Bernie Fine fired by Syracuse

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Bernie Fine fired by Syracuse
Shawn91111
11/28/11 12:23:58AM
Syracuse University fired associate head basketball coach Bernie Fine on Sunday in the wake of an investigation of child molestation allegations against him.

"At the direction of Chancellor Cantor, Bernie Fine's employment with Syracuse University has been terminated, effective immediately," Kevin Quinn, the school's senior vice president for public affairs, said in a statement.

The 65-year-old Fine was in his 36th season at his alma mater. He had the longest active streak of consecutive seasons at one school among assistant coaches in Division I.

Fine's firing comes in the wake of new revelations Sunday, including a third accuser. Syracuse had placed Fine on paid administrative leave when accusations first surfaced.

Jim Boeheim's statement "The allegations that have come forth today are disturbing and deeply troubling. I am personally very shocked because I have never witnessed any of the activities that have been alleged," said Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim in a statement. "I believe the university took the appropriate step tonight. What is most important is that this matter be fully investigated and that anyone with information be supported to come forward so that the truth can be found. I deeply regret any statements I made that might have inhibited that from occurring or been insensitive to victims of abuse."

LINK
Shawn91111
11/28/11 12:28:08AM
As a lifelong Syracuse fan the allegations was a bit hard to take. I saw them letting Fine go and trying to distance themselves a while ago but hopefully nothing comes of JB knowing about this back then etc.
Pookie
11/28/11 1:48:08AM
damn college sports coaches are taking it to children nowadays

but on a serious note - why wait until your 27 to say something? And if it continued to happen into your adult years, why the fuck would you continue to let that shit happen to you. By the sound of the story, that kind of sounds like he's partially to blame too.
Chael_Sonnen
11/28/11 2:04:21AM
Good
emfleek
11/28/11 11:56:20AM

Posted by Pookie

By the sound of the story, that kind of sounds like he's partially to blame too.

Most mental health professionals would disagree with that. Maaaaaaany psychological reasons can be cited.

Fine is a POS. Period.
cowcatcher
11/28/11 12:04:28PM

Posted by Pookie

damn college sports coaches are taking it to children nowadays

but on a serious note - why wait until your 27 to say something? And if it continued to happen into your adult years, why the fuck would you continue to let that shit happen to you. By the sound of the story, that kind of sounds like he's partially to blame too.

Some people might say you're being insensitive by saying that, but I think those are valid questions that people have. Personally I can't put any blame on them though. I don't know their state of mind but I'm pretty sure they were mental messes considering what happened and fear is an irrational emotion that leads to irrational actions, or at least things that would seem irrational to a rationally thinking person looking at the situation from the outside. It's a terrible situation for the victims, and a disgusting thing these animals did to them on both big cases out there.

B went to bat for this guy right away which leads me to believe that he knew absolutely nothing about what was going on and should be in the clear.
Poor_Franklin
11/28/11 6:28:34PM
supposedly they got audio of his wife confessing to knowing about this stuff...

uh oh
Shawn91111
11/28/11 7:16:08PM
ESPN says they have had the audio since 02-03'ish
gartface
11/29/11 8:10:47AM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Pookie

By the sound of the story, that kind of sounds like he's partially to blame too.

Most mental health professionals would disagree with that. Maaaaaaany psychological reasons can be cited.

Fine is a POS. Period.

In so many cases of abuse, the one being abused is often conditioned mentally to believe they're in the wrong and that they "deserve" it. It happens a lot in domestic violence cases, and even on a smaller scale with dysfunctional relationships. If a person has been demoralized their entire life, that's the only thing they're going to know, and they're going to think it's a regular occurrence.
emfleek
11/29/11 9:47:29AM

Posted by Shawn91111

So ESPN's been sitting on this audio and not doing a thing about it, yet, just about everyone on the network has spent the last 2-3 weeks lambasting Paterno for "not doing enough" when he was told about Jerry Sandusky?

Wow.

KungFuMaster
11/29/11 1:43:32PM

Posted by gartface

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Pookie

Fine is a POS. Period.

