Best bag for beginner in Muay Thai

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Best bag for beginner in Muay Thai
Timwat
10/20/08 10:09:54AM
Hi all,
I'm a MMA newbie but plan to get started training mainly as a hobby for now. I just ordered a dvd series on Muay Thai to get familiar and in shape before I take any formal classes. I'd like to go ahead and get a heavy bag since I'll be training alone. I'll only have one bag for now so which type would be best? I'm looking at standard heavy bags, the banana type muay thai bags, and the century bob standing bag. Also, I'm 5'11 210 (weight should come down 20-30 lbs with training). Will I need the 100 lb bag if I go with the first two types?

Thanks in advance,
Tim
BlooD_FighteR
10/20/08 5:17:48PM
I Currenty fight muay thai an the best advice i cud give u is start with a lighter bag especialy for kicks as it take a while for your shins to adapt to blows, so that said i wud start conditioning your shins asap regardless of if your fighting or not. Best way to do this is light repeated kicks to the base of a heavy bag. Hope this helps you and good luck with your training! BlooD_FighteR
Jackelope
10/20/08 7:44:57PM
Get the long thai bags. Your first kicks you will be learning should be low kicks. That way you can properly execute your form without feeling like you have to reach higher and higher. With a standard heavy bag you will have to be kicking waist high just to kick it. That will lead to bad form.

You'll hear differing opinions, but I find Revgear bags to hold up quite nicely. Fairtex is recommended by a lot of people (the smooth texture of a fairtex bag is nice) but in my experience they can rip open.
The-Don
10/21/08 8:26:17AM

Posted by Timwat

Hi all,
I'm a MMA newbie but plan to get started training mainly as a hobby for now. I just ordered a dvd series on Muay Thai to get familiar and in shape before I take any formal classes. I'd like to go ahead and get a heavy bag since I'll be training alone. I'll only have one bag for now so which type would be best? I'm looking at standard heavy bags, the banana type muay thai bags, and the century bob standing bag. Also, I'm 5'11 210 (weight should come down 20-30 lbs with training). Will I need the 100 lb bag if I go with the first two types?

Thanks in advance,
Tim

If your completely new the first thing to do is PUT THE TAPES AWAY. No need to take my word for it just read the training threads.. you will pick up some incredibly bad habits from them. I beleive check out alot of Svartom (sp? ) posts and I think Omega as well... Tapes are really only fot those who are trying to add to a pre existing skill set.
Timwat
10/21/08 9:25:06AM
Thanks for the advice guys. Based on your replies, it looks like I may go with the 80lb everlast Thai bag. I was worried it was too light but it sounds like my shins will appreciate it. The dvds I ordered are from Razor Rob Mccullough. Anyone have experience with these? I'll definately check out the threads on learning from tapes The-Don. I'm not expecting to become a master from them, I just thought they may have some useful drills I can practice.

http://www.mmaoverload.com/rob-mccullough-muay-thai.html
bayonetxwork
10/21/08 8:01:31PM

Posted by Timwat

Thanks for the advice guys. Based on your replies, it looks like I may go with the 80lb everlast Thai bag. I was worried it was too light but it sounds like my shins will appreciate it. The dvds I ordered are from Razor Rob Mccullough. Anyone have experience with these? I'll definately check out the threads on learning from tapes The-Don. I'm not expecting to become a master from them, I just thought they may have some useful drills I can practice.

http://www.mmaoverload.com/rob-mccullough-muay-thai.html

Learning from scratch off of videos is a badddd idea, if your serious about actually competing that is. If you just want to mess around for fun and stay in shape by doing it then by all means use the videos. However, if you plan to compete not having someone there to actually walk you through the technique and tell you what your doing wrong is the easiest way to pick up bad habits, and the more you "learn" through videos, the more bad habits you will pick up along the way.