)
Gilbert Melendez (1-1)
Dave Menne (1-1)
Jeff Monson (16-4)
Ricardo Morais (7-3) pts)
Carlos Newton (1-1)
Antonio Rodrigo 'Minotauro' Nogueira (1-1)
Yushin Okami (0-1)
Tito Ortiz (5-2)
Jorge Patino (1-1)
Jamal Patterson (1-1)
Kurt Pellegrino (1-1)
Pablo Popovich (11-3)
Vitor 'Shaolin' Ribeiro (4-4)
Ricco Rodriguez (16-9)
Joao Roque (2-2)
George St. Pierre (1-1)
Hayato Sakurai (6-3)
Ivan Salaverry (0-2)
Diego Sanchez (1-2)
Jorge Santiago (0-1)
Rumina Sato (0-2)
Matt Serra (3-1)
Jake Shields (2-1)
Elvis Sinosic (1-2)
Renato Sobral 'Babalu' (1-1)
Ronaldo 'Jacare' de Souza (9-2)
Mario Sperry (9-2)
Genki Sudo (0-2)
Oleg Taktarov (1-2)
David Terrel (3-1)
Frank Trigg (0-2)
Caol Uno (3-3)
Mike Van Arsdale (5-8)
Renato Verissimo (1-2-1)
Brandon Vera (0-1) - L-John Olav Einemo
Fabricio Werdum (14-6)
Vernon White (1-2)
Pete Williams (1-1)
Rani Yahya (8-2)
Baret Yoshida (10-9)
ncordless
7/3/07 1:57:30AM

Posted by richieb19

Posted by ncordless

What do you guys think?

Most people actually don't even realize that Aoki is a judo background, not BJJ... that isn't to say that he hasn't ever trained BJJ aswell though.

Yes, he has a Judo background, but he also has a strong BJJ background. I do not know the exact history of Aoki's training... but if you watch him, those ain't judo throws.

I honestly don't know as much about Judo as I'd like too, but I don't remember anyone pulling flying guard in the Olympics.
loller90278
7/3/07 1:58:31AM

Posted by richieb19

Posted by ncordless

What do you guys think?

no, he studies JJ mostly, and im pretty sure of it.. i thought he was judo mostly also.

i think if you check fightfinder u can tell what association hes with or something or his camp, and its JJ.

ncordless
7/3/07 2:03:42AM
Some Judo in there but this looks like BJJ to me.
richieb19
7/3/07 2:31:35AM

Posted by ncordless

Some Judo in there but this looks like BJJ to me.

It confirms what I said right at the beginning of the video... he's a judo guy that also trains BJJ. He trains under Yuki Nakai, who has a black belt in both, but had his BB in judo prior to training with him (I believe anyways)...

Posted by ncordless

Yes, he has a Judo background, but he also has a strong BJJ background. I do not know the exact history of Aoki's training... but if you watch him, those ain't judo throws.

Aoki Judo matches
Aoki nogi throw instructional
mcortez2878
7/3/07 6:47:52AM
penn the guy is amazing
grappler0000
7/3/07 7:03:15AM

Posted by kevietre

Big Nog, BJ Penn, and Serra's is good he dominated Carter till he got caught with the spinning back fist.

I agree with Nog and Penn, but not with Serra...mainly because of the way the question is asked. I would say that Serra has phenomenal BJJ in general, but doesn't use it quite effectively as many others in MMA. I know that sounds odd, but your strategy changes when you involve the other disciplines...and Serra has yet to completely master it in that regard. He is still very good though.
InkedUp
7/3/07 7:41:55AM
BJ IMO simply because who else is going to have the flexability to do some of the things he does?
ffforgottenx
7/3/07 8:33:33AM
once marcelo garcia makes his debut, this question won't need to be asked anymore
Aether
7/3/07 9:06:23AM

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by kevietre

I agree with Nog and Penn, but not with Serra...mainly because of the way the question is asked. I would say that Serra has phenomenal BJJ in general, but doesn't use it quite effectively as many others in MMA. I know that sounds odd, but your strategy changes when you involve the other disciplines...and Serra has yet to completely master it in that regard. He is still very good though.

