Best 205 fighters who are not in UFC

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Best 205 fighters who are not in UFC
oleg
4/19/08 6:57:09PM
Last week, I posted about the top light heavyweight fighters in the UFC. As I mentioned, the UFC has the 205 lbs division in a tight chokehold; according to FightMatrix.com rankings , they have sixteen of the Top 20 active light heavyweights

With the UFC so heavily invested in the division, no other MMA promotion has been able to put together a competitive stable of light heavyweights. Still, there are a few fighters not locked into Zuffa contracts who have the skills and talent to give the UFC’s best a run for their money, and the name recognition to pique the interest of MMA fans. With Tito Ortiz claiming he is on the way out of the UFC as well, there may be an opportunity here for another promotion - if they are able to sign most of these fighters.

Six best light heavyweights outside of the UFC
Twenty20Dollars
4/19/08 7:18:16PM
Only tito would be if he went back to his badass self then he would rule.

I agree with some of these.
UFC needs to get these guys
Arona
Ant-Rog-Nog
Vitor(would love to see him back in UFC)
Babalu-prolly a mistake letting him go(because the same thing happen with bj and jens pulver only bj is still in UFC, still alot of solid match ups for babalu if he was still in the UFC but whatever)
Brian Stann(still young but shows promise strong chin and can throw a punch gets more experience and could be even more dangerous also doesnt have much competition at 205 in WEC)

I dont know if i agree with vlad and mike whitehead

Dont know if whitehead could hang with top competition, because he fought IFL which isnt the deepest talent pool

Same thing with Vlad.
wolfman
4/19/08 7:20:01PM
Vlad needs to be back in the UFC.
oleg
4/19/08 7:20:37PM
I think they both definately can hang. Matyshenko went 5 rounds with Tito in his prime. Whitehead lost to Rashad & Jardine but both were pretty close fights.
juanez13
4/19/08 7:26:26PM

Posted by wolfman

agreed. But still i'd put Lil Nog, Belfort, and babalu ahead of him.
wolfman
4/19/08 7:37:45PM

Posted by juanez13

Posted by wolfman

I agree too. I came across an article that said Dana is actually leaving the door open to Babalu, he just has to get a few wins under his belt again. I'll try and find it...
oleg
4/19/08 7:45:52PM
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/mma_ufc83notebook
juanez13
4/19/08 7:55:59PM

Posted by wolfman

Posted by juanez13

Posted by wolfman

I agree too. I came across an article that said Dana is actually leaving the door open to Babalu, he just has to get a few wins under his belt again. I'll try and find it...

NOTES - White says the UFC is still in negotiations with out-of-contract heavyweight Andrei Arlovski ... He also opened the door for Brazilian light-heavyweight Renato (Babalu) Sobral to return, providing he puts together a few wins over quality opponents ...

LINK at the bottom
wolfman
4/20/08 2:56:57AM
Nice, you guys found it. I was going to post it in the news section earlier in the day, but I got sidetracked...
Gipper
4/20/08 3:30:51AM
babalu
nog
arona
EON
4/20/08 4:08:26AM
Lil Nog, Manhoef, Vitor, Sobral
oleg
4/20/08 1:17:29PM
Manhoef mostly fights at 185
F--K_Luck_AuH2O
4/20/08 7:07:35PM
I see Gegard Moussasi would be the next one listed. I suppose because his last fight was at 205. Now that motherufcker is amazing! But he's dropping back down to middleweight.

Also, despite him being rankd somewhere in teh 50's (opposition at a minimal I suppose) I believe Glover Teixera will be a force. Discounting his first fight (which was a loss in like 2002) since Glover has returned he's been pretty unstopable...he went through long periods when he would only fight once a year, but now seems as if he'll go ahead and make a run at MMA as a profession since he's fighting regularly now.

Also does anybody know what nationality he ios. He's not American. Apparently Sherdog reports that UFC is trying to sign him but he has trouble with his visa.
oleg
4/20/08 8:38:42PM
From his name I would guess Texeira is Brazilian
EON
4/20/08 10:05:00PM

Posted by oleg

Manhoef mostly fights at 185

He mostly fought in Light Heavy actually, then half and half around 2006. The first part of his MMA career he was Light Heavy, even a few Heavyweight fights and didnt fight at Middleweight until about 2006 against Oyama and Akiyama, so yeah your right these days hes mostly at 185 but hes still switching it up having fought at 205 last year once against Ackah. Not to mention in K-1 he fights at heavyer weights.
tylerlee123
4/21/08 2:17:34PM
Lil Nog, Arona, Babalu
Kpro
4/21/08 5:08:09PM

Posted by F--K_Luck_AuH2O

Also, despite him being rankd somewhere in teh 50's (opposition at a minimal I suppose) I believe Glover Teixera will be a force. Discounting his first fight (which was a loss in like 2002) since Glover has returned he's been pretty unstopable...he went through long periods when he would only fight once a year, but now seems as if he'll go ahead and make a run at MMA as a profession since he's fighting regularly now.

Also does anybody know what nationality he ios.

As Oleg stated, Teixeira is Brazilian. Born in Sobralia, Brazil says Wikipedia (which never lies)
disorderlyvision
4/21/08 7:26:14PM

Posted by juanez13

Posted by wolfman

Posted by juanez13

Posted by wolfman

NOTES - White says the UFC is still in negotiations with out-of-contract heavyweight Andrei Arlovski ... He also opened the door for Brazilian light-heavyweight Renato (Babalu) Sobral to return, providing he puts together a few wins over quality opponents ...

LINK at the bottom

why would bobalu need to "string together" wins. it is not like he went out on a loss. he killed heath. why not treat it mor like a suspension for holding the choke, and just sign him now.
The-Don
5/19/08 3:03:01PM

Posted by disorderlyvision

Posted by juanez13

Posted by wolfman

Posted by juanez13

Posted by wolfman

LINK at the bottom

why would bobalu need to "string together" wins. it is not like he went out on a loss. he killed heath. why not treat it mor like a suspension for holding the choke, and just sign him now.

Thats just Dana's excuse... Dana seems like a small man at times. Just like the shot at Fedor.. he is pissed cause Fedor turned him down... Even though Fedor destroyed not once but twice the UFC's current champ.
pv3Hpv3p
5/19/08 4:05:16PM
Out of those fighters I think Lil nog would be the best signing... he's got a solid all around game and will pose a threat to any LHW... I'd like to see a rematch against Soko as well to get that monkey off his back...
mrsmiley
5/20/08 7:54:54AM

Posted by The-Don

Posted by disorderlyvision

Posted by juanez13

Posted by wolfman

Posted by juanez13

Posted by wolfman

LINK at the bottom

Thats just Dana's excuse... Dana seems like a small man at times. Just like the shot at Fedor.. he is pissed cause Fedor turned him down... Even though Fedor destroyed not once but twice the UFC's current champ.

tylerlee123
5/25/08 2:53:38PM
LiL Nog, Arona, Babalu, Manohef, Belfort and now Ortiz