Who is the best 1980's Action Star?

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Who is the best 1980's Action Star?
POLL: Who is the best 1980's Action Star?
Arnold Schwarzenegger 63% (22)
Jean Claude Van Damme 9% (3)
Steven Segal 6% (2)
Sylvester Stallone 11% (4)
Chuck Norris 9% (3)
Dolph Lungdren 3% (1)
The_Metal_Maniac
8/20/09 11:04:42AM
Who do you guys think?
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1 Photo Attachment 2 Photo Attachment 3 Photo Attachment 4 Photo Attachment 5
The_Metal_Maniac
8/20/09 11:05:29AM
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
emfleek
8/20/09 11:10:38AM
The_Metal_Maniac
8/20/09 11:12:18AM
Lol, all though I didn't have any intention of this becoming a Chuck Norris sayings thread I should have assumed to see a good bit. Delta Force doesn't compare to Commando to me lol.
grappler0000
8/20/09 12:16:50PM
Ahnold...hands down!
DCRage
8/20/09 12:19:19PM
Yo Adrian! Rambo, I mean Sly gets my vote.
Aaronno9
8/20/09 12:29:25PM
Arnie for me.
AchillesHeel
8/20/09 1:06:03PM
From the poll options, I chose Schwarzenegger:
Predator (1987)
The Terminator (1984)
Conan the Barbarian (1981)
The rest of his '80s movies were all pretty "meh", although I give him bonus points for prolificness.

However, Steven Segal and Dolph Lundgren don't even belong in the conversation.

Mel Gibson isn't listed,
Lethal Weapon 2 (1989)
Lethal Weapon (1987)
The Road Warrior (1981)
Gallipoli (1981)

...and neither is Harrison Ford.
Return of the Jedi (1983)
Blade Runner (1982)
Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)
The Empire Strikes Back (1980)

Gallipoli and Blade Runner might demand too broad a definition of action movie, but even if you discard those two, Gibson and Ford each have a pair of genre-defining films and performances on their resume. Segal and Lundgren aren't even in their league.

Honorable Mentions should go to Peter Weller (Robocop), Michael Douglas (Romancing the Stone), Christopher Reeve (Superman II), and Kurt Russell (Escape from New York), but one movie isn't enough to get them on a short list, even though their one belongs in any top 20 list of '80s action movies.

However, I think an argument can be made for including Bruce Willis on this list, on the strength of a single movie. Die Hard isn't just an '80s action movie, it might be the '80s action movie, and his John McClane might be the defining performance of the whole bunch. I'm not settled on the issue, and I may never be; It remains one of the great "bar-stool" debates.
The_Metal_Maniac
8/20/09 1:22:54PM

Posted by AchillesHeel

Predator (1987)
The Terminator (1984)
The rest of his '80s movies were all pretty "meh", although I give him bonus points for prolificness.

Mel Gibson isn't listed,
Lethal Weapon 2 (1989)
Lethal Weapon (1987)
The Road Warrior (1981)
Gallipoli (1981)

Blade Runner (1982)

Gallipoli and Blade Runner might demand too broad a definition of action movie, but even if you discard those two, Gibson and Ford each have a pair of genre-defining films and performances on their resume. Segal and Lundgren aren't even in their league.

Honorable Mentions should go to Peter Weller (Robocop), Michael Douglas (Romancing the Stone), Christopher Reeve (Superman II), and Kurt Russell (Escape from New York), but one movie isn't enough to get them on a short list, even though their one belongs in any top 20 list of '80s action movies.

However, I think an argument can be made for including Bruce Willis on this list, on the strength of a single movie. Die Hard isn't just an '80s action movie, it might be the '80s action movie, and his John McClane might be the defining performance of the whole bunch. I'm not settled on the issue, and I may never be; It remains one of the great "bar-stool" debates.

Took everything you stated into account prior to starting this poll. However to my dismay the poll only allows for six choices.
The_Metal_Maniac
8/20/09 1:24:31PM

Posted by The_Metal_Maniac

Posted by AchillesHeel

Predator (1987)
The Terminator (1984)

Mel Gibson isn't listed,
Lethal Weapon 2 (1989)
Lethal Weapon (1987)
The Road Warrior (1981)
Gallipoli (1981)

Blade Runner (1982)

Took everything you stated into account prior to starting this poll. However
to my dismay the poll only allows for six choices.

Also Die Hard is a great movie that spawned a great franchise. However to me Predator pretty much is the definitive action movie of the 80's to me. Commando follows up with a close second.
AchillesHeel
8/20/09 2:26:30PM
Commando?!

The_Metal_Maniac
8/20/09 2:44:25PM

Posted by AchillesHeel

Commando?!

Any movie in which I can see Arnold drive a breakless Bronco down a mountain is worth ranking in the top five. lol
cowcatcher
8/20/09 3:55:18PM
arnold hands down, just dont tell chuck i said so.
kopower
8/20/09 5:21:25PM
Arnold was all about kicking ass and asking questions later. Jean Claude was decent but always had the love scenes in his movies. Arnold was so cold and gangsta!!
mkiv9secsupra
8/20/09 5:41:19PM
Whoever picked Seagal, i hate you! Just kiddin'

That guys is possibly one of the worst actors i have ever seen. He is all the way down there with the likes of Ja Rule!!!

I picked Stallone from the list. A close second goes to Arnold
Nightmare27
8/22/09 2:12:32AM
Conan is fu*king epic!! JCVD is close second for me.

Did anyone else notice that Filho came out to the Conan theme song against Manhoef? Has he always used that?
bigbubbano23
8/22/09 3:01:28AM
i remember that i laughed my ass off, and nobody knew why.
ButterBalls
8/25/09 8:01:28PM
Dolph all the way. However, the fact that Brian Bosworth isn't on here is a disgrace.