I agree and I would rule out Werdum for the same reasons. I would rate him as the best PURE JJ practitioner involved in MMA, but he is not the best at implementing JJ into MMA. I would have to give my vote to aoki personally. Big Nog and BJ come in at a very close 2nd/3rd it's very hard to place them because of the weight difference though. If you're going to rate a JJ practitioner's effectiveness in MMA there's a lot more than straight JJ to consider.
boob
7/3/07 9:15:10AM
BJ Penn is a beast on the ground....
Rush
7/3/07 9:15:26AM
I was going purely by BJJ record (i.e. ADCC) I would say Arona

If I was going by effectiveness in MMA, I would say Penn or Big Nog.
loller90278
7/3/07 1:31:31PM

Posted by ffforgottenx

once marcelo garcia makes his debut, this question won't need to be asked anymore

QFT!
big nog,
nick diaz,
jacare
bj penn
shinya aoki
komodo20
7/3/07 2:21:44PM
Matt serra and Jeff Monson are two of the best bjj fighters in mma today.
pv3Hpv3p
7/3/07 3:06:21PM

Posted by loller90278

Posted by ffforgottenx

QFT!
big nog,
nick diaz,
jacare
bj penn
shinya aoki

+1 for Diaz...

I haven't seen many of his fights, but would anyone consider Roger Gracie for this list
placente
7/3/07 3:28:23PM
mayb Rickson gracie he still undeafeted in mma (11-0) and all of them by submission
ffforgottenx
7/3/07 4:12:46PM

Posted by loller90278

Posted by ffforgottenx

QFT!
big nog,
nick diaz,
jacare
bj penn
shinya aoki

what the hell does qft mean?
i'm assuming it had something to do with what i said since you quoted me
Rush
7/3/07 4:18:19PM
QFT = quoted for truth
ncordless
7/3/07 8:17:25PM
One question though about Garcia... I see him engage opponents while on his butt alot of the time... it works great in grappling, but I'm not sure scooting around on his rear end across the cage is going to be particularly effective.

As far as pure BJJ goes, definately Garcia.
jdubs
7/3/07 8:35:03PM
i going with my instinct on this one... id have to say tank abbot
ncordless
7/3/07 8:39:45PM

Posted by jdubs

i going with my instinct on this one... id have to say tank abbot

richieb19
7/3/07 11:50:25PM
Kosen Judo = Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
Manfred
7/4/07 12:31:50AM
Since you brought up Jacare, Richie19, I'm going to apply the same theory to Roger Garcie. He's only had one MMA fight, but it counts!

Someone brought up Rickson, but the question was best BJJ in MMA TODAY. Otherwise I'd agree. On a purely JJ level, he smokes all the Gracies.
richieb19
7/4/07 12:38:46AM

Posted by Manfred

Since you brought up Jacare, Richie19, I'm going to apply the same theory to Roger Garcie. He's only had one MMA fight, but it counts!

Someone brought up Rickson, but the question was best BJJ in MMA TODAY. Otherwise I'd agree. On a purely JJ level, he smokes all the Gracies.

Are you talking about Rickson? Even today he'd most likely get his ass handed to him by Royler... and don't get me wrong, I don't disrespect the Gracie family... but I've never bought into the Rickson hype...

EDIT: If you mean Roger, than disregard the above post.
Manfred
7/4/07 12:44:08AM

Posted by richieb19

Posted by Manfred

Are you talking about Rickson? Even today he'd most likely get his ass handed to him by Royler... and don't get me wrong, I don't disrespect the Gracie family... but I've never bought into the Rickson hype...

The 2nd paragraph was about Rickson. On Jits skills alone, Royler is the only Gracie who is even close. (Rickson did say that Royler was just too small for him.)

Remember this is about BJJ (which is a made up name that started when non-Gracies started using it) not MMA skills. Royce, Rorion, Helio and even Renzo and the rest of Carlos' side all have said Rickson is the family champ.

Of course he's almost 50 now, so I'm sure that has changed

Pages: [1] 2