In so many cases of abuse, the one being abused is often conditioned mentally to believe they're in the wrong and that they "deserve" it. It happens a lot in domestic violence cases, and even on a smaller scale with dysfunctional relationships. If a person has been demoralized their entire life, that's the only thing they're going to know, and they're going to think it's a regular occurrence.

That is exactly the psychology of abuse. The victims feel so helpless and trapped that the courage to leave seems like an impossible feat because doing so would be taking themselves away from their comfort zone which is the only thing they know. This is the number one reason why many victims of abuse stay with their abusers and it usually occurs in a relationship between a man and a woman.

There is a reason why many victims do not come forward and it circulates around what gartface said. Many other victims only come forward after a long pursuit of inner development and maturity. It may take a few years. It may take a decade. It may take a lifetime for many victims to heal and be able to speak about it - and it may take even longer for many victims to confront their abusers.

The sad part about abuse cases is - for every case we hear about, there are hundreds and thousands of cases which will never be reported.
KungFuMaster
11/29/11 2:16:33PM
I would also like to add - often times victims do not come forward willingly and it is only through the support and encouragement of friends, families, and law enforcement officers that many victims are able to file charges against their abusers. In many instances, the victims are willing to forget the abuse ever took place and would rather live their lives without ever having to talk about it or deal with the issue. They would much rather suppress the memory than to re-live it. And if you are ever in the presence of a victim of abuse, don't you ever say, "Why did you not come forward when it first happened?"

You don't ever want to blame the victim. The victim has been blamed and tormented by his abuser(s). What he or she needs is simply comfort and support. Unless you are a victim yourself, you cannot possibly know the hurt the victim has had to endure >>> pain, suffering, lack of self esteem, lack of trust, a lack of many things that make everyday people happy etc.
BuffaloDave
11/29/11 3:34:04PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Shawn91111

So ESPN's been sitting on this audio and not doing a thing about it, yet, just about everyone on the network has spent the last 2-3 weeks lambasting Paterno for "not doing enough" when he was told about Jerry Sandusky?

Wow.

Yeah, Colin Dipshit was trying to defend ESPN actions on The Herd.
Pookie
11/29/11 5:13:11PM
My rationale comes from projection. If i was the person being abused, and i allowed it to happen for whatever reason, i would put the blame upon myself in a sense that i could've got this to stop earlier. I think Personal Responsibility is self-beneficial in this regard.
KungFuMaster
11/29/11 6:56:56PM

Posted by Pookie

My rationale comes from projection. If i was the person being abused, and i allowed it to happen for whatever reason, i would put the blame upon myself in a sense that i could've got this to stop earlier. I think Personal Responsibility is self-beneficial in this regard.

Pookie, my buddy, I know you are a smart guy but I also know you are young. No one here is bashing you for your opinion. I know it is very difficult to understand why someone would let terrible things happen to him or her without seeking retribution. You have many years of wisdom ahead of you and so do I but I have a few years on you.

I used to live in an apartment complex - next to a psychopath who had threatened to kill his wife on numerous occasions. People who abuse others put fear into them. They control the abuse's every action and many times it takes more than courage to leave the abuser. It takes intervention by families, friends, and or law enforcement officers to help the abuse.

I know it is easy to say you will simply not allow the abuse to persist and would seek help by reporting the incident but it is much more complicated than that and much more sensitive. The physical side of abuse - no matter how severe can heal most of the time. It is the mental side of abuse which traps many victims into believing there is nothing they can do to help the situation. Mind control is a powerful thing and once you achieve it, you are literally god and your subjects are literally slaves.

If a victim has been abused more than once, it usually means mind control has already taken place and the more abuse which follows, the more control the abuser has over his victim(s).

There is a saying in my culture - If you love your wife, she will cheat on you and leave you. If you beat her, she is forever yours.

It is a condescending and sarcastic prose but the psychology behind it makes it so true.
Shawn91111
11/29/11 9:26:11PM
Damn you Pookie for being so young.
Pookie
11/30/11 3:04:52AM

Posted by Shawn91111

At least i'm not letting myself get raped.
emfleek
11/30/11 8:36:14AM

Posted by Pookie

Posted by Shawn91111

Liar.
cowcatcher
11/30/11 10:42:32AM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Pookie

Posted by Shawn91111

Liar.

I chortled.